Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 3 Texas Tech (NCAA Tournament S16)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rewatched the second half. I still think that’s an obvious technical on the TT big with 35 sec left. He deliberately smacks Roach well after the whistle. But no T. Just a review that ices our shooter in a single bonus.

That was bullshit. In my mind, the refs figured Duke was safely ahead and didn't want to deal with the idiotic college basketball fans that would point to that correct call as "DOOK GETS ALL TEH CALLS!!1!"

Rewatched the second half. I still think that’s an obvious technical on the TT big with 35 sec left. He deliberately smacks Roach well after the whistle. But no T. Just a review that ices our shooter in a single bonus.

That was bullshit. In my mind, the refs figured Duke was safely ahead and didn't want to deal with the idiotic college basketball fans that would point to that correct call as "DOOK GETS ALL TEH CALLS!!1!"
I kind of disagree. The play was dead and Roach went up for essentially a practice shot. He doesn’t have any right or expectation of protection in a dead ball situation like that. I kind of like the idea that if the offensive player is going to take a practice shot attempt, the defensive player can take a practice block attempt.

The foul is the issue, but I don’t think there’s a good answer there. If it had been a more serious foul, I’d be curious to hear what the “expert ref” would say.

Check out all of the geniuses over at ESPN that know it all about college basketball. The hate for Duke success is so obvious. I hope they eat crow all year awaiting next season.

I kind of disagree. The play was dead and Roach went up for essentially a practice shot. He doesn’t have any right or expectation of protection in a dead ball situation like that. I kind of like the idea that if the offensive player is going to take a practice shot attempt, the defensive player can take a practice block attempt.

The foul is the issue, but I don’t think there’s a good answer there. If it had been a more serious foul, I’d be curious to hear what the “expert ref” would say.

My issue is that he didn't go for a practice attempt block, though. He shoved his forearm into Roach mid-air without making any attempt on the ball.

^^^^

FOrI35jVsAQXD0_.jpg

this validates my eye test they made some bullshit over Mark in the 2H. But man we kill ourselves giving away so many points off live ball turnovers needlessly.

Thanks for that. I'm wondering where they are getting the data for these variables. I guess it would have to be some sort of AI tracking players, but it's odd they don't market that. Some sort of manual input would be a pretty caveman way to produce analytics like this. Not trying to be cynical since from what I've seen SQ seems reliable, but I'd be curious about seeing the individual shot quality across the Michigan State game to see three point shot quality increase or decrease based on contested looks or wide open catch and shoot.

The turnovers were rough last night and gave Tech a lifeline. There were also a few Duke bricks that careened right into their hands for running starts that led to transition layups. More than usually is the case imo.

@JohaadDBC I think slap’s reply said it best that TT’s big guy didn’t make any attempt on the ball. All he did was blatantly smack a guy in the gut. If it had been a live ball, it would have been a flagrant 1. Should have been a dead ball technical.

@JohaadDBC I think slap’s reply said it best that TT’s big guy didn’t make any attempt on the ball. All he did was blatantly smack a guy in the gut. If it had been a live ball, it would have been a flagrant 1. Should have been a dead ball technical.
Admittedly, I was buzzed. But I didn’t see it that way in the moment. I want to see a replay for my own sake, but I trust your eyes. If it was someone like @rhfarmer saying this, I’d have to verify he had on his spectacles.

Are you just wanting to be contrarian for no reason in particular? Since when can you physically impede an opposing player's movement just because the play is blown dead?

This is a bad take.

This is a bad take.

Are you just wanting to be contrarian for no reason in particular? Since when can you physically impede an opposing player's movement just because the play is blown dead?
Woah, calm down boys. I imagine you guys should know that I don’t play the contrarian just to do so.

Again, I’ve yet to watch the replay. Initial (admittedly buzzed) reaction was that he went for the ball and some contact happened. In the moment, I looked at it as a more physical version of a center blocking a dead ball 3 attempt.

I’ll happily admit when I’m wrong. Based on the takes here by people I respect, I imagine I’m wrong. Eventually today I’ll find the clip and check it out again.

In fairness to @JohaadDBC, I didn't know what everyone was commenting about because the play didn't even register to me live. Plus it's not unusual for there to be contact after the whistle if the offensive player keeps making a move. I imagine they don't punish defensive players in these instances because if the offensive guy keeps making a move the defender can claim they weren't sure if it was blown dead. That said, I didn't really comment because I had no recollection of it, and if it was excessive then a tech would have been warranted.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom