Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 3 Texas Tech (NCAA Tournament S16)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since you might not find a replay @Grit and @JohaadDBC, here's a recap. The play was clearly blown dead. The TTU player knew it was blown dead. Roach slowly continues from the point of the foul call (around the FT line) towards the rim. The stationary TTU defender, who isn't even directly facing the now airborne Roach, reaches out his arm and brings Roach back down to the ground without even touching the ball.

Preventing a player from seeing a shot go in the basket by way of blocking the shot is one thing. Preventing a player by physical obstruction is another.

I can't seem to find the play in question to link to the video of it but I agree that it should've been called as a deadball technical foul. The play was clearly over, everybody on the court knew the play was over because everybody stopped playing. Then the Texas Tech dude just clotheslines Roach in the chest in mid-air.

It is alarming that CBS has 985 cameras and we can't get one .gif of the players slapping the floor. That 12-5 run to end the game was so epic that I didn't realize we went over 8 minutes without missing a shot.

I feel like it's not that rare in the NBA for defenders to basically bear hug guys doing that, or bring them back down safely if they try to jump. I don't know what the actual rule is though, I'd be curious to know too.

I can't seem to find the play in question to link to the video of it but I agree that it should've been called as a deadball technical foul. The play was clearly over, everybody on the court knew the play was over because everybody stopped playing. Then the Texas Tech dude just clotheslines Roach in the chest in mid-air.
I don’t know why I’m continuing down this path, because my beliefs aren’t strongly held here, but if everyone stopped playing, Roach wouldn’t have continued to the basket on a layup attempt. I’ve always felt that if an offensive player continues after the whistle, the defender should be able to as well. It seems this was an extreme example of it, but conceptually I don’t think it’s wrong.

I can watch the replay on youtubeTV. I'll see if I can record it to something shareable. It's a pretty clear thwap to the chest though, and waaay after the whistle. The foul is called near half court and the contact in question is at the basket.

I don’t know why I’m continuing down this path, because my beliefs aren’t strongly held here, but if everyone stopped playing, Roach wouldn’t have continued to the basket on a layup attempt. I’ve always felt that if an offensive player continues after the whistle, the defender should be able to as well. It seems this was an extreme example of it, but conceptually I don’t think it’s wrong.
Roach isn't continuing to play in any meaningful way though. He casually jogs towards the basket. And the defender doesn't continue to play either. He just hits Roach in the chest when Roach goes up to the basket.

I’ve always felt that if an offensive player continues after the whistle, the defender should be able to as well. It seems this was an extreme example of it, but conceptually I don’t think it’s wrong.

That would be a foul if the ball was still in play. He committed a clear foul with no attempt at going for the ball... in a dead-ball situation.

I’ve always felt that if an offensive player continues after the whistle, the defender should be able to as well. It seems this was an extreme example of it, but conceptually I don’t think it’s wrong.

That would be a foul if the ball was still in play. He committed a clear foul with no attempt at going for the ball... in a dead-ball situation.
It’s like when there’s multiple fouls on a drive. The first foul is called, and the second (often after the whistle) isn’t. I just don’t get the outrage here. I’ll find a replay one way or another. I’ve got to see this again.

It’s like when there’s multiple fouls on a drive. The first foul is called, and the second (often after the whistle) isn’t. I just don’t get the outrage here. I’ll find a replay one way or another. I’ve got to see this again.

Here you're describing a bang bang play situation, which is not relevant to this discussion whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure it's technically supposed to be a tech if you keep playing that far after the whistle and go for a dunk or whatever, in the same way it's technically supposed to be a tech if you make any contact after the whistle. I assume they decided to just let both go rather than selectively enforcing a gray area in a tight game, which doesn't seem unreasonable unless the contact is dangerous or something.

Dang it, I wish I could find a replay for you @JohaadDBC . Roach was fouled while inside the halfcourt logo. Every single player had stopped playing long before the dead ball foul.

I don’t think anyone is arguing it was dirty or warranted ejected, but it was clearly excessive and unnecessary contact long after play was whistled dead.

I'm pretty sure it's technically supposed to be a tech if you keep playing that far after the whistle and go for a dunk or whatever, in the same way it's technically supposed to be a tech if you make any contact after the whistle. I assume they decided to just let both go rather than selectively enforcing a gray area in a tight game, which doesn't seem unreasonable unless the contact is dangerous or something.
This is what I’m trying to say.

Got a source? All I could find is that it technically could warrant an official warning.

I don’t buy that at all. Players shoot after whistles probably a half dozen times a game. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen a T called for it unless it was some super aggressive dunk and yell or some shit. I don’t think that’s remotely similar to blatantly fouling someone with no attempt on the ball after the whistle.

Agree with 287 with the reasoning. Let the players decide the game blah, blah but the TT player in question did wrap his arm around Roach's whole body and obviously Jeremy didn't appreciate it. One thing's for sure if Mark did it we would have been penalized. Grant called it an old Charles Oakley move. I would have loved to hear Steratore's thoughts.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom