Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weather Thread

I thought the reason I've hated trying to do anything productive outside this summer was advancing age so I'm glad to read that you kids are hating it, too.
Just yesterday morning I found it so unbearable, I had to forego my regular routine of enjoying a cup of coffee while watching my yard crew work. Disgusting.

We've had like 10 days in a row of 110+ degrees here in Vegas. Luckily it's dry heat so the humidity is almost non-existent. But it gets annoyingly hot when it's above 110 degrees. Last week we had one day where it hit 117 degrees. Even had a random ass rain shower (I had headache, said 0% chance then 4 hrs later it rains for 15 minutes lmao) when it was 114 degrees out. Hoping we only have another week or so of the 110+ and then we can get back to low to mid 100s.

The southwest will soon have a great sports culture like Big Ten country, and Big Ten country will soon have no interest in sports, like Miami. Much of the year will be unbearable to do anything outdoors in the southwest, so they'll just have sports watching and beer to stave off depression, while the entire year will be fantastic for outdoor activities in Big Ten country, which will become the least depressing place in America. Miami will be irrelevant, as it will no longer exist.

I saw yesterday where somewhere like Phoenix set a new record for highest overnight low of either 97 or 98.
Dry heat, though, so not that bad, right?
I don't hate all of Arizona, but Phoenix is my least favorite city in the country.

It's like if you took LA, removed the film industry, and made it 20 degrees hotter. Just endless urban sprawl and hellish freeways, all baking in an inferno.

Vegas and Phoenix dry heat have nothing on how disgusting Houston’s heat + humidity are. I’m from the south and have lived with humidity my whole life, but living in Houston in the summertime was so gross. 100° all summer with humidity in the 90% range constantly. The second you step outside, you immediately start sweating and never stop.

The city is also lame.

Vegas and Phoenix dry heat have nothing on how disgusting Houston’s heat + humidity are. I’m from the south and have lived with humidity my whole life, but living in Houston in the summertime was so gross. 100° all summer with humidity in the 90% range constantly. The second you step outside, you immediately start sweating and never stop.

The city is also lame.

Having lived here for almost two summers now, I agree that the Vegas heat is nothing compared to heat + humidity seen elsewhere (but especially Houston). I have only one real memory from when I visited Houston when I was like 6 years old. I just remember not being able to stop sweating and being so confused because there was nothing I could do to stop sweating. So yeah, I will take dry heat over heat + humidity any day of the week. Nebraska's summers were worse than Vegas as well solely because of the humidity. Once you get used to it here, it's not bad at all except for like the two-three weeks above 110, then the rest of the year it's pretty comfortable.

My memories of Houston are:

1) Driving for almost two hours to get across the city. I swear it's 50 miles across.

2) Good restaurants. I'm sure Phoenix has those too, though.

Dry heat is better, but once you get up to 115 degrees it sucks either way.

I was driving around in it. It was fucking nuts. Saw a trash can lid and a rain gutter blowing by. One of the gates that descends when a train comes split in half.

Got home and my house basically took the worst of it. My entire driveway is blocked. There's a hanging power line. Somehow they still aren't here to fix despite it representing the worst public safety issue I saw anywhere around town.

I would post pictures, but my phone's internet is too slow. Sitting in the dark and sweating my ass off. Hopefully this isn't the next several days of my life. I don't have money for a hotel. This is literally the brokest 2-3 weeks I experience every year.

Also why is the Ninth Street and Watts-Hillandale area absolute shit for cell service? I can't even make calls because normally I rely on the internet to do it.

Also why is the Ninth Street and Watts-Hillandale area absolute shit for cell service? I can't even make calls because normally I rely on the internet to do it.

I live thereabouts. No power, no cell phone service. The storm was absolutely fucking insane. I went up north to a relatives and I still don't have service, but luckily their power and internet works.

No cell service in south Durham either. At least with T-Mobile. I fortunately never lost power or internet, so haven’t really noticed. Had a small tree fall in a wooded area.

It's been a problem in this area for as long as cell phones have existed. I find it ridiculous that I can't get a single bar of 4G on a well frequented street like Ninth St. I've never had this issue in any other city.

I was in an old work truck dropping off some patio chairs at my sister's (vacant) house and didn't bring a key. Truck died when I got there, at about 4:10. Called someone like ten west asking for a ride and they were like uhhh are you fucking kidding? Everything seemed normal where I was, though.

Fast forward five minutes, world is ending. I decide to stay in the truck rather than hide under the porch roof, since the lightning seems really close (neighbors kids claimed to see it strike a few feet from their house). Not ideal.

Giant oak smashes on neighbor's roof, and another falls from the back of the lot line, straight to me, topping out about 6 inches from the windshield. Fortunately, I could only see about 6 inches out the window at the time, so I didn't see it coming, just felt it thump down on the hood. Was legitimately worried for my safety.

I'm worried power is going to stay out for a long time now. Duke is showing 72k (households, I assume?) without power in Durham, and I saw a ton of huge trees down on lines driving around. Not sure I've been around for a worse non-winter storm since Fran.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom