Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weather Thread

That was the worst storm I can recall in my nearly 40 years. I’m in the west central part of Orange County and our area was crushed. Immediately after the storm, all routes out of my home to get near civilization were blocked by trees and downed power lines. I literally went east out of my neighborhood, forced to turn around not even a quarter mile down the road. Went the other direction and at the intersection I looked south and saw the road blocked by a tree, so turned and went north and about half a mile down rescue crews and other folks out cleaning up a downed tree over the road. Fucking nuts.

I was standing in the kitchen when the storm was happening with my four year old. We were looking out the window to the backyard and it just looked like a wall of storm and…..destruction, coming our way. It was so insane. Never seen anything like it. The worst of it happened in about 15-20 seconds.

Our power came back on around 3 am, but we left yesterday afternoon to take shelter at my in-laws in North Durham. The Cole Mill/Guess/Hillandale/Croasdaile/Rose of Sharon Roads area are all a mess, too.

I was in an old work truck dropping off some patio chairs at my sister's (vacant) house and didn't bring a key. Truck died when I got there, at about 4:10. Called someone like ten west asking for a ride and they were like uhhh are you fucking kidding? Everything seemed normal where I was, though.

Fast forward five minutes, world is ending. I decide to stay in the truck rather than hide under the porch roof, since the lightning seems really close (neighbors kids claimed to see it strike a few feet from their house). Not ideal.

Giant oak smashes on neighbor's roof, and another falls from the back of the lot line, straight to me, topping out about 6 inches from the windshield. Fortunately, I could only see about 6 inches out the window at the time, so I didn't see it coming, just felt it thump down on the hood. Was legitimately worried for my safety.

I'm worried power is going to stay out for a long time now. Duke is showing 72k (households, I assume?) without power in Durham, and I saw a ton of huge trees down on lines driving around. Not sure I've been around for a worse non-winter storm since Fran.

It only lasted 15 minutes (at least where I was). What does that kind of destruction in 15 minutes besides a tornado?

Duke Power said they would be getting to my area today, for the record.

I wonder if the 72K includes businesses? All of Hillsborough Road is without power, for example.

I'm at the library. The entire parking lot was full. Everyone is here with their laptop trying to use the internet. Obviously their internet isn't equipped for 500 people trying to use it at once. I'm using my phone as a hotspot. At least I found an outlet to charge on.

A few pics from just driving around yesterday:

IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_6020.jpegIMG_6022.jpeg

Sounds like everyone in Durham got the same "11:45pm ETA" text from Duke Power today. Would be awesome if that's actually right, I figured it might be days.

Wow, I haven't seen anything nearly that bad around here. Lots of fallen branches, and a few downed lines, but no actual poles ripped down.

I fear you're right. Even getting that one pole back up seems like a major endeavor.

I saw another pole snapped in half at some point, which is crazy. The oak tree that fell on the house next to where I was just snapped in half as well, which I don't know if I'd ever seen. It's almost hard to believe there weren't any tornados.

I found an under-the-radar coffee shop downtown. The nitro cold brew is quite delicious, and somehow no one is inside using any of the outlets. Much more pleasant than fighting for bandwidth at the library. The only downside is it closes at 4pm. But I know what I'm doing tomorrow, assuming the power is still out. Gonna camp down here starting as soon as I wake up.

Power's back for me. But I still have a mysterious electric cable going from my house and hanging over a tree in my yard. Have to figure out what it does. If anyone on this board who knows anything about life could advise me, I'd appreciate it.

20230815_163119.jpg

20230815_185321.jpg

Between all these pictures, someone familiar with Durham can probably figure out exactly where I live.

There's a chance, albeit low, of a hurricane type storm hitting Las Vegas in a few days. Glad I'm on the 2nd floor because this city floods with even a little bit of rain.

Feels like a lot of really bad shit is about to happen on Southern California and it’s all because of Hilary

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom