Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weather Thread

So I didn't realize a woman had actually died in the storm when she was crushed by a falling tree. The way I found out about it was crazy. I was out with some friends last night, and one them mentioned that her aunt had seen it happen. She was actually sitting at the same intersection as the woman. Because the light was out, they were trying to figure out who should go first. My friend's aunt let the other woman go first, and as she drove through the intersection the tree fell on her car and crushed her. Apparently, she was killed instantly. I don't think my friend's aunt actually saw anything gruesome because the tree was covering the entire car.

The even weirder part is that my friend's aunt doesn't live in Durham. She just happened to be visiting and that happened.

I apparently moved to Atlantis. Pre-storm storm has a bunch of downtown Charleston flooded already. Storm and king tide coming tomorrow.

Welcome to the coast! Don't forget to pick up everything in your yard that can float or fly, and find a high spot to park your automobiles, preferably someplace without trees. There's a small community church with an oversized parking lot about a quarter of a mile from my house. I park my cars there and ride my bike home. It's my little hurricane tradition.

Locally, the New Hanover Co school board, which became a mini-version of the US House in the last election and is focused mostly on de-gayifying the kids and banning books, announced that they would wait until 2 PM today to decide if they would be closing on Thursday.
Every surrounding county decided by noon yesterday that they would close early today, be closed Thursday, come back Friday (if roads and power were good). I'm very thankful I don't have school-aged kids now.

Yup. Stuck everything under the house or in the garage

kids have half day today and on line tomorrow, but looks like it may have sped up and heavy rains get here earlier.

kids have half day today and on line tomorrow, but looks like it may have sped up and heavy rains get here earlier.

Yeah, that's the norm. It gives people a little time to get their shit together and decide if they're going to stay or evacuate.
Hopefully, we end up on the lower side of the intensity forecasts, but Hurricane Florence came into Wilmington as a Cat 1 and still devastated a lot of people. It was weird driving down streets where every single house had all their shingles blown off, and hundreds or possibly thousands of people were completely flooded out of their homes.
Hurricanes be different these days.

Yeah, I haven’t quite figured out the pattern of which hurricane they’ll decide to make really bad.

But I’m working on it.

@aiw The only real weather man, YouTuber Ryan Hall, Ya'll, has you and me in a high probability zone for tornadoes
@rhfarmer is on the edge of the high probability zone

We just went through a tornado. Lasted about 20 seconds. My wife noticed a tornado warning in Mount Pleasant and it said it was at the airport, which is essentially across the street from my house. We were like no way, looked outside, got very windy and plant debris was swirling outside. Then, the front door and one of the back doors flew open. My wife and I start yelling at the top of our lungs at the kids upstairs to get in the basement while I'm trying to close and lock these doors and shit is flying all over outside.

Crazy stuff.

We just went through a tornado. Lasted about 20 seconds. My wife noticed a tornado warning in Mount Pleasant and it said it was at the airport, which is essentially across the street from my house. We were like no way, looked outside, got very windy and plant debris was swirling outside. Then, the front door and one of the back doors flew open. My wife and I start yelling at the top of our lungs at the kids upstairs to get in the basement while I'm trying to close and lock these doors and shit is flying all over outside.

Crazy stuff.

See? Coastal living is exciting! I'm not sure why old people retire here, unless they want to go out on an adrenaline high.

• Haha
Reactions: aiw

Crazy stuff.
Probably wasn't the best day to leave your doors cracked to feel a nice breeze.

I wish that was what happened. I thought the doors were securely closed, but not locked.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom