Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2017-18] Phil Knight Invitational / at Indiana

Woke up, checked the score, saw that it was safe to start my day with a stress-free Duke victory.
Under these circumstances, the very best part for me was watching the UNC fans who chose to stick around to cheer for Florida after getting their asses kicked by MSU. Watching them for the last 10 minutes of the game was much more entertaining than watching what went on on the court.

I do think fatigue played a factor for Florida. Don't care, Duke wins.

Florida was up 74-57 with 10 minutes left then Duval hit a unicorn corner 3 and Bagley had that unicorn out of bounds save.

Florida significantly slowed it down after that to try to run clock which ended up being fatal for them.
Up by 17, then slowed it down and lost? Mike White really must be the next Duke coach.

I didn't bother to watch or check the score last night. Think I'll watch the last 10 minutes today. Yay team!

Fell asleep shortly after the 2nd half started when Florida was making a run. Assumed I would wake up to a 15 point loss. Very happy I did not!

Will be there in in person at the game, and being a graduate of Indiana University. Assembly Hall will be rocking, always a tough place to play on the road. Just don't think Indiana has the talent/size to play with us.

Their biggest starter is at 6'10 (davis) and after that is 6'8(morgan). Just need to play through Bagley, and not let the crowd get to us.

Bagley should be a monster as always.

The IU game is going to be a great test of the Devils' mettle. As long as IU does not shoot out of this world from 3, I think Duke will pass this test.

Not sure yet what I think about the Indiana game. On one hand, Indiana looks not so great and this Duke team so far seems psychologically less likely to be overwhelmed by the road.

That said, the travel/turnaround is concerning. And if Duke continues to play like rubbish early, a comeback obviously will be more difficult to pull off in that environment.

Indiana is looking a bit more dangerous after taking care of their 3 cupcakes. 77 overall, 38 offense, 198 defense. Objectively, per Kenpom, this will be Duke's toughest game for the next 6 weeks, until they go to Miami.

Although Indiana's defense is bad in general, it does match up well with Duke stylistically. They choose not to defend 3s at all. One of the very worst 3pt defenses in the country, based on volume and accuracy allowed. For that sacrifice, they pack the paint and protect the rim well. They appear to go for a lot of shot blocks/contests, at the cost of giving up offensive rebounds. Duke will need to dump bricks on the rim and chase their misses, which the Duke bigs are perfectly capable of doing. Allen and Trent making 3s would be nice. Duval will probably not have anyone within 10 feet in front of him.

On the other hand, despite Indiana having a good offense, they don't match up well with Duke's defense. This is not Florida. Indiana's offense relies on 2s. They hate taking 3s and they're mediocre at making 3s. They're great at driving or posting up inside, making layups, and getting fouls and offensive rebounds along the way. Duke's defense should be able to handle this. Juwan Morgan and DeRon Davis have been their best players inside. Reserve Freddie McSwain has put up freakshow numbers so far this season, with absurdly high rebounding rates and an excellent block rate, but terrible offensive numbers.

Keep in mind Indiana has played a relatively weak schedule, and the specific numbers (all except overall, offensive and defensive efficiency) are unadjusted for competition. They will probably not shoot as well from 2 against Duke.

Now that I've had time to process after being a lil bitch last night:

Gary Trent Jr is sneaky good and is close to being really good. He drives well and finishes well due to his strength and above average ball handling. He's shooting at 33% from 3pt. If he can get a little bit more consistent there and start shooting at say 36%, along with finishing A.) Stop shooting so many mid-range jump-shots and B.) Finishing better in the paint. A frustrating thing about Trent, and it's probably just freshman learning curve, but often when he drives he takes that floater/runner in the paint which isn't necessary at all. He can and should just get to the rim and take contact. Most times he'll miss that floater. If he can find an uptick in 3pt % and find understand a good shot (3's and drives to the rim) he'll really become quite the player. He's also a clutch FT shooter, having (I believe) made 5/5 from the FT line in clutch moments. The and 1 against Texas, the two FT's to take the lead against Florida, and the two FT's to go up by 3. It was also note worthy how he wanted the final 2 FT's and didn't pass to Grayson in the back court when he easily could have before being fouled.

I think one of the more underappreciated things of last nights game was that K allowed Carter Jr to play with 4 fouls for what felt like the final 10-11 minutes of the game. After playing like absolute dog shit for the first 30 minutes, with 4 fouls, Carter Jr played very well down the stretch. This is becoming a theme with Carter Jr now, as he beasted his ass off in the final 10 or so minutes against Michigan State and Texas as well. I would imagine that his motor is just so high that he is outlasting the bigs on other teams. Quite a few times against MSU, Texas, and Florida in the final few minutes of the game Carter Jr will miss a shot inside, grab his own rebound, and then finish. He's simply out working people and it's extremely impressive.

I thought Javin and Marques both played well off of the bench last night, and now that we are out of the tournament setting, I hope/expect to see more playing time for both of them as they deserve more playing time, and Bagley and Carter could use a reduction on minutes until we get to ACC play. They are both completely different big men, but I actually think Bolden is competent as a low block scorer. He should never shoot anywhere else, but he's comfortable down there and his confidence in his abilities are growing on the post.

I don't really have much to say about anyone else. I have much to say about Duval but I don't know how to express myself feelings regarding him correctly. It's not a good or bad, it's just I don't know.

I'd forgotten that the last time we played in Bloomington, the ACC teams wore these dumb shoulder patches during the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

PXQUFANVDLSRDAM.20051201160059.jpg

Woke up, checked the score, saw that it was safe to start my day with a stress-free Duke victory.
Under these circumstances, the very best part for me was watching the UNC fans who chose to stick around to cheer for Florida after getting their asses kicked by MSU. Watching them for the last 10 minutes of the game was much more entertaining than watching what went on on the court.

I do think fatigue played a factor for Florida. Don't care, Duke wins.

Duke had only played five minutes less than Florida so you’d think it would be a factor on both sides.

That said, Duke looked fresher down the stretch, likely from having only played defense for 10 of the 70 minutes of their games since Friday.

Duke's best offensive play is a Grayson Allen - Marvin Bagley PNR. Either one of them can make a play or break down the defense and open it up for a Duval three. People have pointed out Bagley's lack of effort on defense, but the master will have him hedging out to the half-court line before we know it.

As with many others, I'm encouraged by Bolden's improvement. He's playing decent defense, fighting for boards, and has shown some offensive ability in the post. I'm no longer horrified when he takes a shot, but maybe it's because there's a good chance Duke will get the rebound and an putback off his miss. I'm happily surprised by the rest of the bench, O'Connell and Delaurier both have insane motors and they inject the right amount of verve into the lineup when the team needs a boost.

Bill Walton is a national treasure and his stoned ramblings are hilarious. I love that his co-commentator doesn't interrupt and lets Walton meander from one non sequitur to the next. Walton is far superior to Bilas and I wish he did east coast games.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom