Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2017-18] Phil Knight Invitational / at Indiana

I’ll be on Mountain time tomorrow night, maybe that will help mentally. The East Coast is losing control of basketball, man. It’s bad enough that the only meaningful NBA games don’t start until 10:45 ET, now this.

Send the Australian in to bodycheck Chiozza into the scorers table, Robert Horry style.

Guards that can get into the lane seem to be a issue for Duke.

Are we worried about the plethora of guards (Chiozza, Allen, Koulechov, and Hudson)? They don't really have size to go against us, but penetrating guards seem to be the death of Duke.

Does Bagley dominate? Does Grayson breakout of his slump? Does Duke get dominated by guard penetration?

Are we worried about the plethora of guards (Chiozza, Allen, Koulechov, and Hudson)? They don't really have size to go against us, but penetrating guards seem to be the death of Duke.

Does Bagley dominate? Does Grayson breakout of his slump? Does Duke get dominated by guard penetration?

Yes

In case you don't want to stay up, it will be a movie we've all seen before:

They will score at will against us, because the zone is useless against 3-point shooting of Florida's level. So we play man, and as always, K will be so laser focused on not giving up 3s that he'll have the bigs running around the perimeter, opening up driving opportunities for Florida's skilled penetrators that are blissfully unobstructed by our talented shotblockers.

When Duke gets down 10 early, K will switch to zone and Florida will rain 3s. After the loss, K will emphasize that Florida is a good team that played well and reject the notion that his defense is atrocious, rambling a bit instead about travel and NCAA practice rules.

Now, should Duke be fortunate enough to win, it will purely be because Grayson got hot again and because Bagley and Carter are tall and dunked (and hopefully rebounded) a lot against Florida's small bigs.

Now, should Duke be fortunate enough to win, it will purely be because Grayson got hot again and because Bagley and Carter are tall and dunked (and hopefully rebounded) a lot against Florida's small bigs.

And because Duval doesn't play like Derryck Thornton for 20+ minutes.

See, I feel like Florida is a big enough name that Duke won't sleep walk through this one. The script is almost always a mid major or a shit ACC team playing their "super bowl" against Duke. This game is just as big as MSU, IMO.

Are we going to have defensive lapses and some weird "motivation" from K in lieu of actual "coaching"? Yes.
Is Florida designed to slaughter Duke's antiquated defense? Yes
Is Duke superior athletically at every position? Yes

Seems like this Duke team plays enough high level volley ball off the rim to demoralize most teams, a la UNC the last 2 years.

I thought Texas would be the loss, as their front court could at least neutralize Duke. But FFS, Bagley and Carter just don't seem to have equals this year. If Duval and Allen don't shithead, I feel like we're better than anyone.

I hope that Mike White still listens to his dad and 'loses' gracefully.

In all seriousness, I do think Florida will have a hard time matching its level of play in the Gonzaga game for 40 minutes. Both teams were living on circus/YOLO shots, especially late. Their confidence/mojo from that game might carry over for a little while tonight, but it's hard to imagine they don't hit a wall at some point.

Last edited:
I don't think Duke is really that superior athletically to Florida's guards. Chiozza (sp?) is quick as hell. KeVaughn has the body we all dream of. Hudson is the one we really hope comes crashing back to earth tonight and back to being a shit player like he was at VaTech his first two seasons. I want Mike White at Duke developing players if Hudson keeps this up all season.

I like Duke's chances in this game. Mostly because I like Duke's chances of shooting 60%+ from 2 better than I like Florida's chances of 40%+ from 3. Not that Florida isn't capable of doing that, just that I think Duke is more of a certainty. If Jonathan Williams III can shoot 16-22 against them, I have to figure Marvin Bagley III can do likewise, and Carter should be able to clean up on Bagley's misses.

As long as Duke limit turnovers, and control the defensive boards and not give Florida multiple cracks at hitting a 3 on their possessions, and shoot at least 60% from the FT line, our offensive efficency will be enough to carry us.

Now if Florida shoots 50%+ from 3, then all bets are off.

Damn, that one profile shot of Capel. He looks like he's added another 30 pounds of gut.
Can we get out of giving him the HC job by sneaking a weight clause in the contract?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom