Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2018-19] Clemson, at Wake, at FSU, Syracuse

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Duke tries to shake off 16 days of self-imposed rust as they begin the ACC schedule.

CLEMSON

6iCZdOC.jpg

Saturday, January 5, Time TBA, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Kenpom Information

Clemson: 37 overall, 37 offense, 48 defense
Projection: Duke 84, Clemson 68 (Duke 92% to win)

Can Duke Lose This Game?

Clemson's defense is a pretty bad matchup for Duke, like a Texas Tech Lite, but Duke just won by double digits against the actual Texas Tech while making zero jumpers for the first ~30 minutes of the game, so what is there to say? It should be almost impossible for Duke to lose at home to a worse version of that team.

Clemson gives up all the 3s their opponents want, while focusing on stopping 2s. They also slow down their opponents; they have one of the longest average defensive possession lengths in the country. This should be a decent recipe to hold back Duke's offense, but the Clemson offense is probably going to get mauled. Clemson doesn't try to take 3s and they're terrible at making them. They're elite at making 2s. In prior seasons, this offensive approach would fare well against Duke, but it should be a disaster this season.

Would Duke Lose This Game if Zion Switched Teams?

Probably. It's interesting to think about how impactful Zion's commitment decision was. Duke's offense without Zion would involve roughly 50% more Barrett iso plays and 50% more Reddish drives to the basket. We would see lots of two-big lineups with both Bolden and DeLaurier on the court. For the first time in our lives, Clemson would be relevant in basketball. From an analytics perspective, Zion has been worth .382 win shares per 40 minutes; swinging that from Duke to Clemson would be massive.

at WAKE FOREST

Hiroshima-combo-03.jpg

Tuesday, January 8, 7:00pm ET, ESPN or ESPN2 (TBD)
Joel Coliseum

Kenpom Information

Wake: 150 overall, 111 offense, 200 defense
Projection: Duke 87, Wake 68 (Duke 96% to win)

The Ultimate Test

This is the First True Road Game for Duke and, therefore, a win would finally validate the existence of the basketball program this season. Nothing forges a champion like the crucible of playing literally any team at their place. The Houston Baptist Huskies of the Southland conference went into Winston-Salem and somehow came out with a true road "W." Can Duke do the same?

at FLORIDA STATE

1Ezl1rZUf18oGYynAms5SHTO6FfP8HF6.jpg

Saturday, January 12, 2:00pm ET, ESPN
Donald L. Tucker Center

Kenpom Information

FSU: 15 overall, 25 offense, 16 defense
Projection: Duke 82, FSU 76 (Duke 69% to win)

Duke Can Lose This Game

There are only three tougher games than this one on Duke's remaining schedule, per Kenpom (at Virginia, at UNC, at VT). If the loss happens, followed by the inevitable court storming that injures Zion and/or Tre (and no one else), comparisons will be made to the 2002 game at FSU. Duke 2002 was arguably a top 3 team in school history, and they lost an early ACC game at FSU by 1 point, largely due to the ball-dominant-but-free throw-challenged star player, Jason Williams, missing six straight free throws down the stretch. Afterward, Williams said "I promise you the next time I’m in that situation I will make them." Later, Williams missed a free throw in that situation, in the Sweet Sixteen, to end Duke's season. As it turns out, someone's FT% does not magically increase at certain times just because he wants it to.

A Disgustingly Effective Brand of Basketball

The biggest "weakness" in FSU's excellent defense has been their foul rate. Whereas Duke is near the top 10 in the country in foul avoidance on defense, FSU is nearly out of the top 300. After years of watching sexual deviant Rick Pitino coach a similarly disgusting brand of basketball, true Duke pessimists know how this will play out. FSU will hack the shit out of Duke and the refs will even out the foul calls somewhat, due to human nature and the game being at FSU, despite Duke actually fouling much less than FSU.

Obviously, this will be effective against Duke for several reasons, including: (1) Duke sucks at shooting free throws (sub-200 FT% as a team); (2) FSU is deeper than Duke (FSU regularly goes with a 10-man rotation, whereas Duke regularly plays 8, not counting Goldwire); (3) FSU is great at shooting free throws (top 50 FT% as a team); and (4) FSU fouls take away transition scoring opportunities from Duke, which often seems to be the only way Duke's offense can score. There is a good chance this will be a frustrating game to watch for Duke fans.

SYRACUSE

syracusezonedefense.jpeg

Monday, January 14, 7:00pm ET, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Kenpom Information

Syracuse: 34 overall, 64 offense, 20 defense
Projection: Duke 81, Syracuse 65 (Duke 92% to win)

A Disgusting Brand of Basketball

After being ranked as the #4 team in the ACC in preseason polls, Syracuse has looked ugly again. They still can't shoot, from anywhere. They still dare you to take 3s, currently in the bottom 10 in the country in preventing 3-point attempts. They still slow the game down to an unwatchable pace. This all might work pretty well against Duke, since Barrett jacking up late shot clock 3s all game won't be pretty, but 50 points may be all Duke needs to win.

Last edited:
Cuse looked good against Arkansas St. They have 4 guys who can score. Surprised they have been this trbl so far.

Buffalo is a good team, and Cuse were missing their starting point guard for 2 early-season games (both losses) @ MSG. That aside, the only thing I can point to which can account for some of SU's struggles is poor shooting.

Dolezaj, Hughes, Brisset and Battle are all solid. And they have Chukwu in the middle. Glad this game is at home. They are going to start ripping off some wins.

Boeheim is playing his 3-star freshman son more minutes than Goldwire, and he’s arguably worse than Goldwire, which may make him the worst rotation player in the ACC. How can anyone justify this? I would think real scholarship players losing minutes due purely to nepotism would take a toll on team chemistry.

Buddy Boeheim stats:

-5.2 BPM
2.5 PER
-.004 WS/40
76 ORating
101 DRating
20% 2pt / 21% 3pt / 63% ft
23% Usage lol
10 Games
2 Games Started lmao
12.5 MPG

Last edited:
I really hope Zion just dunks all over Clemson on Saturday. I just really don't Brad Brownell. just looks like a major douche. Plus he coached as an assistant as Evansville (IN) which is an absolute SHITHOLE. Thats all, in Tre Jones we trust.

I really hope Zion just dunks all over Clemson on Saturday. I just really don't Brad Brownell. just looks like a major douche. Plus he coached as an assistant as Evansville (IN) which is an absolute SHITHOLE. Thats all, in Tre Jones we trust.
You seem to be our insider for all things related to basketball in the state of Indiana.

So you are IndyBoilerDevil from the Scout days?

*Was that the name? I remember there was a Scout user close to the McRoberts family on Scout. Spent much of his/her time having to defend McRoberts (and consequently trashing Paulus lol) unfortunately.

t
So you are IndyBoilerDevil from the Scout days?

*Was that the name? I remember there was a Scout user close to the McRoberts family on Scout. Spent much of his/her time having to defend McRoberts (and consequently trashing Paulus lol) unfortunately.

that was NOT me. But Paulus was trash.

I have heard generally bad things about Paulus. That said, McRoberts' comments after leaving the program weren't exactly great.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom