Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2018-19] Maui Jim Maui Invitational

Zion would have made at least 1 of those 4 shots. Or passed it to a wide open White.

I’m a glutton for punishment and just rewatched the last 1:10 of the game. White was wide open for 3 on 2 of RJ’s drives. Then he was open as the roll man on another RJ drive. And then Zion was open for a dump off as the trailer on the last RJ drive. You would think after 2 failures—okay, 3 failures?—he would have figured out that the Zags were just playing for him to go hero ball. But, of course, not.

Zion would have made at least 1 of those 4 shots. Or passed it to a wide open White.

I’m a glutton for punishment and just rewatched the last 1:10 of the game. White was wide open for 3 on 2 of RJ’s drives. Then he was open as the roll man on another RJ drive. And then Zion was open for a dump off as the trailer on the last RJ drive. You would think after 2 failures—okay, 3 failures?—he would have figured out that the Zags were just playing for him to go hero ball. But, of course, not.

Watched last minute replay as well;

- I saw White open for a 3 on RJ's 3 point attempt
- Tre drove into 3 guys
- RJ blocked on spin move where he had Tre wide open in the corner or Zion trailing
- RJ missed Zion cutting in from the wing
- RJ missed Jack on a roll to the net (may have been a tough pass, but still)
- Jack gets board and takes the ball to the side of the rim where Zags defenders are and gets blocked
- RJ could have made a drop off pass to Zion on last drive

In short - I see all the missed opportunities you mention, but I could not see where Jack was open for a 3 other than that 1st play. What a lousy way to go out for Duke.

Mentioned elsewhere - it appears to me that Duke's spacing on the last drive was actually quite good.

Zack, agree we took a lot of bad layup attempts, but there was a minimum of 7-10 bunnies that we wouldn't normally miss.

Offensive execution was trash except for the 5 1/2-minute stretch late in the second half when we scored 21 points - Javin's FTs with 7:19 left made it 79-68, and Zion tied it at 87-87 with 1:45 to go. Everything else was pretty lame.

Last edited:
I got these +/- from DBR

Player +/- Minutes Played Per 40

White +12 25:37 18.7
Delaurier +7 15:01 18.6
Barrett -3 38:47 -3.1
Jones -4 38:52 -4.1
Williamson -6 37:12 -6.5
Reddish -7 25:17 -11.1
Bolden -11 14:55 -29.5

Pretty clear why Reddish was benched or JD and JW, and pretty clear that K should have taken Bolden out even sooner. Our best lineup may well be RJB/ZW/TJ/JW/JD. With that lineup we have enough offense, tremendous rebounding, and great D as we can essentially switch 1-5. Bring in Reddish to sub any of the 5 so he's basically the sixth starter, and use Bolden only when matchup dictates or someone gets into foul trouble.

That sems like overthinking. Just go TJ/Reddish/White/Zion. Offense off the bench doesn't matter since we aren't going to use a bench in important games. Reddish is our best shooter of players that matter. We need him out there.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of single game +/- numbers. They are better over many games of data IMO. Bolden can't be in with a big who can shoot 3s, that's obvious. Cam didn't have a great game but we needed him in sooner at the end.

I'm just glad Duke didn't lay down and die. I watched the first half up until the point Duke got behind 30-21.

It was typical late K era Duke. 5 guys standing around the perimeter going iso, and a hopelessly misguided defensive strategy.

So sick of it.

Post of the week.

Watched last minute replay as well;

- I saw White open for a 3 on RJ's 3 point attempt
- Tre drove into 3 guys
- RJ blocked on spin move where he had Tre wide open in the corner or Zion trailing
- RJ missed Zion cutting in from the wing
- RJ missed Jack on a roll to the net (may have been a tough pass, but still)
- Jack gets board and takes the ball to the side of the rim where Zags defenders are and gets blocked
- RJ could have made a drop off pass to Zion on last drive

In short - I see all the missed opportunities you mention, but I could not see where Jack was open for a 3 other than that 1st play. What a lousy way to go out for Duke.

Mentioned elsewhere - it appears to me that Duke's spacing on the last drive was actually quite good.
The other Jack White 3 was at 34-35 seconds left. I think that's point number 3 on your list.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom