Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2019-20] #2 Duke vs Central Arkansas (2K Empire Classic)

Damn, I checked 2007-08 but didn't check that game. However, if 54 bench points is the correct number than tonight exceeded that (we finished with 55 bench points).

I didn't read the linked Notes above very closely, apparently. They seem to mention that the highest number of bench points ever was achieved earlier that season, in a 121-56 blowout of NC Central (that might have been their first ever D1 game IIRC). We had 67 bench points in that one.

I’ll say this - it’s certainly early and we’ve played some ass teams, but some of the fundamental things we’re doing, particularly defensively, are things teams in our very recent past never picked up on, much less so early in the season.

Our rotations tonight look really advanced for as early as we are in the season. I found myself multiple times being surprised by guys being in the right position, jumping to ice a screen on time, etc. Around the 13 or 14 minute mark of the second half CA drove baseline in front of the Duke bench. We did a nice job I thought of cutting the drive off on the baseline, forcing a pass to the weak side corner, which we closed out on, and they moved it to an open shooter on the wing. Carey knew exactly where he was supposed to be and flew out to challenge the shot, despite having had other responsibilities on the other side of the court moments earlier. It was impressive. Those types of things have given me more hope than I probably should have and are encouraging at such an early juncture.
Agree with all this. And I want to know why we're so much better on defense out of the gate. Looking at the personnel, it really doesn't look any more apt to be a great defense. It makes me wonder if K realized he had to coach defense extra hard this year due to the lack of offensive firepower. If that's true, it leaves me frustrated about the coaching job he did with some of our other bad defensive teams.

Agreed 100%. Exactly the thought I had last night while I was watching us play defense. All I could think is why the fuck we were so far ahead three games into the season on defense with this group, of all, and what was going on the last two, three years.

And I say all this as someone who is usually ridiculously pessimistic. I get it's only three games into the year and given how pessimistic I am in no way am I saying I think we're the favorites or think we'll now win this or that. But I'm pleasantly surprised with what I'm seeing. And I can't believe I'm saying that.

My theory is that when K has transcendent players, he's just been putting this shit on cruise control while assuming they can out-talent the field.
It's either that or he's been afraid to push his 18-year-old superstars for fear of highly-publicized blowback that could possibly negatively impact his next class of 18-year-old superstars.

I thought the defense was pretty bad for much of the second half. Over-extended several times that a better, more disciplined team would have killed with back cuts. That and of course defensive rebounds (because Duke never GAF about DReb) are the only things I worry about with the defense. As a Duke fan, I’m probably just conditioned to worry about getting killed backdoor (TWSS).

I thought the defense was pretty bad for much of the second half. Over-extended several times that a better, more disciplined team would have killed with back cuts. That and of course defensive rebounds (because Duke never GAF about DReb) are the only things I worry about with the defense. As a Duke fan, I’m probably just conditioned to worry about getting killed backdoor (TWSS).
I wouldn't take the 2nd half as representative of our defense. For the first 10 minutes we had four freshmen and AOC. The moment Jack and Javin came back in it got better.

I haven't watched it on yet, but I refuse to believe that this team won't get carved up like usual against teams with good guards and shooters who will just ruthlessly spread, screen, drive, and shoot, as is the blueprint to beating this defense every year. None of the fundamental flaws are gone.

There will be a few drive and kick threes and dunks in a row, they'll start talking shit, and our young team will get wide-eyed as they realize they are powerless to stop it. The confidence and edge will collapse, and the wheels will fall off.

That said, just saw a sperber tweet showing Duke icing ball screens, so maybe there's hope. If we are actually back to the only ball-screen defense that has ever worked for K, icing and dropping, and maybe decide to stop going over 40 foot screens, we may just have a chance. It does seem like the increased steal production may be real.

I haven't watched it on yet, but I refuse to believe that this team won't get carved up like usual against teams with good guards and shooters who will just ruthlessly spread, screen, drive, and shoot, as is the blueprint to beating this defense every year. None of the fundamental flaws are gone.

There will be a few drive and kick threes and dunks in a row, they'll start talking shit, and our young team will get wide-eyed as they realize they are powerless to stop it. The confidence and edge will collapse, and the wheels will fall off.

Like who?

The rotations are legit way better. I understand the skepticism, and I'm sure we'll have a game or two like that, but we don't have nearly as many lapses. Add in the steal rate and the improved defensive rebounding and there's reason to believe we're a great defense. There's also the fact that offense sucks this year.

I mean, Kenpom started us at an absurdly aspirational 86.8 defensive rating. In most years, that would quickly be revealed to be absurd. But we've actually improved on that by over 3 pts.

Like who?
There's always someone. We've managed to get carved up by mediocre St. Johns' teams, for Christ's sake. Just because you can't immediately think of a team doesn't mean there's not one with a decent pick and roll guard.

Like who?
There's always someone. We've managed to get carved up by mediocre St. Johns' teams, for Christ's sake. Just because you can't immediately think of a team doesn't mean there's not one with a decent pick and roll guard.

Who did it last year against a fully healthy team? What St John do against us last year?

My theory is that when K has transcendent players, he's just been putting this shit on cruise control while assuming they can out-talent the field.
It's not a theory. He's admitted it. He admitted it with the 2018 team (para: I thought I could just roll the ball out there). I wish he learned that lesson for last year.

Like who?

Who did it last year against a fully healthy team? What St John do against us last year?

Like who?

UCF, VT

Plus, last year, we were loaded with lottery athletes and rim protectors and switched almost everything.

Not sure what point you feel you're making here, but generally, there's more value in making a compelling argument than in vaguely implying things with coy questions.

It's not a theory. He's admitted it. He admitted it with the 2018 team (para: I thought I could just roll the ball out there). I wish he learned that lesson for last year.
Small correction: it was 2017 he said that about.

Texas may give the Devils a hard time by spreading it out. They have decent guard play.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom