Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 7 MSU (NCAA Tournament 2nd Round)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Won by nine despite 11-20 from three and 12-13 from the line by Michigan State. Incredible execution down the stretch on both ends. A genuinely impressive performance by Duke in an NCAA tournament game for the first time since 2015. Beating Izzo one last time. Going to savor this one and if we lose 68-53 against Texas Tech, so be it.
It really was amazing that Duke covered the spread. Adjusting for bullshit, Duke deserved to win this game by about 15-20 points. Their best win in a while.

I need to rewatch to figure out how much of their 11-22 from three was nonsense and how much was us missing rotations and close outs. Anyone have a take on that? I’m just sick of these fucking all time shooting performances.

Won by nine despite 11-20 from three and 12-13 from the line by Michigan State. Incredible execution down the stretch on both ends. A genuinely impressive performance by Duke in an NCAA tournament game for the first time since 2015. Beating Izzo one last time. Going to savor this one and if we lose 68-53 against Texas Tech, so be it.
It really was amazing that Duke covered the spread. Adjusting for bullshit, Duke deserved to win this game by about 15-20 points. Their best win in a while.

I need to rewatch to figure out how much of their 11-22 from three was nonsense and how much was us missing rotations and close outs. Anyone have a take on that? I’m just sick of these fucking all time shooting performances.

edit: watching it now. 3 threes we gave up were contested but late, 3 threes very well contested, 4 threes wide open

Last edited:

They definitely had a few wide open ones - Bingham's and at least one of Brown's and Walker's, maybe Christie's from the corner - but most of Brown's he had at least a solid hand in his face, and Akin had the shot clock prayer after a great defensive possession. I'd guess they were not more wide open on average than any typical game.

Walker had at least one poor closeout 3 (Mark on a switch, but too much space nonetheless).

Just watched the replay and I agree with rome... we played very well on both sides of the ball. Not a lot of blown defensive assignments at all.

Offensively we were crisp, aggressive, opportunistic, and at times our ball movement was absolutely outstanding.

The only real reason this game was close was because they shot out of their minds on 3's. At one point they were 9/14 from 3-point range and we're up 7. They shoot even a normal 6-14 and we're up 16 pushing towards a 20-point blowout, and they aren't coming out of that psychologically.

Now if I may return to my comfort zone...

We suck, K's washed up, and Texas Tech is gonna kill us.

I would say the worst closeouts happened with Theo in the game. I would estimate that at least half of their made three were well contested. And I only remember 3-4 that were wide open.

As I mentioned before, they're 16th in the country in 3pt percentage. They don't take a ton normally, but that's what we were giving them. By contrast, Texas Tech shoots 32% from three which ranks 251st.

They got us a couple times late with that action where they ran a high PNR, and then screened Mark when he stayed in drop coverage. That was what led to the wide open Walker three - it wasn't that Mark was just playing off him, it was that he didn't think they'd switched.

I will say, for as much as I adore Mark and think he's the only guy on the team that consistently plays like a pro, he seems to struggle in PNR coverage. I'm sure some of it is scheme and coaching, and some of it is our guards (esp. Moore) not doing a great job of fighting over screens and staying in the play, but Mark often seems a step slow to diagnose what's going on and decisively communicate the plan to the other defender. The net result when that happens is a guard completely picked off by a screen and out of the play, and Mark caught in no man's land in drop coverage trying to defend a 2-on-1 like 15 feet from the rim.

It's weird - we mostly run drop coverage these days, and occasionally ice side ballscreens, which is great, in theory. But unlike 4-5 years ago, when we first switched to those two strategies from the halfcourt hedge, it seems very haphazard, random and reactive, rather than intentional and aggressive. I'm not sure how much of that is on Mark vs just not having it be as much of an area of focus anymore.

This is a quibble, but it couldn't have been that late, right? I mean, they scored six points in the last five minutes. Two were on a layup and two off of FTs. Not sure where the other two came from.

I admit, I just can't see three things at once like you do and remember it. But our switching generally seemed sharp and purposeful. I saw more switching 1-4 than switches involving Mark, and that seemed intentional to allow Mark to roam the paint as much as possible. It also seemed like Paolo was able to collapse into the lane and help Mark fairly frequently on drives, but I'm not sure exactly what was going on there. My brain just doesn't process spatial complexity in that way.

Yeah, upon rewatching this, looks like Pants nailed it. It was this play here, with 5:26 left -- Mark and Wendell both follow Bingham, and that's what left Walker open.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom