Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 8 North Carolina (NCAA Tournament Final Four)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm actually far more depressed today than I was yesterday. It's like grief. I'll be thinking about something else and then suddenly I'll remember the game.

And yeah, I think what was most frustrating was the dozen little things that went wrong. If 2-3 of those had gone differently, we win.

I'm actually far more depressed today than I was yesterday. It's like grief. I'll be thinking about something else and then suddenly I'll remember the game.
I think it won't really hit me until K doesn't walk out next year, so to me, while a really shitty loss, it's just a loss.

The entire last month, I was like there will be 3 times when I get emotional:

1. Last game in Cameron win or loss
2. ACC tourney win or loss
3. NCAA win or loss

Instead, I've been fine and easily moved on. Maybe I'm just dead inside.

I’m sad for the players. But also happy because even if you play well you have to get a little bit lucky to get to the final four. They played well enough to not need much luck. A few bounces in another direction and we win.

The entire last month, I was like there will be 3 times when I get emotional:

1. Last game in Cameron win or loss
2. ACC tourney win or loss
3. NCAA win or loss

Instead, I've been fine and easily moved on. Maybe I'm just dead inside.

Tbh this was less emotional for me than 2006. That was the last time I was crushed by a loss. The Zion loss didn’t crush me, just pissed me off because I think the coaching staff failed that team.

I kind of think it was fate for us to lose this game. It makes a more memorable story. And I just kind of feel like this was meant to be. Especially the few minutes where it seemed like we were going toe to toe. It was probably an incredible game to watch if you don’t have a rooting interest.

This being the end for Coach K is what is bothering me the most. I am surprised at how completely unprepared I am for him no longer being the head coach at Duke. It's bothering me quite a bit.

And yeah, I think what was most frustrating was the dozen little things that went wrong. If 2-3 of those had gone differently, we win.

....a dozen little things that went wrong, and a dozen things Duke did well which makes it more perplexing. To have SO many incredible steals in passing lanes, to neutralize the high ball screen action, to get big minutes from Keels & Theo and still lose....wow.

Felt like a lot of those steals just resulted in a wild layup that was easily blocked by UNC's (somehow suddenly) perfect defense. I could be misremembering though.

But I agree. Apart from the foul trouble and the rebounding, I felt like we actually defended very well. That's the sad part.

One that will obviously be overlooked bc we lost is Paolo tipping out the rebound back to Moore for his step-back 3 late. That gave us the lead for the last time and felt like a play that only happens if you're going to win.

K then called a timeout as soon as it went in which I'm not sure about. It was our last one IIRC. It was after a frantic stretch where keels hit a 3, manek got a 3, then moore 3 so maybe he needed a stoppage to say 'get one stop and we win' or something.

22 threes is not that high a number. UNC's regularly been taking over 30.

On a related note, UNC's defensive 3pt luck continued. Is that all that it takes to win a title? Most of our misses were open. We'd been shooting 39% from three in the tournament. If we shoot anywhere close to our normal percentage we win easily, and we're talking about how amazing it was that we survived a game with our two bigs in major foul trouble.

K then called a timeout as soon as it went in which I'm not sure about. It was our last one IIRC. It was after a frantic stretch where keels hit a 3, manek got a 3, then moore 3 so maybe he needed a stoppage to say 'get one stop and we win' or something.
That’s what I guessed he was thinking. And not that I’m blaming the refs for the loss, but Duke did get a stop. UNC got bailed out on the weirdest phantom foul call. Would have been cool to see how the game had played out without that bullshit. Also would have been cool for Duke to make open 3s and FTs.

Yeah, I thought the refs were way too heavy-handed last night. In a game with more physicality allowed, we probably win. But like you said, there were plenty of other things we could have done to win the game.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom