Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 8 North Carolina (NCAA Tournament Final Four)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am still surprisingly taking this well. I remember how I felt after 1999, and 2002, and 2004. I was in 6th-11th grade during that stretch, and I tell you, I may have killed myself if this was experienced during those years.

I remember taking every loss so hard back then. I don't know if it's maturity or just now being numb to everything.

I don't think I'll ever have children at this point, but I don't think I will force sports fandom unto them if I do. Just seems like few opportunities to have legitimate high points to counter all the lows that come with it. If they choose to like Duke, I hope I have a different home than NC

I took a lot of pictures during the game but I thought this last one of K was kind of cool. Also I almost got into a fight with the most obnoxious unc fan I've ever seen. My son was there so instead I used the opportunity to have a teaching moment with him, that everyone including that fan could hear, about how that is the type of fan you don't want to be and how people will hate you if you are.

Attachments

• 20220402_220302.jpg
    20220402_220302.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 23
The refs sucked, but it’s hard for me to get too upset about the officiating when Roach/Moore/AJ combined to shoot 7/32 from the field and 1/11 from three, and the team as a whole shot 60% from the line. All we needed to win fairly comfortably was for them to go 10/32 and 2/11, and 70% overall on FTs. Shooting fucking killed us, as I was always afraid of.

The refs sucked, but it’s hard for me to get too upset about the officiating when Roach/Moore/AJ combined to shoot 7/32 from the field and 1/11 from three, and the team as a whole shot 60% from the line. All we needed to win fairly comfortably was for them to go 10/32 and 2/11, and 70% overall on FTs. Shooting fucking killed us, as I was always afraid of.

The stunning part is that we were still in position to win despite those numbers, with Mark Williams role marginalized by foul trouble/not being on the floor.

I am still surprisingly taking this well. I remember how I felt after 1999, and 2002, and 2004. I was in 6th-11th grade during that stretch, and I tell you, I may have killed myself if this was experienced during those years.

I remember taking every loss so hard back then. I don't know if it's maturity or just now being numb to everything.

I don't think I'll ever have children at this point, but I don't think I will force sports fandom unto them if I do. Just seems like few opportunities to have legitimate high points to counter all the lows that come with it. If they choose to like Duke, I hope I have a different home than NC
I don't plan on having children, but if I do I'll allow them to do drugs but forbid them from watching sports.

"It's for your own good. Now do this line of blow instead."

I think it's healthy and generally beneficial to be a big fan of at least a few misery teams, like Duke football, Buffalo Bills, Sacramento Kings, Seattle Mariners, Toronto Maple Leafs, Duke basketball 2021-22, etc.

You learn to appreciate and cherish good things that happen in life. If you happen to also luck into being a fan of a team that is regularly not miserable to follow, like Duke basketball until March 2022, you don't completely take it for granted. And when something miraculous happens to one of your misery teams, like Kyrie Irving hitting The Shot, you're satisfied forever.

I don't think you want to raise someone to be a fan of only UNC basketball, Ohio State football, Yankees/Red Sox, Tom Brady, Boston Celtics, Detroit Red Wings, etc., since that is probably purely harmful to their development and life. Constant tribalism and resulting stress that hasn't been balanced appropriately through legitimate adversity, with titles they're basically numb to.

I think it's healthy and generally beneficial to be a big fan of at least a few misery teams, like Duke football, Buffalo Bills, Sacramento Kings, Seattle Mariners, Toronto Maple Leafs, Duke basketball 2021-22, etc.

You learn to appreciate and cherish good things that happen in life. If you happen to also luck into being a fan of a team that is regularly not miserable to follow, like Duke basketball until March 2022, you don't completely take it for granted. And when something miraculous happens to one of your misery teams, like Kyrie Irving hitting The Shot, you're satisfied forever.

I don't think you want to raise someone to be a fan of only UNC basketball, Ohio State football, Yankees/Red Sox, Tom Brady, Boston Celtics, Detroit Red Wings, etc., since that is probably purely harmful to their development and life. Constant tribalism and resulting stress that hasn't been balanced appropriately through legitimate adversity, with titles they're basically numb to.

the average patriots fan is more grateful than a unc basketball fan.

Having grown up in Connecticut, I was a Red Sox fan, Patriot Fan, Bruins Fan, etc.

There is no comparison between Patriot Fans and Red Sox fans to being a UNC fan, Patriots were the joke of the NFL for the entire 80's and the Red Sox were the classical heartbreak team for 8 decades. Both fandoms have suffered enough to appreciate the wins.

The thing that is particularly unique to people who grow up in NC pulling for Duke is even if you are not a misery team, the presence of UNC fans all around you makes the whole experience overall pretty miserable, even if you do win titles. I mean, we by and large didn't enjoy making the FF this season solely because they also made it.

That is why 2010 was especially great, it checked off all the boxes. But that happens once in a lifetime.

I'm pretty much resigning myself to the fact that if you want to cheer for Duke, move to like Idaho or something

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom