Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke at North Carolina

What’s your prediction, if this game is played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man, Brady Manek is so skilled on the perimeter. He loses Banch over and over in the late first half.

Man, Brady Manek is so skilled on the perimeter. He loses Banch over and over in the late first half.
To be fair, it wasn't just Banchero. AJ was late on a closeout. And there was a miscommunication between Moore and Keels that had Keels lose him as well.

But it wasn't Banchero's finest hour on either end. In fact, I'd say this might have been his worst game when you consider the circumstances. If you're gonna call UNC soft, you can't then play like one of the softest players on the court.

The regression in shot selection started in the ND game though. Not sure why this is happening. Paolo was coming off a stretch where he'd basically stopped catching it at the elbow or attempting midrange jumpers. Everything was coming at the rim. I'm not sure if this is a result of some other things going on on the court, but the coaching staff needs to get back on him about that.

To be fair, it wasn't just Banchero. AJ was late on a closeout. And there was a miscommunication between Moore and Keels that had Keels lose him as well.

But it wasn't Banchero's finest hour on either end. In fact, I'd say this might have been his worst game when you consider the circumstances. If you're gonna call UNC soft, you can't then play like one of the softest players on the court.
There was also a play where Keels and someone else both chased the same player over to the left corner and 24 for UNC was wide open in the right corner. He missed, but that was a bullet dodged.

I think that would have cut it to 8 right before the half

It was between 1:30 and 1:00 to go in the half, would've been really bad.

So, @rome8180 I've only seen the 1st half but Duke's rebounding strategy doesn't really seem like one specific thing.
Maybe it's just because UNC's guards are so bad. but it seems like UNCs actions are really, really simple. As such, the defensive responsibility on the 2 man game, whether it's a pick and pop or a pick and roll, are very predictable and the reads are easy. Our bigs simply sag into the lane to stop penetration without over committing to stop the driver. Because this containment is less overplay and almost zonish, the rebounding position is far superior.

On the pick and pop, I think there was some luck here, as UNC missed some pretty good looks from 3. But, because there was positional balance, rebounding is better.

Yeah, seeing Mark sag over and over on the PnR. He's long enough to contain and also deny a pass to his man. Allows Roach et al to catch up and you start to see UNC settle for long two's.

UNC changed up their set to a double screen up top and Bacot is murdering our guys.
Roach got leveled over and over. And then somehow avoided a concussion and made good plays on the other end.

I think it must have been too loud to hear screens being called out. Granted, half the screens were illegal. But illegal screens are almost never called in CBB anyway. Zoubek got away with hundreds.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom