Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke at North Carolina

What’s your prediction, if this game is played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, they dropped the double high and just started running it with Bacot only, while having Manek be the relief valve. Kind of reminds me of how K used to free up Nolan back in the day.

So nice to be able to dispassionately watch this game. Duke played really well for about 28 minutes of this game. The second half of the first half and the shit heads kept this from being a blowout for the ages.

I don't think Hubert is necessarily in over his head at UNC, but he's trying to do things that his personnel can't pull off. Like, this team with Kessler is a completely different animal, and the ACC caught a huge break because Roy was too stupid to play him.

Anyway, Bacot is really good at what he does, but he doesn't even possess a jumper that Mark Williams developed in one off-season. So, you don't have to guard him if he's more than 8 feet from the hoop. That simple little thing let Mark play zone all night.

Manek is a huge pickup for them, and they would be a bottom feeder without his gravity.

Davis and Black are pretty solid role players, but Love is just toxic. Can't shoot, turns it over, doesn't really play defense. He's a real problem.

Also, Manek, Black, Davis and Love are very slight. Outside of Bacot, they are quite small, and not athletic enough to make up for it. If the ACC was marginally more competitive, they would have the pitchforks out for Davis already.

Yeah, I think Hubert is pretty modern in his approach. He's clearly emphasized shooting and spacing in a way that Roy never did. He cares less about offensive rebounding. His defense seems to be pretty conservative.

The trouble for him is that UNC's brand has been so damaged by the lack of NBA success that he's not going to get the players that allow him to do what he wants to any time soon. Next year's class is pathetic unless he lucks into a Luke Maye diamond-in-the-rough.

It also stops the cascading effects of having people help off of their own men.

I think this a big part of the rebounding story against UNC and in general. When guys are scrambling all over the court to recover in overplay when a shot goes up, rebounding is naturally going to be pretty scattered. When they're just comfortably set up between their man and the rim watching the action, it's a lot easier to be in the right spot.

To the point about why the next game could be different, the things I would be concerned about, while understanding Duke will be the way better team at home:

1. Bacot not missing like 10 min in the first half after picking up two fouls
2. Related to #1, given they cannot play Bacot on Banchero, Paolo not properly taking advantage of his matchup. If it's Leaky Black, use the fucking 50 pound advantage and get post position and overpower him. If it's Manek, just drive past him. No dumb midranges and fade-aways especially in a true mismatch like either of these.

So nice to be able to dispassionately watch this game. Duke played really well for about 28 minutes of this game. The second half of the first half and the shit heads kept this from being a blowout for the ages.

I don't think Hubert is necessarily in over his head at UNC, but he's trying to do things that his personnel can't pull off. Like, this team with Kessler is a completely different animal, and the ACC caught a huge break because Roy was too stupid to play him.

Anyway, Bacot is really good at what he does, but he doesn't even possess a jumper that Mark Williams developed in one off-season. So, you don't have to guard him if he's more than 8 feet from the hoop. That simple little thing let Mark play zone all night.

Manek is a huge pickup for them, and they would be a bottom feeder without his gravity.

Davis and Black are pretty solid role players, but Love is just toxic. Can't shoot, turns it over, doesn't really play defense. He's a real problem.

Also, Manek, Black, Davis and Love are very slight. Outside of Bacot, they are quite small, and not athletic enough to make up for it. If the ACC was marginally more competitive, they would have the pitchforks out for Davis already.

I agree with all of this except I think Davis is an All-ACC caliber player (offensively) as an upperclassman despite his build.

I agree with all of this except I think Davis is an All-ACC caliber player (offensively) as an upperclassman despite his build.
Yeah, he has a really nice first step already. Me saying he's a nice role player currently is not meant to imply he can't be a major contributor in the future. Like, he's not Joey Baker role player.

To the point about why the next game could be different, the things I would be concerned about, while understanding Duke will be the way better team at home:

2. Related to #1, given they cannot play Bacot on Banchero, Paolo not properly taking advantage of his matchup. If it's Leaky Black, use the fucking 50 pound advantage and get post position and overpower him. If it's Manek, just drive past him. No dumb midranges and fade-aways especially in a true mismatch like either of these.
They were down 13-2 when Bacot got in foul trouble. And they still got outscored badly in the 2nd half when he was playing.

I'm actually kind of hoping Hubert overreacts to Griffin torching Manek and puts Leaky on him. If that happens, I expect Banchero to torch Manek equally.

Yeah, he has a really nice first step already. Me saying he's a nice role player currently is not meant to imply he can't be a major contributor in the future. Like, he's not Joey Baker role player.
He's damn efficient already (except last night). Their 2nd best player this season. It says something about UNC if their 2nd best player can be considered a role player.

They were down 13-2 when Bacot got in foul trouble. And they still got outscored badly in the 2nd half when he was playing.

I'm actually kind of hoping Hubert overreacts to Griffin torching Manek and puts Leaky on him. If that happens, I expect Banchero to torch Manek equally.

yeah to be clear the game was not going to be close with or without Bacot. Just that he'll presumably play many more minutes next time.

I agree that Banchero should be taking Leaky to the post and winning that matchup, but am I the only one who thought in the second half Leaky defended him as well in the post as anyone has? Felt like he had a few blocks / really tough contests.

Despite my infatuation with all things HubieWut, I tend to agree that at the very least there is no way to tell what kind of coach he could be. It is very hard to take a system and pull it 30 years forward into the modern game, especially with the relatively high level of continuity he faces with this roster. I'm guessing he is at best a slightly above average coach, but I doubt he'll have time to prove even this much. Roy fucked him pretty bad with the combination of style, talent and reputation he now has to overcome. That said, he certainly doesn't seem to be the most inspiring leader. There are enough pieces available that they shouldn't be run off the court by every decent team.

I think that's it. He may be a fine Xs and Os coach, especially in terms of broad system ideas, but the player quotes and his own press conferences coupled with the on-court performances don't sell me on him being great at the motivation/inspiring confidence part of the job.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom