Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. North Carolina (ACC Tournament Finals)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Shot and Laettner’s entire night was like a once every 20 years kind of event too. Cancels out 02.

91: felling the UNLV juggernaut
92: The Shot
01: 22 point comeback vs Maryland
10: Hayward miss, some favorable matchups
15: Wisconsin taking out KY

Yeah like I said it all cancels out. But imagine telling someone after 04 that Duke would only average 1 FF every 9 years until the middle of the 2020s, or that the 10 year drought of beating a team on a higher seed line would extend to thirty years. They would have rightfully assumed K died in a gardening accident that summer
I feel like there's a joke about "hard hedge trimming" in here somewhere, but I'm too depressed to make it.

In terms of maximizing talent on the roster, K is probably not in the top 50 anymore, but I don’t hold recruiting against him so obviously would say he’s still a top 10 coach all things considered, in terms of producing wins per year by any means. The question that remains unanswerable is how much that recruiting gap — which weighs 95/5 in terms of contributing to producing those wins vs tactics from K the last decade — is his particular acumen or more the result of the program and Duke itself. If it’s the case that most of the recruiting advantage is not dependent on K to a large means, then of course his value add is closer to that 50th best coach than top 10 in the sport.

Last edited:
The Shot and Laettner’s entire night was like a once every 20 years kind of event too. Cancels out 02.

91: felling the UNLV juggernaut
92: The Shot
01: 22 point comeback vs Maryland
10: Hayward miss, some favorable matchups
15: Wisconsin taking out KY

Yeah like I said it all cancels out. But imagine telling someone after 04 that Duke would only average 1 FF every 9 years until the middle of the 2020s, or that the 10 year drought of beating a team on a higher seed line would extend to thirty years. They would have rightfully assumed K died in a gardening accident that summer

I’ve pointed this out before too, but it’s scary how close his post-06 resume is to looking even worse. Belmont 08, Michigan 11, and UCF 19 were all averted near-disasters.

He’s just lying now. The team that played 1.1 more games than us the last four days played twice as hard as our players.

And they definitely didn’t do a great job.

I blame this thread...

Other than that, Cattoor 11-16, 7-9 from 3, 31 pts. Come the fuck on. If we could literally cut his points in half, look at the score. First ACC title for VT, ever? If this shit wasn't destined, idk what destiny is

He’s just lying now. The team that played 1.1 more games than us the last four days played twice as hard as our players.

And they definitely didn’t do a great job.

I’ve got not hope. That‘d be a perfectly fine postgame statement after losing to a top team in November, not one week before we go get blasted by a 6 seed in some bumfuck Midwest pod next weekend.

JJ true jinx. Missed charity FT. Came up 20 feet short on half court shot at Gameday. Lost to UNC in Cameron in 2006 and 2022. Lost last night.
That missed charity FT was also a game loss - Miami game on 1/8.

Did anyone notice the fourth foul on Mark Williams should have been on Moore? Not that it would have mattered.

I’ve pointed this out before too, but it’s scary how close his post-06 resume is to looking even worse. Belmont 08, Michigan 11, and UCF 19 were all averted near-disasters.

Yeah, but to speak to the other side, three of our best teams in nine years lost their best/most important player to injury while we were rolling and never got the mojo back. And if Grayson's shot doesn't rim out (or the bullshit call on Wendell goes the other way) and Cassius Winston opens his eyes/Zion gets a play called for him, the last twelve years might be 2-3 NCs and 4-5 FFs. 1986-1994 were my wheelhouse years as a fan, but holy fuck did a lot of things go our way.

Yeah, as lucky as we were to win those tight 2nd round games in 08, 11, and 19, we were also unlucky not to get to the Final Four in either 18 or 19. If you play those end-of-game scenarios again, you'd think we'd win at least one of them.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom