Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. North Carolina

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was worse when we played Maryland every year. Can you imagine playing them now and Terp fans terping on social media?

At least other blue blood programs don't love UNC either even though most hate us more by a wide margin.

I still can't process how we lost to a f***ing mediocre UNCheat Zombie squad. On K's night. There was nothing close to a Stackhouse, MJ, Worthy, Daugherty, Kenny the Jet, Jamison, Ford, Perkins, Carter, McAdoo, Bobby Jones, Walter Davis, O'Koren, 'Sheed, Lawson, even Hansblow out there tonight.

"We need to fight through the remainder of the season. Then I'll be ready to get the hell out of here."

- Coach K

Damn, I love it. But does anyone on this team have the STOMP to win??

In retrospect, this whole night was a pretty terrible idea. In general, it's not the best idea to set yourself up to be the laughingstock of the sports world if you lose a loseable game if you can avoid it, especially when doing so puts an insane amount of pressure on your players and gives massive motivation to your opponents. Hopefully this didn't burn too much of the goodwill, cred, and Scheyer momentum the program's brand has built up recently with recruits and casuals, as social media is pretty ugly tonight.

I don't really know what the alternative would have been, other than to avoid making such a big spectacle of it. It seemed like no one considered the possibility we would lose, and the associated risk/reward.

The whole damn idea had to at least been encouraged by ESPN/ACC Network trying to get a marquee TV property out of their college basketball contract. There's like 5, if that, appointment viewing games a year for most fans who don't follow blue-blood programs.

The stars were just aligned for this to happen. We lost to UVA and Miami and should have lost to Clemson at home. How did none of us see it coming?!

Age difference in lineup was really crazy.
Bacot: 22
Manek: 23.5
Leaky: 22.7
Davis: 20.4
Love: 20.5

Williams: 20.3
Paolo: 19.5
AJ: 18.5
Dell: 20.5
Keels: 18.5

Easy to see how these guys get lost in moment but Ks team is young every year by design. Also crazy how Joey got a DNP this game.

After sleeping a bit more on it, this is my top 5 for worst losses to Carolina since I became a fan:

#5 1998 @UNC, get embarrassed in highly hyped matchup
#4 2003 Lost to an inferior UNC team with a lameduck coach
#3 2006 Gagged in what would set the tone for the rest of the 2000s decade
#2 2005 Choked game, gave them the juice/confidence to go all the way
#1 Last night

Honorable mention: 2001 - Winning the title and winning the overall series 2-1 took the sting off this loss, but really sucked when it happened.

I'm willing to move last night down to #5 if we win the title, but only if.

Scoring 20 points in 10 minutes should be enough to hold onto a lead, but not when the other team is scoring roughly 1.8 ppp.

Age difference in lineup was really crazy.
Bacot: 22
Manek: 23.5
Leaky: 22.7
Davis: 20.4
Love: 20.5

Williams: 20.3
Paolo: 19.5
AJ: 18.5
Dell: 20.5
Keels: 18.5

Easy to see how these guys get lost in moment but Ks team is young every year by design. Also crazy how Joey got a DNP this game.

Preach!

When was the last time there was a 30 point swing in either direction between final scores in the same year, regular season? I can’t recall anything like this happening this century

So here’s the thing. The result didn’t really matter. It sucks because it probably means no 1 seed, but when you’re talking about it from a macro “K-centric” sense, it’s meaningless. His legacy is his legacy, and a loss to UNC to end it doesn’t mean much

It’s our extreme fandom that makes this hurt so much, but I haven’t seen a glut of media folks drawing big conclusions from it.

I will say though, I’m very happy to be done playing in Cameron.

I turned the game off with, I don't know, maybe 10 minutes left, so I didn't see the end and I'm just learning that Carrawell didn't shake Hubie's hand after.

Reactions: TS9

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom