Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. North Carolina

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1999 UConn, 2002 Indiana, 2004 UConn, and 1986 Louisville were the four worst losses in the K era.

Title Banners lost because of these games.

This is the worst loss to Carolina. I'm grateful we haven't met them in the NCAAT. Because I assure you, losing to them in the title game would be 100x worse than what we saw tonight.

Yep. And it’s not getting any better now that K’s gone. Students these days aren’t going to show up and show out for Jon Scheyer. Tonight was Cameron’s death rattle, and we didn’t even make the most of it.

02 Indiana sucked, but I think we’d have lost to Maryland in the title game. Definitely wasn’t anything close to a sure thing.

02 Indiana sucked, but I think we’d have lost to Maryland in the title game. Definitely wasn’t anything close to a sure thing.

Granted, but if you remember that title game, both teams played like dogshit.

Just a huge missed opportunity and makes you wonder

Wow. I didn’t see the game. What an absolute embarrassment. I don’t even know who should be ashamed.

In retrospect, this whole night was a pretty terrible idea. In general, it's not the best idea to set yourself up to be the laughingstock of the sports world if you lose a loseable game if you can avoid it, especially when doing so puts an insane amount of pressure on your players and gives massive motivation to your opponents. Hopefully this didn't burn too much of the goodwill, cred, and Scheyer momentum the program's brand has built up recently with recruits and casuals, as social media is pretty ugly tonight.

I don't really know what the alternative would have been, other than to avoid making such a big spectacle of it. It seemed like no one considered the possibility we would lose, and the associated risk/reward.

Are we so sure we want Hubert to stick around, btw? He showed more coaching acumen by shoving the ball screen down on our throats over and over than Roy has ever shown, imo.
To add to this, Hubert finished 2nd in the conference in terms of win-loss. He finished right behind a far more talented Duke team despite having 41 fewer years of head coaching experience.

Could this be a Matt Doherty flash in the pan? Sure. But Doherty had far more talent to work with in his first couple year.

Yeah I’m not going to crown him anymore than he’s shown in the previous thirty, which is probably an average level coaching record. There’s plenty of mediocre to bad coaches who’ve hung an L on us the last three years. I want to see if he can actually build something and what his vision is. Too soon to make a final judgement call. Recruiting hasn’t been very good so far either which is imperative at the blue blood level.

Last edited:
I was totally fine until I saw an otherwise cool guy I know trash-talking K and Duke on social media. I want to fucking murder him.

In retrospect, this whole night was a pretty terrible idea. In general, it's not the best idea to set yourself up to be the laughingstock of the sports world if you lose a loseable game if you can avoid it, especially when doing so puts an insane amount of pressure on your players and gives massive motivation to your opponents. Hopefully this didn't burn too much of the goodwill, cred, and Scheyer momentum the program's brand has built up recently with recruits and casuals, as social media is pretty ugly tonight.

I don't really know what the alternative would have been, other than to avoid making such a big spectacle of it. It seemed like no one considered the possibility we would lose, and the associated risk/reward.

The only way to have avoided this would've been for K to save announcing his retirement until after this season.

There's no way nothing special is done if it is known in advance. K is too iconic a figure.

Given that this setup has allowed Scheyer to hit the ground running recruiting, I'm cool with it, despite the potential drawbacks associated with it.

I was totally fine until I saw an otherwise cool guy I know trash-talking K and Duke on social media. I want to fucking murder him.

This is probably the worst part about being a Duke fan. Not only do we have to be miserable all the time, but when we soul-crushingly lose to UNC, you have to deal with all of the "Lol you're welcome America, fuck dook!!!" from UNC fans, followed by the "We are all Tar Heels tonight" from random casual fans. I don't know why people feel so righteously justified rubbing salt in the wounds of our already self-hating selves.

I guess it's probably due all the random bandwagon Duke fans that are probably generally shitheads, and we just get the worst of both worlds as a result.

It's more than a bandwagon thing. People just really hate Duke. It's waned some over the past 15 years, but Duke's still more universally hated in the US than any other team I can think of.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom