Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. North Carolina

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seems like all of our worst losses are the result 2nd half defensive collapses.

Yep. Going back to Villanova in '09, our defense gave up 45 points or more in the 2nd half of every one of our tournament losses except 1 or 2. Gave up 50 or more 4 or 5 times. Gave up 65 once.

That ain't just bad luck.
The South Carolina game.

I was also serious about not watching another Duke game. At least for this season. I would like to see how Scheyer does with a few guards who can shoot next season. If that goes poorly, I figure I am out for a while, at least until I have nothing to do with my days anymore.

Reactions: Devilsforlife
I still don't think there is anything to take away from this game, except that they have less than 5 days to get back in the right headspace.

This team has sucked all year at home. The fact they sucked at home again today is unsurprising.

What annoys me is not that they lost (which sucks, don't get me wrong), but it's how they lost. They gave up 54 points in the second half with only brief moments of putting up minimal resistance. They didn't contest shots hardly at all in the second half, they were mostly wide open looks. They contested a few times but almost all of them were on plays where they were out of position and had to recover and make an athletic play to get a blocked shot.

On offense, Roach was having arguably the best offensive game of his career and yet was glued to the bench for most of the 2nd half, which I don't understand. Did Duke run a single play for AJ Griffin the entire game? Why are they having Paolo iso from the top of the key into double teams? They go several minutes without some guys really touching the ball in anything more than a token touch that when they do finally get the ball, they're so desperate to make a play that they end up turning it over or forcing a bad shot. Mark was 8-11 and Roach was 5-6. So those two were a combined 13-17 from the field. The rest of the team shot 40%. Somehow Paolo took 26(!) shots and went 11-26.

When you don't bother to play a lick of defense, you better be incredible on offense to make up for it. They weren't. Lost the rebounding edge, lost the turnover edge, lost the free throw line, lost the three pointers made and made 1% better on total FG attempts. A deserved loss for a shit performance.

After his first season, can't wait to see those comments. It probably start before his 1st end

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil