Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] NCAA Tournament

Who will win the national championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m fine not getting those Paolo/Bagley/Carter level players as long as our guys stay more than 2 years. I want continuity again in this program. Build it with borderline 5* guys who stay til their junior year and sprinkle in an elite guy and legit transfer every other year.

There’s about 355 programs in America trying the continuity strategy, so unless you think Scheyer is going to become a Pitino or Self level savant, I’ll keep taking our chances with the top 3 players

It’s a tough balance. But Duke would at least have the name recognition to land any kid in the 20-30 range unlike the rest of those 355 programs. Do agree that we’ve been blindsided by kids like Frank and Keels who had no business ditching us after one year.

Reactions: beo
It’s a tough balance. But Duke would at least have the name recognition to land any kid in the 20-30 range unlike the rest of those 355 programs. Do agree that we’ve been blindsided by kids like Frank and Keels who had no business ditching us after one year.

That might have worked 5-10 years ago I agree, but in 2023 those 20-30 ranked kids, as we're seeing with Roach, think that staying in school for three or four years is the equivalent to admitting you're a huge, pathetic loser that might as well kill themselves

The classes of 2022-2024, inclusive, just don’t seem to have those Zion/Paolo/Tatum/Bagley/Carter level talents.

At least that will hopefully mean that having the top NBA freshmen will be less of a must for winning it all. Unless I'm missing someone, Davion Mitchell and Agbaji were the only two first-round picks from the previous two champions. Seems like "experienced fringe NBA talent" works just as well for the most part.

Related, I actually thought this was pretty interesting:

Unless I'm missing someone, the only OADs here are Tyus, Winslow, and AD, and almost all of the rest were upperclassmen when they left. And each of the OADs were "stars in their role" types who arrived with a couple elite skills and fit in as complementary scorers, rather than high usage alpha types.

Obviously, your odds are still probably best if you can snag a Carmelo/Durant/AD/Zion type OAD when they come around, but it does drive home the importance in this era of threading the needle and finding guys who can develop into high-floor/low-ceiling NBA contributors but don't tantalize scouts with upside after inconsistently positive freshman years.

Second worst rated title game of all time. Only ahead of the 2018 Villanova slaughter, which was broadcast on TBS. UConn does not move the needle in the least.

I’m fine not getting those Paolo/Bagley/Carter level players as long as our guys stay more than 2 years. I want continuity again in this program. Build it with borderline 5* guys who stay til their junior year and sprinkle in an elite guy and legit transfer every other year.

There’s about 355 programs in America trying the continuity strategy, so unless you think Scheyer is going to become a Pitino or Self level savant, I’ll keep taking our chances with the top 3 players

I'm exactly the opposite, without the continuity I find the college basketball watching experience completely unrewarding.

I find winning basketball games to be rewarding.
Sure, but there are teams that wins in the NBA, Euro League, Spanish league, etc. College basketball teams has to have more to offer than just wins.

Wins, high tempo offense, and a somewhat likeable coach are all I need to be completely honest. Nothing worse than watching a UVA type offensive team. I will watch any high quality basketball game if the play at a high tempo pace. Doesn't need to be reckless fast but at least pushing the ball after rebounds and trying to attack before the defense is set on a regular basis. If the college coach is a dickhead, then he better have a hell of a lot of 1 & 2. IDGAF if a pro coach is a dickhead as long as they can coach.

I find winning basketball games to be rewarding.
Sure, but there are teams that wins in the NBA, Euro League, Spanish league, etc. College basketball teams has to have more to offer than just wins.
I don't have 40 years of history with Euro League teams.

What is this "history" thing that you're speak of? I thought the whole point is that we should have no history, 5 new freshman OAD starters every season, because winning >>> history.

My own emotional history of rooting for Duke basketball. Quit being deliberately obtuse. I'm going to have an emotional connection to Duke no matter what, but that emotional connection will be a lot more pleasant if we're winning games.

Also, where did I say I want a full reset each year? I want the roster that gives us the best chance to win. That's certainly not five freshmen, but it's also not a bunch of 3-star players we recruited because it hurt our feelings when guys left.

Actually the ideal model is probably what we seem to be shifting toward. Drafting a bunch of great high school prospects, losing the guys who are borderline lotto or better, retaining the guys who are borderline 2nd rounders, bringing in another great class, filling out the edges with portal guys.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom