Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Tennessee (NCAA Tournament R32)

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or they could shoot as well as Tyus did from deep? As AJ, Kyrie? It is a gamble as I said, but one I’d make in lieu of bringing back Roach for only one more year. After today his perimeter shooting is essentially at that freshmen Kennard level anyways, and at his stage there’s little reason to think that’s going to suddenly improve. From my perspective I’m trying to maximize tail-end outcomes, so give me the two freshmen

Last edited:
fwiw Scheyer's strategy of fouling the poor FT shooting Tennessee scrub was impressive and a data-driven approach I enjoyed seeing him employ. In most games that works and even in this case it likely would made this a game, if we had the perimeter shooters who could knock down shots at a decent rate.

I think Duke could've taken this in a longer series. Felt like they finally started to understand how to manipulate TN's defense in the second half. Just got bullied in the first half, then in the second were outshot and out-rebounded and had a few close calls against them (at least the Flip diving-charge was an impactful wrong one IMO).

Yeah like I said before, this reminds me of the 2008 WV game, also a 2nd round game. Where they just beat us up physically, outrebounded us 45-19 and knocked us around all over the court.

I don't think the 2010 wins a title without their core group have gone through that game.

Today I can only assume they didn't realize the extent of his injury until he showed up for the game and got checked then by the trainers, but when I heard about it yesterday, I just assumed I'd missed part of the story. It does seem pretty strange, though.

I'm a little surprised tbh, my intuition is that Tenn played above their heads on offense, especially those threes. But I guess it really just was our offense not generating enough quality looks, which just seems derivative of the personnel issue that was apparent at the start of the season. Maybe Tenn got a handful of higher quality shots than they would have if Mitchell had played, but otherwise this was just the last example of a team that didn't have the shotmaking chops to expect them to score 70+ against any non-bad defense

This was only the second tournament game we lost when giving up less than 70 points since 2006. We were something like 25-1 in such games prior to yesterday, with the one loss being 2019 MSU.

We got very few quality looks, because we played the entire game on our heels. Tennessee was the aggressor on defense, and we played offense like we were on defense, trying to avoid contact and avoid having the ball taken away.
This was a game you only have a chance to win if you act on offense like you're playing football, I'm taking this ball and I'm going to stuff it in the endzone. Of course, you need players who have that mentality coming into the game, and the physical maturity to do it. I don't think we had either.
I mean yes, the 3 fouls on UT the entire second half is absurd, but it shows how little we tried to force the issue.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom