Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Virginia Tech

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Missed the game tonight. Looks like Duke and UNC are on a collision course to the Final Four again.

And then Mitchell doesn't get a similar continuation that the VT player did. I think @aiw mentioned that Scheyer was flipping out on that one.

WTF though. I'm watching now, and this is truly the worst officiated game I've ever seen. I'm only 4 minutes in and I've already seen Flip get an offensive foul while sidestepping a defender and VT get NBA continuation.

It's hard to tell when they rarely show replays, but I did feel like that one of the worst start-to-finish officiated games I've seen in a while.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the "verbally abusing refs all game is necessary to get a fair shake" take, other than I really hope it isn't true. I've always assumed it was BS, but this year has made me wonder a bit.

I do think that there may be something to it at home, but mainly as a way to signal to the crowd "you should be angry at this and yell loudly right now". My guess is that atmosphere is what influences refs more than a single egomaniac yelling "that's so bad!!" at them over and over.

I just know my own psychology. And it's aggressively defiant. I would have wanted to fuck K over. It would have had the opposite effect he intended.

I feel like Proctor and Lively have pretty clearly emerged as our two most positive players. Proctor totally changes the offense when he's on his game, and Lively does the same on D. Both are also super valuable in their roles on the opposite ends as well.

That said, our best hope for a tourney run is probably lucking out with a few of these random-ass Roach First Team AA games. They really do just feel like random variance to me, like some magical fairy that decides to visit us every now and then, but it's hard to see us losing when he has one of them and no one else shits the bed too badly. A starting guard with 23% usage going from a 105 ORtg/<1 OBPM albatross to a very efficient 19-10-5 is a massive swing in fortune. And those games have kind of quietly been happening more frequently lately.

It really does feel like this team has progressed a ton in the last month. I agree with Debbie Antonelli (who's consistently great, btw) that it all started with the empowerment of Proctor.

In general, I think this staff has done a great job with player development. Really the only freshman who hasn't taken a leap is Flip, and that's mostly because he started so well.

I think even Grandison and Roach are playing better, so it's not limited to freshmen.

One thing that's given me a lot of Scheyer hope is how night and day difference our offense looks from even a month ago. Part of it is Proctor, part is less constant hugeness, but mainly, we've just had a huge increase in the amount of motion, screening, and quick ball movement we've had.

It wasn't long ago that our whole offense was just swinging the ball around stagnantly before a Flip and iso with shitty spacing. This team doesn't have any iso scorers other than good Roach, but it has a lot of guys who can do certain things well enough to look good in an offense that helps them out with advantage creation.

Also, we've now hit FORTY-THREE threes over our last five games. Where the fuck did that come from?

It really does feel like this team has progressed a ton in the last month. I agree with Debbie Antonelli (who's consistently great, btw) that it all started with the empowerment of Proctor.

In general, I think this staff has done a great job with player development. Really the only freshman who hasn't taken a leap is Flip, and that's mostly because he started so well.

I think even Grandison and Roach are playing better, so it's not limited to freshmen.

Agreed on Antonelli. The difference between her vs Bilas, Alexander, or (sorry) Vitale calling a game is pretty significant in terms of how enjoyable it is for me to watch.

I have liked Jon ever since it became clear we could actually play defense under him, but the last few weeks have given me even more reason for optimism. As I said upthread, we just didn’t see teams grow as a whole as the season went on under K for the last 30 years or so. Push hard for a S16 this year and retain at least Proctor/Mitchell for next year and we can get something good going under him.

All aboard the SS Scheyer!

One thing that's given me a lot of Scheyer hope is how night and day difference our offense looks from even a month ago. Part of it is Proctor, part is less constant hugeness, but mainly, we've just had a huge increase in the amount of motion, screening, and quick ball movement we've had.

It wasn't long ago that our whole offense was just swinging the ball around stagnantly before a Flip and iso with shitty spacing. This team doesn't have any iso scorers other than good Roach, but it has a lot of guys who can do certain things well enough to look good in an offense that helps them out with advantage creation.

Also, we've now hit FORTY-THREE threes over our last five games. Where the fuck did that come from?
Yeah, if you just watch the off ball movement from tonight's game, it's like a bunch of Redicks out there on every possession. Constant quick, purposeful, decisive motion.

Imagine if Duke had Pedulla, Catoor, and Basile on one team. The three worst faces in basketball. One of them looks like a literal pig. I can't remember which one because they're interchangeable garbage.

I have liked Jon ever since it became clear we could actually play defense under him, but the last few weeks have given me even more reason for optimism. As I said upthread, we just didn’t see teams grow as a whole as the season went on under K for the last 30 years or so. Push hard for a S16 this year and retain at least Proctor/Mitchell for next year and we can get something good going under him.

All aboard the SS Scheyer!

But if they gave out awards for being the best team in November, Duke would have needed to build an add-on to CIS to accommodate all of K's accolades.

At some point, it’s not as much about winning a particular game, but protecting your players. They’re the ones getting punched, elbowed and kicked, only to see the refs reverse the calls. The coach can at least tell the refs to go fuck their moms or something.
Yes, this is why I’m on the side of Scheyer needing to be more of an outspoken asshole on the sidelines. In basketball, you basically can’t do anything as a player to support a teammate who has been violated physically, or else you face automatic suspensions. In hockey, this simply isn’t a problem because anyone taking a cheap shot is going to be forced into a fistfight with no gloves immediately or within a few minutes, and that guy is going to be in the penalty box for at least 5 minutes along with the guy trying to bash his face. Hockey can get away with vigilante justice because 99% of the players aren’t viewed by the American public as “thugs.” Chris Paul still hasn’t been punched in the face once in his career despite blatantly punching several guys’ dicks and talking shit about it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom