Game Thread [2023-24] NC State (NCAA E8)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're right that the Oakland game is probably dragging them down. Won by 6 pts against a team that was frankly overseeded as a 14. Oakland entered the tournament as the #137 team on Kenpom. Horrific loss by Kentucky to them. There have been losses to 15 seeds that were better.

Calipari’s 15/14 seed humiliations were to #102 and #137. Ours were to #79 and #87. He’s been such an abysmal coach the last 4 years.

Not to look ahead, but Duke getting NC State, Tennessee, and UConn would be interesting for narrative purposes.

NC State was ranked 74th before 2/16 and is ranked 29th since.

Diarra was playing 13.7 mpg before 2/16 and is at 32.3 mpg since.

He's had plenty of good games against athletic teams. GMAFB. There are times when he's the best defensive player on the floor, and his cutting and rim finishing do matter. It's not that easy to get open dunks or everyone would just do it. The takes on him are just awful.

Mitchell’s Top 50 splits worry me.

103 Ortg
50% eFG
21% 3pt

While rebounding, block, and steal rates decline considerably. I think part of the “soft” narrative stems from shrinking performances in big games. If Mitchell shows up with verve, he changes our dynamic completely.

That's fair. But people had said the same thing about Proctor heading into last night.

That’s the silver lining. You can pep talk a kid into playing with heart and enthusiasm, to put K’s spin on it. Motivating players into the right mindset is a freely controlled variable that the coach can change on a dime.

Proctor seemed to just need the confidence to be assertive enough to take/make that shot.

Mitchell just needs to play composed and he’s golden. Jon theoretically can talk him into that.

Yeah it’s the exact opposite of my experience. They hate UNC more than anything and are probably the only fan base that roots for us when we play UNC.

I’ve seen FAR more vitriol towards Duke from Wake fans. Those guys have become shockingly unhinged in the last few years especially.

Duke and State fans both tend to root for each other against UNC. I always love seeing Doeren own Mack.

I hesitate to even post this out loud, and when we lose, I'll accept responsibility - but it does feel like there's a scenario where we just blow the doors off them. State's due to have a crash at some point, and it feels like we're in a good spot mentally and are a team that can have random huge games. Seems set up as well as it could be.

I hesitate to even post this out loud, and when we lose, I'll accept responsibility - but it does feel like there's a scenario where we just blow the doors off them. State's due to have a crash at some point, and it feels like we're in a good spot mentally and are a team that can have random huge games. Seems set up as well as it could be.
I could definitely see this game being a lower scoring version of Duke-Arkansas 2022.

Logically I just don't think teams like that will beat this Duke team two times. State has caught everyone off guard since they got their shit together, but this is our second time facing that version of this team and I believe we are well coached enough that it should be a win (barring any flukes).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil