Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] Vermont (NCAA R64)

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Duke will have had a week to prepare/heal and four full days to game plan for a team that is basically at the level of Georgia Tech/Notre Dame. This is an important one for Jon and the staff.

Anyone know if Foster will be back?

Vermont seems to be the kind of team that has the historical profile of a possible NCAAT upset maker just given snails pace and high 3pt attempt rate. I just don't think the snails pace will help that too much against Duke who is pretty slow as well.

Vermont seems to be the kind of team that has the historical profile of a possible NCAAT upset maker just given snails pace and high 3pt attempt rate. I just don't think the snails pace will help that too much against Duke who is pretty slow as well.
The way they beat us is by having an outlier shooting night. 3pt variance being what it is, I'm always worried about teams that take a lot.

But they haven't beaten anyone good. They haven't even played anyone who wasn't total trash in months. The one "good" team they played was VT back in December and they got trucked.

If Duke makes a reasonable effort to contest their threes, we should be fine.

I give Vermont about a 6% chance to win. So if you like to gamble I think the -900 is value.

I believe shooting 71% from two means they finish transitions strong with a dunk or layup, or get into the paint easily. This is where Duke needs their guards to stop the ball from getting past the key and making Vermont shoot contested threes. They'll have to hit a bunch of contested threes to beat Duke.

How often is Vermont in transition? They play at almost the slowest pace in the country.
Yeah, 349th in pace and also don't generate turnovers.

This is going to be a very boring game, imo. Stylistically, they are pretty much the definition of "discipline over flashiness."

Duke can’t lose this game….

Vermont is talented no doubt 19-1 in their last 20 games. But they haven’t played anyone good. Their last loss was on Feb. 8th to the 7-21 N.J.I.T Highlanders.

I really just hope Duke doesn’t shiit the bed for the first 5 mins of the game and give Vermont any hope. They only have 1 big who’s listed 6’8 210 but springy. Everyone else is a guard. Flip/Mitchell should really dominate. Even Young/Sean should get their moments in this game. The 3 guards just have to show up.

Hate to look ahead but who do we perfer on the next rd of Wisconsin/JM?!

I mean, usually Mitchell dominating is actually good for us. It involves him cutting down the baseline over and over for dunks. You're not going to get a better shot than that. I believe our record when he scores 10+ points is still excellent.

I would definitely like Flip to be more of a facilitator, but I always feel that way.

I mean, usually Mitchell dominating is actually good for us. It involves him cutting down the baseline over and over for dunks. You're not going to get a better shot than that. I believe our record when he scores 10+ points is still excellent.
I meant straight post ups because our guys are bigger. I really hope we don’t see a bunch of that.

I meant straight post ups because our guys are bigger. I really hope we don’t see a bunch of that.
Yeah, for sure.

We're also not going to work them on the offensive glass. Great defensive rebounding team.

Flip/Mitchell should really dominate.
My worry is the coaches have this attitude as well and gameplan to feed the post all game while Vermont takes a million 3s.
In the longer scouting breakdown video above, Vermont gives up many pick and roll easy baskets.

As far as Vermont chucking 3s. Just checkout the box score of their last few wins and that should make you feel better.

Last 3 games from 3…. 4/16, 7/26, 8/25 and ranked 140th at 34.7% on season.

2 games ago they held New Hampshire to 4/28 from 3..36% shooting for the game and only won 66-59. Can’t see Vermont holding Duke in the 60s or low 70s.

Where did you get their 3p%? They are shooting 33.5% #201 on kenpom.

Flip/Mitchell should really dominate.
My worry is the coaches have this attitude as well and gameplan to feed the post all game while Vermont takes a million 3s.
In the longer scouting breakdown video above, Vermont gives up many pick and roll easy baskets.

As far as Vermont chucking 3s. Just checkout the box score of their last few wins and that should make you feel better.

Last 3 games from 3…. 4/16, 7/26, 8/25 and ranked 140th at 34.7% on season.

2 games ago they held New Hampshire to 4/28 from 3..36% shooting for the game and only won 66-59. Can’t see Vermont holding Duke in the 60s or low 70s.
The worry is their volume of threes, not their accuracy. Teams can always have an outlier shooting game and beat you that way. We should be fine if we give reasonable effort on contests though.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom