Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best game in the rivalry from each side's perspective

Craft entered the Ben Wallace/Nicolas Batum zone at some point last season - so underrated that he became overrated.

I don't really understand the love for Craft. On the defensive end he is fantastic. On offense he is a huge black hole

I wasn't debating the merits of Craft versus Paulus anyway. My point is that they are the scrappy white guys that opposing fans love to hate. Our antagonism toward Craft would be a lot higher if our teams played in the Big 10, I'm sure. Regardless, I've just never seen a pairing that made more sense. It's like what Brad Stevens will be at Duke. :P

uncy12 said:
I don't really understand the love for Craft. On the defensive end he is fantastic. On offense he is a huge black hole

Pretty much every big game I've seen he's made horrible offensive play after horrible offensive play to cost his team the game. In the Duke game, I remember he missed a wide open floater at a crucial moment by about three feet. Missed a wide open three badly too. Let's not even talk about the Michigan game.

rome8180 said:
I wasn't debating the merits of Craft versus Paulus anyway. My point is that they are the scrappy white guys that opposing fans love to hate. Our antagonism toward Craft would be a lot higher if our teams played in the Big 10, I'm sure. Regardless, I've just never seen a pairing that made more sense. It's like what Brad Stevens will be at Duke. :P
I couldn't see Stevens portrayed as a villian like K is by a good bunch of people.

Oh, they'd find a way. "He's just too calm...why doesn't he show any emotion? Clearly it's because he doesn't have any and is a sociopath."

Not that the kind of people who would say that shit know the word sociopath.

rome8180 said:
Oh, they'd find a way. "He's just too calm...why doesn't he show any emotion? Clearly it's because he doesn't have any and is a sociopath."
I'm praying Duke doesn't get him. Stevens has found a way to win games with country farm white dudes. I'd hate to see what he could do with an athlete like Plumlee, Jefferson etc.

The good ol' gosh just a country boy out here'a portrayal of stevens is apparently as hollow as Roy's. Turns out he actually swears and yells at his players and whines at the refs thank god. I was worried that he really was some hick for a second that wouldn't be smart enough to realize the benefit from working the refs, which absolutely does win games. Not to mention the good ol golly gosh me crap doesn't work against top shelf talent who thinks they'll be in the NBA one day. Anyone think Brad Stevens the caricature could have coached Austin?

Needs to stop doing that "i'm too cool to look at explosions" crap whenever his player takes a halfcourt heave. Come on.

tankbaby2 said:
yeah, i guess i don't get the lovefest for 82-50.

its so unimpressive. that UNC team stunk, and quit. its like beating retarded chicks at poker. congrats, i guess? LOL - we were awful and no UNC fan I know is really all that bummed about that game. we all had given up on that team long ago.
UNC had won the title the year before and had been owning the rivalry the previous 3 seasons. Then Harrison Barnes happened. UNC had played well and won their two previous games to pull to 16-14 and looked like they might sneak into tournament if they could beat Duke. Hubert picked UNC before the game. And then we proceeded to kick the shit out of UNC for 40 minutes. We could have won by 45 if K had wanted to. That game destroyed any last hope for UNC making the tournament plus it just seemed to embody the anger/fire that Coach and the team had that season by humiliating our rivals. And yes, there were plenty of highlight plays.

DurhamSon said:
The good ol' gosh just a country boy out here'a portrayal of stevens is apparently as hollow as Roy's. Turns out he actually swears and yells at his players and whines at the refs thank god. I was worried that he really was some hick for a second that wouldn't be smart enough to realize the benefit from working the refs, which absolutely does win games. Not to mention the good ol golly gosh me crap doesn't work against top shelf talent who thinks they'll be in the NBA one day. Anyone think Brad Stevens the caricature could have coached Austin?

Needs to stop doing that "i'm too cool to look at explosions" crap whenever his player takes a halfcourt heave. Come on.

I've never thought of him as country boy at all. I see a guy who comes across as highly cerebral, collected, and almost zen-like. Almost a walking computer.

tankbaby2 said:
nah, that was the first game of the year. boozer missed the game at the dome where K had switched up his lineup. we played a tight one that went to OT I believe but you guys got the best of us.
No one gave Duke a chance going in, but they easily handled UNC the first game without Boozer. Haywood and Lang were laughing at Casey Sanders at the opening tip (that's actually kinda funny). Duke unleashed a halfcourt trap that Curry couldn't handle, and Duke just launched 3s like mad. Jason Williams had 35 points or something crazy. The ACCT final that year was even more hilarious. I think it was tied or close halfway through the first half before Duke went to the trap and had like a 50-30 lead at the half.

physicsfactor said:
tankbaby2 said:

its so unimpressive. that UNC team stunk, and quit. its like beating retarded chicks at poker. congrats, i guess? LOL - we were awful and no UNC fan I know is really all that bummed about that game. we all had given up on that team long ago.
UNC had won the title the year before and had been owning the rivalry the previous 3 seasons. Then Harrison Barnes happened. UNC had played well and won their two previous games to pull to 16-14 and looked like they might sneak into tournament if they could beat Duke. Hubert picked UNC before the game. And then we proceeded to kick the shit out of UNC for 40 minutes. We could have won by 45 if K had wanted to. That game destroyed any last hope for UNC making the tournament plus it just seemed to embody the anger/fire that Coach and the team had that season by humiliating our rivals. And yes, there were plenty of highlight plays.
That entire season was catharsis for the last several years in the rivalry. One of the many things that makes the 2010 team my favorite of all time.

tankbaby2 said:
most painful losses:

05 in Cameron when Felton and McCants jacked up the last possession
To be fair, that was Roy's fault. On that last play, he ran the exact same play you guys had run successfully against UConn earlier that year (or was it the year before?). If you watch the replay, Redick didn't bother to go with McCants down on the block. He stayed up above May's screen, and it made Felton panic. I think JJ even said in the postgame interview that Duke knew exactly what play UNC was going to run.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Doherty's 8-20 UNC team at Cameron was my least favorite win. You could get into Cameron at tipoff if you wanted to. It wasn't at max capacity in the student sections. Duke had nothing to gain and everything to lose. And then Doherty rewarded the fans with stall ball for 40 minutes, which was the right thing to do tactically, but an embarrassment to UNC and to the game.
Lamest bonfire of my five years.

The 98 game when Brand and Carawell and co. made a comeback down like 17-20 with under 12 to go to win by 2 was very clutch. I think we were #1 and #2 at the time as well.

(That was Wes Miller JJ was shooting over for 35 at the DD in '06, iirc.)

physicsfactor said:
Yeah, we were jobbed in the worst way in that final minute at UNC in '05. Total ****. I was begging to see them in the tournament that year because that Duke team was in their heads.
I used to have a screenshot of Daniel Ewing getting hacked on the arm by... Noel, I think, for a crucial no-call turnover in that last minute. UNC could make similar complaints about the refs coming down the stretch in their loss at the DD last year, though.

*The '01 DD game w/o Boozer was pretty awesome to me. All hope seemed lost, and then K innovated and came up w/ the plan and style that would catapult us to #3.
*Wojo's Sr. Day game was great.
*Duhon's lay-up at the Dome in '04 gets more attention, but the second game in Cameron may be more meaningful for me just b/c of how I watched it. I was in Portland, Or for my younger/middle brother's 30th b-day. He had to work and didn't have cable, so I had researched it ahead of time and found a bar that would have it on. The youngest brother (a UNC fan) and I biked across town to what ended up being somewhat of a country club. I had kind of hoped to spring an all-Duke ambush on lil bro, but to my surprise, the bar was about 50/50 Duke fans and UNC fans. In the Triangle, that's really repulsive to me. I don't want to watch that game w/ UNC fans. But 2000+ miles removed from the epicenter of the rivalry, it was more the rivalry that brought people together than which side of it you were on. It was really cool. Not to be too dramatic or self-important, but it was pretty much like when Malcolm X went to Mecca and discovered White people could be okay, too. Then JJ played some D to preserve the win.
*82-50. Duke's '10 title team stands out for how alarmingly unathletic it was. It was also the only one of the 4 championship teams that swept UNC.
*Austin's apex.

tankbaby2 said:

It ended a 4-game losing streak in Cameron to you guys. It also remains only the second time in the Roy era that we've beaten you in the second match-up. And blow-outs are fun. There's no tension; it's all celebration.

bfactor said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Doherty's 8-20 UNC team at Cameron was my least favorite win. You could get into Cameron at tipoff if you wanted to. It wasn't at max capacity in the student sections. Duke had nothing to gain and everything to lose. And then Doherty rewarded the fans with stall ball for 40 minutes, which was the right thing to do tactically, but an embarrassment to UNC and to the game.
Lamest bonfire of my five years.
Nah, it was the ACCT game where Doh pulled out the stall ball. 60-48. The reg season closer at CIS was where JWill scored 37 and we left him in and let him gun for an attempt at 40.

Re: Best game in the rivalry from e ach side's perspective

I forgot about the 2011 game in Cameron where we came back from that huge halftime deficit. That place was the loudest I can remember.

physicsfactor said:
tankbaby2 said:
most painful losses:

05 in Cameron when Felton and McCants jacked up the last possession
To be fair, that was Roy's fault. On that last play, he ran the exact same play you guys had run successfully against UConn earlier that year (or was it the year before?). If you watch the replay, Redick didn't bother to go with McCants down on the block. He stayed up above May's screen, and it made Felton panic. I think JJ even said in the postgame interview that Duke knew exactly what play UNC was going to run.

don't blame Roy. he only has 3 plays.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom