Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best game in the rivalry from each side's perspective

tankbaby2 said:
he had a good shot and he went all out.

craft is a really good shooter too. and a superior ball handler, defender, leader, etc.. craft is really good.

Craft is turning into a horrible shooter. Like, don't even guard him shooter.

I mean, I understand why you enjoyed the 2010 win. No doubt. I just think it gets way overblown (the gap in the score, etc...) If you guys have a season where your team completely tanks (won't happen under K), the players go rogue, your best player gets hurt, you have a cancer running point... its just not going to be that important of a win for me.

I cherish the wins over great teams. the 102-100 win in 95 isn't even that remarkable to me other than the fact that you guys battled so hard. we should have beaten that team by 20, easily.

the 2010 team was every bit as embarrassing as the 2002 (8-20, people swear that this actually happened so I will believe them i guess) team, imo.

this season is actually much more frustrating than 2010. we have talent. we have good kids that work hard. we don't have locker room cancers. the guys are getting stoned 5 days a week. we could be a top 20 team. its all on Roy and his absurd bullheadedness.

he claims his starting 5 is his "best five'. that's ridiculous and so much shit its hard to stomach. if he believes it, why does hubert play 4-5 minutes a half? why is he pretending that Reggie is a 3 when he played the 2 all last year? his take that PJ can't get minutes at the expense of anyone but Reggie? C'mon. he wants to be the martyr but he's the perp. these rotations suck and his starting lineup is indefensibly bad. but now that he's been called out on it repeatedly... no shot it will change. if he changes it and it works, he's an idiot. not gonna happen. if he changes it and it doesn't work, he gets to rub it in fans faces. if he doesn't change, we're fucked. imo, this season is over. until i see him go to a lineup that includes PJ, Bullock, and McAdoo for nearly 30 mins of on court time TOGETHER every game, i think we are toast. not that those 3 are amazing, but they are far and away our best 3 and to refuse to give them court time together is the same as refusing to win or try your best. its fucking foolishness. he has me pissed off. this is probably the wrong thread, but i made a tie in to 95 so i hope it flies. :)

also, i think krs had to be kidding earlier re: King Rice. he made Bobby Hurley cry on the court and it was awesome. He also dominated hurley in Cameron to the tune of a 91-71 victory that i got to watch from the 1st row behind the crazies. it was glorious.

From a sentimental standpoint, I would go with 2/28/81. Gene Banks basically beat UNC by himself. Banks is one of the greatest Devils ever, and even though this wasn't a Coach K recruit, he is one of my all time faves. A true class act.

tankbaby2 said:
this season is actually much more frustrating than 2010. we have talent. we have good kids that work hard. we don't have locker room cancers. the guys are getting stoned 5 days a week.
Wait, what? Stoned? As in, doing the pot?

rome8180 said:
DurhamSon said:
The good ol' gosh just a country boy out here'a portrayal of stevens is apparently as hollow as Roy's. Turns out he actually swears and yells at his players and whines at the refs thank god. I was worried that he really was some hick for a second that wouldn't be smart enough to realize the benefit from working the refs, which absolutely does win games. Not to mention the good ol golly gosh me crap doesn't work against top shelf talent who thinks they'll be in the NBA one day. Anyone think Brad Stevens the caricature could have coached Austin?

Needs to stop doing that "i'm too cool to look at explosions" crap whenever his player takes a halfcourt heave. Come on.

I've never thought of him as country boy at all. I see a guy who comes across as highly cerebral, collected, and almost zen-like. Almost a walking computer.
That's the same impression I have.

Where did this "good ole gosh country boy" thing come from?

I first head him on ESPNEWS on a telephone coversation between a ESPN anchor and him. He sounded like a well-prepared marketing analyst (which actually makes sense if you look into his business background).

In the last Butler game I watched I saw Stevens drop quite a few "F" bombs.

That's just the impression I got. Read some article a while back about how he took his eventual wife on a first date to watch some highschool basketball game in the middle of nowheresville Indiana. Gave off kind of a rural vibe I guess.

Dattier said:
tankbaby2 said:
this season is actually much more frustrating than 2010. we have talent. we have good kids that work hard. we don't have locker room cancers. the guys are getting stoned 5 days a week.
Wait, what? Stoned? As in, doing the pot?

nope, that's just a Freudian projection on my part.

tankbaby2 said:
rhfarmer said:
From a sentimental standpoint, I would go with 2/28/81. Gene Banks basically beat UNC by himself. Banks is one of the greatest Devils ever, and even though this wasn't a Coach K recruit, he is one of my all time faves. A true class act.

yup, great performance. also provided one of the best sports pictures i've ever seen:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/sellnew/Vi ... EM_ID=4200

I know I've said this many times, but my Duke fandom began with Gene Banks. It predates K. If K had coached that Duke team with Banks, Gminski, Dennard, Bender, Spanarkel, there would be another banner in Cameron.

Fitting, then, that Bullock’s fondest UNC-Duke memory begins with Stackhouse soaring through the air and ends with him having just completed one of the most memorable dunks in the history of the rivalry. Stackhouse’s dunk against Duke in 1995 in Cameron Indoor Stadium has become a part of Duke-UNC lore

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... rylink=cpy

Bullock almost 4 years old. His favorite memory is a replay.

Jan. 18, 1989 UNC at #1 Duke, W, 91-71

One of my fondest memories. Me and my dad sitting in the stands watching King Rice dominate

tankbaby2 said:
i think krs had to be kidding earlier re: King Rice. he made Bobby Hurley cry on the court and it was awesome. He also dominated hurley in Cameron to the tune of a 91-71 victory that i got to watch from the 1st row behind the crazies. it was glorious.

Why would I be kidding? Their battles were epic. Through their obvious disdain for one another, they pretty much personified the Duke/UNC rivalry.

As you mentioned, Rice had his way with Hurley on multiple occasions, but Hurley had his moments as well. FR/SO Hurley was 2-3 against JR/SR Rice. And honestly, from a statistical standpoint, I do not care one way or the other. This thread is about 'rivalry perspective'...from my perspective, the numbers are subordinate to the memories. I'll never forget those two.

Duke's Dan Meagher and UVA's Tom Sheehey are the only other players I can recall who demonstrated the mutual hatred that Hurly and Rice did.

Definitely no kidding on my part.

krsmith16 said:
tankbaby2 said:
i think krs had to be kidding earlier re: King Rice. he made Bobby Hurley cry on the court and it was awesome. He also dominated hurley in Cameron to the tune of a 91-71 victory that i got to watch from the 1st row behind the crazies. it was glorious.

Why would I be kidding? Their battles were epic. Through their obvious disdain for one another, they pretty much personified the Duke/UNC rivalry.

As you mentioned, Rice had his way with Hurley on multiple occasions, but Hurley had his moments as well. FR/SO Hurley was 2-3 against JR/SR Rice. And honestly, from a statistical standpoint, I do not care one way or the other. This thread is about 'rivalry perspective'...from my perspective, the numbers are subordinate to the memories. I'll never forget those two.

Duke's Dan Meagher and UVA's Tom Sheehey are the only other players I can recall who demonstrated the mutual hatred that Hurly and Rice did.

gotcha - i fully agree. i just thought you were thinking hurley came out on top all the time (which would make sense, he's an all time great and king rice is... king rice). i remember it the same as you. loved those days. man, in 89 it was WAR.

Over at DBR, Feinstein has a nice article on the rivalry. Devotes a couple of paragraphs to Coach K's decision to pressure Rice (who everyone knew couldn't shoot) and how it almost always back-fired.

K should've been the one crying...not Hurley!

Rollins said:
My first Duke Unc game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg30N_Zx ... EovfGtmHDk

the youtube embed wasn't working but this is worth a click.

I love the Maryland game that pops up in the player immediately after that. As unimportant as that game ultimately was, the second play there is one of my favorite moments in Duke history. Has everything you could want out a basketball play. Singler steal and save, crosscourt pass to Scheyer, touch pass to Nolan, another touch pass back to the trailing Henderson, then Henderson's amazing smile after that. He said it was the best play he'd ever been involved in at Duke.

krsmith16 said:
tankbaby2 said:

Meagher! Yes!

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom