Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Cameron Reddish

Yeah, I'm not really worried about him. Like Rome said, K was able to maximize Ingram who had the same things said about him. Ingram also had to shoulder a lot more scoring than Reddish will have to do. We basically only had Allen, Ingram and Kennard as reliable scorers who guys who could create their own shots. Next year we should have 5 guys who can create on their own-RJ, Z, Cam, Tre and AOC.
Uh, Jack White, bro.

And that's a freshman Kennard who you're talking about.
Yep, he was more ready out of the gate than I thought he'd be. 12 and 4 in 26min. Really wasn't expecting that. Struggled a bit from the 3 that year but his offensive game never really had any weaknesses.

I don't understand your hostility over this. It has been fairly widely reported that Cam Reddish wasn't pushed hard enough by his high school coaches. Slater, Fran Fraschilla, Evan Daniels, etc have commented on his motor and lack of intensity. I distinctly remember there being chatter that his high school coaching was average, which is what started this whole back & forth.

I think ultimately this bodes well for Duke as Coach K will be able to get his motor and intensity going a little bit, and being in a more competitive environment should help. If he's #2 or #3 with giving minimal effort in high school than his upside should be huge if he can keep the switch 'on'

I promise you, there is absolutely zero hostility. You claimed that Reddish received poor coaching when you've never seen them practice or play and didn't even know the guys name.

The reports of him being coddled may very well be true. It also may very will be true that he would been coddled at 99% of other places and be passive still. Do you think Zion wasn't being coddled by his coach at his public school? Some kids have a motor and some don't and it may take until college or later for it to develop.

The fact that Reddish developed into a top 5 player in the country has nothing to do with his coaches? The fact that he plays without a motor is all on the coaches?

I'm not hostile at all, you just struck a nerve and I thought you would know better having claimed to be a coach yourself than to throw another coach under the bus that you've never seen do anything more than coach one game.

I'm not claiming that Reddish played for John Wooden, but this talk of him playing for some schmuck is insanely speculative.

No one is saying he played for some schmuck, know nothing coach. The only person who keeps insinuating that rhetoric is you, from your "schmuck" comment to the Lavar Ball and other stuff you were on a few posts ago. There is poor coaching throughout high school basketball, and it isn't just "insanely speculative" when we have numerous analysts reporting on Reddish not receiving enough coaching. Andrew Slater, who is as highly regarded as anyone on this board in that field, has gone after that subject numerous times with regards to Reddish, and his opinion is now being supported by multiple people in his field.

I don't understand your hostility over this. It has been fairly widely reported that Cam Reddish wasn't pushed hard enough by his high school coaches. Slater, Fran Fraschilla, Evan Daniels, etc have commented on his motor and lack of intensity. I distinctly remember there being chatter that his high school coaching was average, which is what started this whole back & forth.

I think ultimately this bodes well for Duke as Coach K will be able to get his motor and intensity going a little bit, and being in a more competitive environment should help. If he's #2 or #3 with giving minimal effort in high school than his upside should be huge if he can keep the switch 'on'

I promise you, there is absolutely zero hostility. You claimed that Reddish received poor coaching when you've never seen them practice or play and didn't even know the guys name.

The reports of him being coddled may very well be true. It also may very will be true that he would been coddled at 99% of other places and be passive still. Do you think Zion wasn't being coddled by his coach at his public school? Some kids have a motor and some don't and it may take until college or later for it to develop.

The fact that Reddish developed into a top 5 player in the country has nothing to do with his coaches? The fact that he plays without a motor is all on the coaches?

I'm not hostile at all, you just struck a nerve and I thought you would know better having claimed to be a coach yourself than to throw another coach under the bus that you've never seen do anything more than coach one game.

I'm not claiming that Reddish played for John Wooden, but this talk of him playing for some schmuck is insanely speculative.

No one is saying he played for some schmuck, know nothing coach. The only person who keeps insinuating that rhetoric is you, from your "schmuck" comment to the Lavar Ball and other stuff you were on a few posts ago. There is poor coaching throughout high school basketball, and it isn't just "insanely speculative" when we have numerous analysts reporting on Reddish not receiving enough coaching. Andrew Slater, who is as highly regarded as anyone on this board in that field, has gone after that subject numerous times with regards to Reddish, and his opinion is now being supported by multiple people in his field.

You were the one, in another thread, raving about Barrett’s coaches and then put that Reddish is “poorly coached”. The only evidence of this I have seen from you is a tweet from Slater saying that he has been coddled. Is it fair to assume that he was also coddled by Team Final? How about USA Basketball, which he’s played for a ton in terms of camps, U19 and now Hoop Summit? Maybe, just maybe, it’s the kids problem and not all on the coaches?

Once again, my issue is with you spouting “fake news”. You have zero clue who the coach is at Westtown, nor how good a job he did or did not do. He very well could have done a bad job, but these little tweets and shit about being coddled doesn’t prove anything.

Anyway, I’m done with this argument. Let’s move on and worry about Cam at Duke. Hopefully, K, can get through to him and get him playing his best ball. He was able to flip the switch for Ingram, but he has been known to coddle some players too.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth but I was under the impression that Slater has been critical of the Westtown coaching staff for a few years going back to the Bamba/Reddish/Randolph teams.

Reddish is a different animal than Ingram, to me. Ingram in HS just seemed like a scrawny kid who didn't quite know how to assert himself at times. Reddish, on the other hand, is perfectly capable of doing whatever he wants, he just seems a little too cool.

That's what I worry about with him. He just seems like a guy who's going to be content to cruise along, make sure he looks cool without risking mixing it up in any way that could stress him out or make him look unsexy, get drafted on potential, and move on to the rest of his awesome life.

I'm fine with him being mostly a role player, I just don't want him to be aloof and not GAFing while he does it. Can't have your glue guy be a prima donna.

Closer comparison in terms of usage/efficiency/role might be Kennard 2017, who was happy to fall behind Tatum and Allen in the pecking order despite being the most efficient offensive option. Kennard could take over when he wanted to, and Duke was usually better off when he did, but he generally was a good sport and didn't disrupt the alpha battle between Tatum and Allen (Barrett and Zion next season). Kennard also didn't care about defense at Duke, which I expect out of Reddish as well, but Reddish has a half foot of wingspan on Kennard and there's a chance K doesn't force man-to-man on his team like he did in 2017, so Reddish should be able to get away more with loafing.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth but I was under the impression that Slater has been critical of the Westtown coaching staff for a few years going back to the Bamba/Reddish/Randolph teams.

Yes, he has been.

I can envision a scenario where DF will be frustrated when he pulls up for 10-12 foot jumpers/floaters instead of finishing at the rim to avoid contact. I hope he can get to the FT line and not overly rely on jumpers and a finesse game

I can envision a scenario where DF will be frustrated when he pulls up for 10-12 foot jumpers/floaters instead of finishing at the rim to avoid contact. I hope he can get to the FT line and not overly rely on jumpers and a finesse game

I thought he did that pretty well a few times in the Hoop Summit. He kinda needed to draw the foul on both plays because he'd gotten into a situation in which the shot would be really contested, but both times he got the call (and I think he hit most of the FTs).

Based on my limited viewing, it seems like he only takes threes and layups. He seems to understand that part of the game well. I don't think he's afraid of contact either. I think it's more that he simply doesn't take any shots at all for long stretches.

From the NBADraftroom

Strengths

Has great size for a SG and tremendous length with a +6 wingspan. He's a well built and strong athlete who has good coordination and excellent burst.

Very effective in iso situations and knows how to get his own shot. Has a nice feel for getting to the rim and uses crossovers and hesitation dribbles well. Can rise up over defenders to get his shot and does a nice job of creating space off the dribble.

Has combo guard skills and is developing nice handles. Has an improving outside shot and should be able to make this a consistent part of his game.

Reddish is a versatile defender who can hold his own at multiple positions, including being able to stay with most point guards thanks to his length and quick feet. He fits the mold of a modern NBA wing who is interchangeable at the 1-3 positions.

Weaknesses
Needs to tighten up the mechanics on his jumper and continue to become a consistent threat from outside.

Isn't the most explosive athlete and lacks top-end burst and leaping ability. Can play above the rim but doesn't hang out there.

Reddish 6-9 height, 7-0 wingspan, 8-10 standing reach. That's great, and makes me appreciate how next-level Durant was coming out of college, at 6-9 height, 7-5 wingspan.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom