Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Cameron Reddish

I like a lot of things about Cam's game, he seems like a nice kid, I hope he learns how to actually play basketball and doesn't become a massive bust.

He is in the same group of Frank/Duvall/Trent who left early to me. He's obviously projected way higher than those guys so it makes perfect sense to capitalize on that draft stock. Him coming back won't help his stock, but dammit could this kid use another year to improve. Just the way the OAD years have gone for Duke.

Coming back would be the dumbest thing imaginable for him. If he comes back he’ll not only have to be 100% better but also one of the best players in the NBA to retain his draft stock. He has the mystery “potential” that some hapless GM will gamble on in the lottery, that goes away next year, and with a better draft.

Hope he goes pro now while he still has some draft stock to cash in.

Not trying to rag on the kid but damn was he a disappointment.

I can't help shake the notion that this is also coaching/development related.

We heard over and over from Duke people about how he needs to drive to the basket, when it was almost a certain turnover. The staff should have been prepping him to be a 3 and D wing. It is malpractice to do otherwise.

If he was sat down and shown footage of Trevor Ariza, or hell, Danny Green and shown their career earnings and NBA titles maybe he could have become a more valuable player for his one season at Duke.

Instead, K was trying to turn him into DWade.

I honestly can't believe he turned out to nothing all year. Such high hope and praise going into the season, and just shit the bed.

If he was semi-competent, and could consistently score 12+ we would have be ok. But nope - cam couldn't even hold onto the ball. Have fun GMs

I can't help shake the notion that this is also coaching/development related.

We heard over and over from Duke people about how he needs to drive to the basket, when it was almost a certain turnover. The staff should have been prepping him to be a 3 and D wing. It is malpractice to do otherwise.

If he was sat down and shown footage of Trevor Ariza, or hell, Danny Green and shown their career earnings and NBA titles maybe he could have become a more valuable player for his one season at Duke.

Instead, K was trying to turn him into DWade.

(This might make sense only to me and it ended up being way too long, but fuck it.)

Yes, from an X's and O's standpoint, it's clear Cam was not put into a position to succeed this season, but I dunno, I think there was more to it than that.

If the OAD era has revealed anything about K, it's that his greatest successes have come when he has a team with at least one significant contributor who has been through some shit, either in an individual or team-oriented way, and came back from it largely – if not entirely – by the force of their own will. Laettner, Hurley, Battier, the 2010 seniors, Cook – these guys all went through personal or team disappointments during the course of their Duke careers that seemed to make them stronger in subsequent seasons. I think K has been spoiled by this and has allowed himself to become way too reliant on the psychological side of coaching vs. the tactical side.

I don't know how many Duke players in the K era who we consider to have "developed" did so due to the coaches' stewardship of their careers. To my eyes, it seems like many of our greats, or at least some of our favorites, got better because they found it within themselves to successfully fight back from defeats or failings, thereby actually putting them into the strong mental condition that K seems to blindly expect all players to have. One of K's major flaws, in my view, is an inability to deal with talented players who don't have the internal motivation K demands. Cam is a perfect example.

A freshman like Cam clearly needed some sort of external nurturing that I'm not sure a coach like K has ever provided. Twenty-five years ago, maybe Cam would be a guy who toughs it out and over the course of a couple of seasons grows into the sort of guy K can look at in a huddle and say "just be yourself" or "you is enough" or whatever, thereby being K's ideal player. But this year, he just seemed lost, and K just isn't the sort of coach anymore (if he ever really was) to drag him out of it in the moment.

You guys realize he played hurt and sat out a S16 game because he wanted something more? That mysterious illness against Syracuse and the winning shot against FSU are what I will always remember

First Take on ESPN going off on Cam today.

Talking about how he will get abused in the NBA and will be a D-Leaguer.

Too bad he won't stay another year.

After seeing Cam interviews all year, I have no problem with the way he played. He just does not have the personality of a Zion, and that is perfectly fine. Everybody develops on different curves in life and it wouldn't shock me to see him have a long NBA career. He is just so young and seems like a good kid- and he chose our favorite school. It would feel really gross to trash him for not doing as well as we had hoped/thought he would.

He really just needs to focus on tightening up his 3 point shot and defense, which is his going to be his specialty on the NBA. He does not have the athleticism to be T-Mac or Penny or whatever other crazy comp people like his coach at Westtown were throwing around, and that's fine- not many do. Slater warned us about the coaching at Westtown, and he was absolutely correct, per usual. I'm now a firm believer in sending kids to places like Montverde or Oak Hill or Prolific Prep if they're going to be OAD.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom