Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Cassius Stanley

This last cycle has been really bad, which is what is most relevant to projecting forward, given the universally-accepted decline in cognitive abilities of our coach. Goldwire has been a very nice success story, and Bolden made some strides, although I don't think he's exactly someone you point to as a shining example of maximizing potential. Then you've got White, DeLaurier, and O'Connell as pure disasters from a development perspective these last several years. Overall, that's a pretty bad track record for the most recent guys who have spent more than one offseason with the program.

Tre Jones... is a weird case. The one thing he clearly improved was his 3PT shot. How much credit do you give the coaches for that? I'm more inclined to assume that was more due to Tre just getting a shit ton of shots up all summer than any coaching wizardry, especially given the recent results there. AOC, Kennard, Matt Jones, Jack White, Javin, Hairston, etc. All of those guys had pretty disappointing "shooting careers" relative to expectations. Not disastrous, but Tre is definitely an outlier.

Other than that, I'm not sure he was clearly better at much else. His usage went up from 16 to 25 or whatever, so he did more stuff. That's kind of about it though. His ORtg actually went down slightly - which isn't shocking due to the increased usage, but you'd think such a boost in 3PT% might offset that. He got to the line a lot more, which is good, but his 3PT rate actually went down (and his "long two rate" seemed to way up). I'm not sure that the net of all that is supportive of great development. This is a guy who had arguably the best offensive AAU season of his class heading into his senior year, after all.

You're not wrong about O'Connell and the last couple of years of White/DeLaurier (both made good strides from year 1 to year 2, and maybe into year 3 a bit).

On the other hand, though, I think MP3 and Goldwire are two of the best examples of freshman-junior/senior improvement* in K's whole tenure, and that's all been in the last six years or so.

* Maybe Ryan Kelly on paper, but Kelly showed a lot of skill in high school, unlike MP3 and Goldwire.

K is certainly a terrible man overall, but it's not fair to criticize the falloff in his player development without emphasizing that the guys he actually has multiple years to develop these days have severely limited ceilings. He's working with some pure garbage relative to all the 3-year and 4-year players he had until about 5 years ago. Whether relying so heavily on OADs is a good strategic approach or not is a whole different rabbit hole to go down for the next few months of COVID-19 isolation.

Oh man, I forgot about FUCKING JORB. He basically negates my whole argument and proves Stanley should come back.

I'll forever be salty that we never got to see him finish out his season. Feels like some cosmic blueballs.

Wrote an incredibly mature farewell letter and made the absolute right decision. Lots of Duke fans being assholes about this. Check the comments under Dukembb’s Instagram post.

The ones under the Duke twitter post are very supportive for the most part.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom