Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Cassius Stanley

Yea, I mean Cassius 100% made the right decision. However, I do think had he decided to come back he could have boosted his draft status to potentially lottery - he would have crushed it.

Also, yea Frank Jackson leaving really pissed me off, but pretty similar situation. He was guaranteed a contract I'm pretty sure so can't blame him. But yes - Duval was awful for that team with Bagley and Carter. If we have any other PG from that class we win the championship that year(Sexton, Jaylen Hands, Trae Young (who i think we were after at 1 point), Quade Green,Waters, Matt Coleman etc).

PS, Carter's feet were set.

It's sad to see some of our fan base act so entitled. We deserve nothing. Cassius pretty much exceeded my expectations this year, anyway. Proud to say he played for Duke.

He can come back any time and earn his degree.

I think a lot of the backlash is based on envy, too. He's going to go earn that sweet, sweet cheddar while banging Instagram models across the country. The average college student isn't afforded this avenue.

There's also probably still a subterranean racial component, especially among the older cohort.

Yea, I mean Cassius 100% made the right decision. However, I do think had he decided to come back he could have boosted his draft status to potentially lottery - he would have crushed it.

Also, yea Frank Jackson leaving really pissed me off, but pretty similar situation. He was guaranteed a contract I'm pretty sure so can't blame him. But yes - Duval was awful for that team with Bagley and Carter. If we have any other PG from that class we win the championship that year(Sexton, Jaylen Hands, Trae Young (who i think we were after at 1 point), Quade Green,Waters, Matt Coleman etc).

PS, Carter's feet were set.

Next year's draft may be deeper. Strike while iron is hot

Not surprised to see him leave. Such is the current state of Duke basketball.

I’m not excusing any idiot Duke fans when I say this, but I think the reactions to guys leaving early are usually based on preseason expectations. I mean, it’s good and bad for your program when guys who are not top-25 recruits play well enough to leave after just a year or two. But after so many years of this, Duke fans shouldn’t be too surprised by any of Duke’s players leaving if they play well. Duke is a OAD program. A lot of players come here expecting to be in the NBA as quickly as possible.

Sucks for Duke fans, but oh well. Better find a different team to cheer for if you want to cheer on all upperclassmen.

The thing I can't stand is when people blame the kid by saying "he needed another year to develop." This is basically never the case. Coach K had 4 years with Javin and couldn't manage to teach him that fouling is bad. Just admit you want guys to stay in school for your own self-interest as a Duke fan.

The thing I can't stand is when people blame the kid by saying "he needed another year to develop." This is basically never the case. Coach K had 4 years with Javin and couldn't manage to teach him that fouling is bad. Just admit you want guys to stay in school for your own self-interest as a Duke fan.

but players do develop well at Duke. No one has a 100% success rate in player development and it’s a result of various reasons. I’m not arguing Stanley should have returned next year, but there are examples from this past season that have really improved as players at Duke, and then other players who developed into key players or stars in prior years. There’s a good chance that had he returned he would’ve developed well and improved his overall game. At every program there are guys who develop and those that don’t. Some guys just never develop. Some programs also do a better job overall in player development than other programs do, but that’s usually a result of recruiting to a system and having continuity in that system. We obviously don’t do that anymore and instead elect to just recruit the best available talent every year.

Especially given his age and the COVID shit. The only OAD that ever really pissed me off was Frank Jackson since he was a 2nd round pick and would’ve been way better for us than Duval.

Other than acknowledging that it would have been great for us if he'd returned, I still don't get the bad feelings over Frank Jackson/people not rooting for him now/etc. I thought he was fun as hell to watch for his year here. Also never got the sense he was a bad teammate or anything. If he felt is made sense for him to stop going to school and start being a pro despite not being guaranteed to go in the first round, good for him. Doesn't seem all that surprising for a top 15 recruit who could jump out of the gym and averaged double digits on a 119 ORTG and ~40% 3PT shooting as a freshman.

I also wouldn't be shocked if K was a little more encouraging of his exit that he might otherwise have been due to knowing it would mean he'd get a top 5 pick true PG to complete his superteam. Not that he would have pushed him out or anything, but I imagine he thought Duval would be a hell of a lot better than he ended up.

I suppose it could just be because DTF prefers their lesbians to be lipstick rather than butch, though. Can't really argue with that.

Especially given his age and the COVID shit. The only OAD that ever really pissed me off was Frank Jackson since he was a 2nd round pick and would’ve been way better for us than Duval.

Other than acknowledging that it would have been great for us if he'd returned, I still don't get the bad feelings over Frank Jackson/people not rooting for him now/etc. I thought he was fun as hell to watch for his year here. Also never got the sense he was a bad teammate or anything. If he felt is made sense for him to stop going to school and start being a pro despite not being guaranteed to go in the first round, good for him. Doesn't seem all that surprising for a top 15 recruit who could jump out of the gym and averaged double digits on a 119 ORTG and ~40% 3PT shooting as a freshman.

I also wouldn't be shocked if K was a little more encouraging of his exit that he might otherwise have been due to knowing it would mean he'd get a top 5 pick true PG to complete his superteam. Not that he would have pushed him out or anything, but I imagine he thought Duval would be a hell of a lot better than he ended up.

I suppose it could just be because DTF prefers their lesbians to be lipstick rather than butch, though. Can't really argue with that.
This is all fair and I am perfectly willing to admit that my reasons for wanting Frank to return were purely selfish. I also am probably guilty of under appreciating his contributions since I spent a lot of that depressing season checked out.

Trevon Duval didn't commit to Duke until after Frank Jackson announced he was leaving to the NBA.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom