Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2012-2013 Thread

Why did that dude just yell "Kalamazoo!"??

Doug Anderson's, too.

Incidentally, Zack, I've come to discover that two good friends from ages ago back home in Malaysia are both now living in Kalamazoo with their families. One of them's apparently a diving instructor at WMU. Small world.

I should really pay more attention to local sports.

Carrick Felix! I remember him. Remind me again, why did he transfer from Duke? Homesick? Sick relative?

physicsfactor said:
Carrick Felix! I remember him. Remind me again, why did he transfer from Duke? Homesick? Sick relative?

If I recall correctly, either he messed up in a class, or duke messed up on his transcripts, and he needed to go back to his community college and take a math class, but didnt. i also seem to remember talk of him struggling in pickup games and being homesick. not sure if any or all of those were the real reasons, but those were the rumors.

he ended up being a very good evaluation by nate, and a pretty big miss on the court. he might've won us 3-5 more games the last couple years, imo.

the boogeyman said:
physicsfactor said:

If I recall correctly, either he messed up in a class, or duke messed up on his transcripts, and he needed to go back to his community college and take a math class, but didnt. i also seem to remember talk of him struggling in pickup games and being homesick. not sure if any or all of those were the real reasons, but those were the rumors.

he ended up being a very good evaluation by nate, and a pretty big miss on the court. he might've won us 3-5 more games the last couple years, imo.

That was a joke at TDDs expense

Good job B1G, you got yourselves a steaming mess of an athletic department with apparently no control over itself. And now Rutgers too.

Technically 2013-14, but I'll put it here.

USATODAYhss.com @USATODAYhss 14m

Julius Randle tells @tarheel_01 that Kentucky will beat UNC by 80 when the teams meet on Dec. 14.

Seriously, though, I didn't realize they were playing next year. That has the potential to be an epic blowout, depending on who returns for UNC (and who lands Wiggins).

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
The Rutgers AD and one of the assistant coaches are out as well.

Rutgers athletic director resigns
Rutgers University Athletic Director Tim Pernetti has resigned in the wake of a player abuse scandal that prompted the school to fire its men's basketball coach earlier this week.

In a resignation letter to the school's president released Friday, Pernetti said that his "continued tenure as athletic director is no longer sustainable for the university."

Pernetti had come under fire for not initially taking more serious disciplinary action against coach Mike Rice, who was fired Friday after ESPN aired a video that showed him shoving and berating players.

In his letter, Pernetti wrote that his "first instincts" after seeing the video last year, months before ESPN aired it, "was to fire him (Rice) immediately."

"However, Rutgers decided to follow a process involving university lawyers, human resources professionals, and outside counsel," Pernetti wrote. "Following review of the independent investigative report, the consensus was that university policy would not justify dismissal.

"I have admitted my role in, and regret for, that decision, and wish that I had the opportunity to go back and override it for the sake of everyone involved."

The video initially had earned Rice a three-game suspension, a $75,000 fine and a ticket to anger management classes.

Rutgers basketball assistant resigns after video surfaces
Rutgers men's assistant basketball coach Jimmy Martelli resigned the same day his boss was fired after ESPN broadcast a lengthy video of players being physically and verbally abused, the university told CNN on Thursday.

Rutgers gave no reason for Martelli's resignation Wednesday.

The outcry over the treatment of the players arose after ESPN on Tuesday showed footage of head coach Mike Rice shoving and berating players.

ESPN reported Thursday that Martelli also was involved, in a handful of instances where he shoved players and at least one instance where he called a player "a f**king fa**ot."

This is what you call accountability. It's just a shame it took this long, and it really didn't have to result in so many people losing their jobs, careers and reputations destroyed, and a school's name dragged through the mud like this.

After Penn State and now this, it would take a special level of obliviousness for any AD or school President to not take swift action if any coaches are found to have abused students. It may not have been sexual abuse, but it was still abuse.

Oh, and Rutgers under Rice sucked, so it was also quite obviously not an effective method as well.

I can only hope that my initial fear after the Sandusky case that it was merely the tip of the iceberg regarding coach abuse of children and youth will not become more of the reality.

So, he was obviously a nut case and out of line, but... I really wish people would stop mentioning this in the same breath as Sandusky.

And really, I wish they'd stop mentioning stuff like "calling players 'fucking idiot'" and "shoving players" as evidence of appalling behavior that demands immediate firing. It's one thing if he's clearly in excess, blindsiding them from behind, etc. (like he was), but some of the stuff being referenced is just going to be stuff that sometimes happens in the heat of the moment in high level athletics.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom