Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2012-2013 Thread

Not sure if the kid is just indecisive or what but this never made sense to me. He'd be a starter next year for a middle of the pack (no pun intended) team. Now, he'll be a starter for a middle of the pack team after sitting out a year AND he'll be living in Connecticut.

Seems illogical.

Topher said:
Not sure if the kid is just indecisive or what but this never made sense to me. He'd be a starter next year for a middle of the pack (no pun intended) team. Now, he'll be a starter for a middle of the pack team after sitting out a year AND he'll be living in Connecticut.

Seems illogical.

Behind-the-scenes issues with either teammates, incoming recruits, or coach?

Pantone287 said:
So, he was obviously a nut case and out of line, but... I really wish people would stop mentioning this in the same breath as Sandusky.
Abuse is abuse, whether it's throwing balls at kids or fondling kids' balls.

That's like saying that pinching someone's nipple is the same as waterboarding them.

I just can't ever see how throwing balls at your players would ever be an effective form of discipline in this day n' age.

People just don't take that kind of behavior seriously in anything other than a fraternity basement.

You all know that there is an element of trust involved in the relationship between a coach and the players. Once a coach deems to violate that for whatever reason, then the bottom line is that it's been violated, and that coach has no place being in that position any longer, so yes, drawing parallels is absolutely appropriate.

I work among teenagers and college students for a living, and have to remain acutely aware of that line. I know I seem hypersensitive to the issue, but having known and heard of entirely too many who have stepped over it by leaps and bounds and who make it ever-difficult for the rest of us who are actually trying to make a difference, maybe you can understand why I feel the way I do. I've got no sympathy for Rice, Sandusky, and any other coach like that, and like I said - I don't care if they're throwing balls or fondling them. How they're doing it is less important than the fact that they're doing it to begin with.

I would fundamentally disagree that there is a clear "line" over which all behavior falls into a similar moral space. Really, I think it's borderline offensive to diminish sexual assault of minors like that.

Plenty of great coaches have been "verbally abusive" to the point of unleashing profanity-laced tirades upon players, including Coach K. Same goes for coaches who "lay hands on" their players to some extent - e.g. pushing/smacking in the chest them during a timeout (again, see: K). What makes this situation different is degree - he crosses the very murky line from "intense coaching" to "abusive" in his physical actions, and uses hate speech - but also... effectiveness, really.

I mean, if Coach K laces into the team for playing like "pussies" and punch-pushes Mason in the chest the get him pumped up during halftime of the Maryland game, then we come out and win the second half by thirty, we don't refer to those actions as appalling, automatically firable instance of abuse, we call it a brilliant halftime speech.

That's what is kind of makes this whole situation hard for me to process - it's not so much that what he did was categorically wrong, as much as he just did it too hard and clearly had no idea how to use those extreme sorts of "motivational tools" with the necessary skill and discretion... sort of like how a knife in the stomach is either attempted murder or a billable service, depending on whether you're a surgeon or a mugger. I think.

Pantone287 said:
I would fundamentally disagree that there is a clear "line" over which all behavior falls into a similar moral space. Really, I think it's borderline offensive to diminish sexual assault of minors like that.
Then the mistake would be to read lumping Rice's actions in the same category as diminishing Sandusky's actions, when the intent is the complete opposite, which is to be consistent and take Rice's actions with the same seriousness. I've seen some defend Rice's actions by saying that these were college adults. Well, they may have been older, but in many cases, they were also generally dependent on the school for the ability to play and attend college.

Again, it's not so much the type of abuse here. The general abuse of power by the coach is (should be, anyway) the primary concern, regardless of how it manifested itself.

Plenty of great coaches have been "verbally abusive" to the point of unleashing profanity-laced tirades upon players, including Coach K. Same goes for coaches who "lay hands on" their players to some extent - e.g. pushing/smacking in the chest them during a timeout (again, see: K). What makes this situation different is degree - he crosses the very murky line from "intense coaching" to "abusive" in his physical actions, and uses hate speech - but also... effectiveness, really.

I mean, if Coach K laces into the team for playing like "pussies" and punch-pushes Mason in the chest the get him pumped up during halftime of the Maryland game, then we come out and win the second half by thirty, we don't refer to those actions as appalling, automatically firable instance of abuse, we call it a brilliant halftime speech.

That's what is kind of makes this whole situation hard for me to process - it's not so much that what he did was categorically wrong, as much as he just did it too hard and clearly had no idea how to use those extreme sorts of "motivational tools" with the necessary skill and discretion... sort of like how a knife in the stomach is either attempted murder or a billable service, depending on whether you're a surgeon or a mugger. I think.
The difference here is that while yes, some coaches have resorted to that, they don't do it on a regular basis. The footage of Rice's actions seemed to show a pattern of behavior rather than isolated incidents, to the point that an assistant felt empowered to do the same.

Sexual abuse is different. It just is. Especially with the difference in ages we're talking about here.

Also, "A knife in the stomach is either attempted murder or a billable service, depending on whether you're a surgeon or a mugger" is an awesome saying. You didn't make this up, did you?

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
The ousted Rutgers AD will be rewarded for turning a blind eye to abuse of players, with $1.2 million, an iPad, car allowance and more than two years of health insurance coverage.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-colleg ... g-12m-ipad

When you're getting 1.2 mil, I feel like throwing in an iPad is just dumb.

"Here's lots and lots of money BUT WAIT THERES MORE! A freeeeeeee iPad!!!"

"I could buy like 5000 of those things though."

"But this one is FREE!"

"Ok, thanks I guess."

This should go under a CBB 2013-2014 thread but since there isn't one up, I'll post it here.

IMO, Ohio S will be similar to Duke next year in make-up - so lots of length because it will be a forward heavy team.

PG: senior Aaron Craft / junior Shannon Scott
SG: senior Lenzelle Smith Jr. / freshman Kameron Williams
SF: junior Laquinton Ross / junior Sam Thompson / freshman Marc Loving
PF:
C: junior Amir Williams

I expect one of the SFs to be moved to PF.

I would lead the charge against the destruction of all things Maryland. i hate their fans like I hate State fans and most you know that is quite a bit. However, this is pretty cool and had I need seen it I would have never thought the Maryland student base could put it together. I like when large groups of people coordinate and do things like this. It was during the Duke game so once it gets to the part "Oh and one more thing" I recommend stopping it. Also, I HATE the harlem shake but give it a pass here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom