Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2024-2025

What do you all think the end game for NIL budgets and offers? I don’t know how much profit Duke brings in but surely they can afford an overall team salary in the double digit millions no?

Would be one of the dumbest draft decisions of all time. There’s a decent chance he doesn’t even get drafted if he stays.

The more I think about this, the more insane it gets.

A top 10 pick makes between $4.5 and $10 million a year. I can't imagine his NIL would be more than $2 million. And that's just for one year, versus the guaranteed years on a rookie contract.

I don't think his family is that rich either. His dad played 18 games in the NBA and made $675,000. That was over 20 years ago. He played very briefly oversees. He has since served as the Vice President of Business Development for Wazoo Sports, which covers local minor league and college games in Kentucky. I'm sure the salary was decent, but we're not talking seven figures.

Sheppard would be returning to a team without much talent. His usage would probably have to skyrocket, leading to a drop in the ridiculous efficiency he posted this season. He would also be going up against a stronger draft class. And for what? To play on a team with a much worse shot of winning a title?

On another note, I just looked up Sheppard's stats. His usage was 18%? WTF, Cal. That's an atrocity. It's like he was actively trying to get fired or something.

It’s hard to overstate how good Cal was from 2010-2015, despite not winning a second title, and how bad he was the last 4 years.

I actually think you have to go back a few years to Memphis to really capture how good of a run he went on.

05-06: Elite Eight
06-07: Elite Eight
07-08: Runner Up
08-09: S16
goes to Kentucky
09-10: Elite Eight
10-11: Final Four
11-12: National Champs
12-13: NIT
13-14: Runners Up
14-15: Final Four (38-1)

In hindsight, the 14-15 Final Four was legacy altering. Calipari was very close to going 40-0 and winning his 2nd National Championship. Instead Coach K won his 5th, cementing himself as the best coach in the modern era. If Calipari wins it that year, there wouldn't be as much distance between K and everyone else. Roy finished with 3. Calhoun with 3. Calipari would've had 2 and is still coaching. Self has 2 and is still coaching.

It’s hard to overstate how good Cal was from 2010-2015, despite not winning a second title, and how bad he was the last 4 years.

I actually think you have to go back a few years to Memphis to really capture how good of a run he went on.

05-06: Elite Eight
06-07: Elite Eight
07-08: Runner Up
08-09: S16
goes to Kentucky
09-10: Elite Eight
10-11: Final Four
11-12: National Champs
12-13: NIT
13-14: Runners Up
14-15: Final Four (38-1)

In hindsight, the 14-15 Final Four was legacy altering. Calipari was very close to going 40-0 and winning his 2nd National Championship. Instead Coach K won his 5th, cementing himself as the best coach in the modern era. If Calipari wins it that year, there wouldn't be as much distance between K and everyone else. Roy finished with 3. Calhoun with 3. Calipari would've had 2 and is still coaching. Self has 2 and is still coaching.

Eight Elite 8s and five Final Fours in 10 years was an incredible run for Cal. He definitely should’ve grabbed another ring in that span. You could even extend the timeline to 2019, for ten Elite 8s in 14 years, though he obviously wasn’t quite as good after 2015.

2010 established that Duke was “back” among the elite of CBB, and 2015 solidified K as the modern era GOAT and our program as a top destination for OAD talent. Both were massive. A 40-0 Kentucky would’ve likely been regarded as the best team of all time, and it’s quite possible Cal stays elite for longer. Who knows, maybe K gets #5 sometime between 2016-2022 if he doesn’t win in 2015, butterfly effect and all.

If we win #6 with Scheyer in the 2020s or early 30s, it’ll have a cool narrative, too. It would prove beyond any doubt that we’re not a one coach program and Jon’s the guy for the long haul. It would mean a lot to me, especially as it’s been a longer wait than I was expecting after we got #5 and our recruiting stayed so elite.

Last edited:
Another great run was Roy between 2002 and 2017, as annoying as that is to say. Seven Final Fours, ten Elite 8s, and three titles in 16 seasons. He was much better at converting his FFs to titles than Cal.

Another great run was Roy between 2002 and 2017, as annoying as that is to say. Seven Final Fours, ten Elite 8s, and three titles in 16 seasons. He was much better at converting his FFs to titles than Cal.

Roy was the best coach in the country overall during from the time he arrived at UNC to retiring- just looking at the entire body of work. If you go back those two years previous to his two Final Fours at Kansas, it becomes even more obvious.

Roy was the best coach in the country overall during from the time he arrived at UNC to retiring- just looking at the entire body of work. If you go back those two years previous to his two Final Fours at Kansas, it becomes even more obvious.

I agree, though Roy did have a pretty significant decline his last 4 years. 2018 and 2019 were both bombed out of the tournament despite good regular seasons, 2020 was a fucking disaster, and 2021 extremely mediocre. K was far more of a title threat in his final 4 seasons than Roy, despite not being close to his peak, either. And he was 5 years older when he retired.

K was the clear best coach from 1986-2004, Roy from 2005-2017, 2018-2022 it was probably Wright and Self, and the last two seasons it’s been Hurley, obviously.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom