Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Derryck Thornton

Based on that one quote, the lesson his dad took from his son struggling with being told no is that he needs to be pampered even more. Isn't this the exact opposite conclusion people usually draw?

My best hope for Derryck is that he can somehow overcome this terrible, delusional parenting by not winding up a homeless heroin addict.

If you have kids and you love them, always tell them "No" when "No" is the correct choice. It will make their adult lives much less disappointing.

This dude's dad has to rank among the all-time worst player parents.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.co...uWUuN2HCk9qFTORT9i5jTtXdg9ntt_2RB3wnssSEemJFs

I was rolling along okay with this article until I reached
Six of them have at least played in the NBA: Amile Jefferson, Brandon Ingram, Marshall Plumlee, Grayson Allen and Luke Dennard.

ONE letter, ruined the whole thing for me.
They also only listed 5 people.

I'm so glad I missed this game so I didn't have to watch him play.

To be honest, I felt kind of bad for him. I read an article in The Athletic about him a few months back, and his responses were super classy and didn't put any blame on anyone but himself. His dad is a piece of shit. It's weird how these athletes are frequently more mature than their parents.

His transfer was so dumb and I felt so bad for him. I was upset at the time but that was directed at his weird trainer uncle and his dad.

I get it, they wanted him to score more and be used differently. But he averaged 26mpg as a freshman at a program fresh off of a National Championship and playing under a legendary coach. I don't know maybe I'm too basic but what is the issue there? He would've been the starting point guard on the 2017 team that desperately needed one. Maybe DT wouldn't have developed and it wouldn't have mattered, but I think Duke coaches do a pretty a good job developing players, especially the guards. I don't know if his offensive game would've developed so much that he turned into a NBA player, but I guarantee his potential of playing in the NBA would've remained higher by staying at Duke and being the starting point guard on the 2017 and 2018 teams loaded with NBA talent and also being backed by the Duke/Coach K brand.

I get transfers like Ojeleye and Silent G. I never understood the Thornton one and never will. I understand why it happened, but I can't get behind the thought process, it doesn't make any sense to me.

I just have issues with stuff like that. It always seemed like he wanted to stay too. Disappointing.

I know it's hard to be 18-19 and stand up to your parents/family (or any adult figure really), but if you are on a basketball scholarship at Duke, what leverage does your dad or "uncle" have?

If DT really wanted to stay, he would've stayed.

I know it's hard to be 18-19 and stand up to your parents/family (or any adult figure really), but if you are on a basketball scholarship at Duke, what leverage does your dad or "uncle" have?

If DT really wanted to stay, he would've stayed.

While in theory I agree, a lot of kids are afraid of their parents, especially those who don't realize it and have been raised by controlling/possessive parents their entire life. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's certainly possible.

It's not about whether Thornton wanted to transfer. He probably did. It's about the shit his dad and trainer said afterwards. Thornton, actually having been on the floor and likely having friends in the program, isn't making the same bullshit excuses his dad is.

DT:

“I feel like I’m so far from the situation now since I’ve been gone so long,” he says. “There were many reasons why it didn’t fit for me. It’s such a great program. Duke speaks for itself, but sometimes the shoe doesn’t fit for everyone.”

Contrast that with this:

Tank says he felt the coaching staff played mind games by alternating Derryck between coming off the bench and starting. “He didn’t know how to take it and I didn’t either because he just wasn’t used to stuff like that,” Tank says. “The first time I ever saw him not be confident was at Duke.”

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom