Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Derryck Thornton

I believe he shoots about 67% from the line. So not a liability, but not exactly a strength for how often he seems to get fouled.

What's a better judge of skill? The eye test or the IT factor?

deepdarkblue said:
Damn, his free throw shooting was ass in those two games.

All his shooting in all games is ass.

But you can the potential to be flat-out amazing. I'm just worried that Coach K doesn't have the patience for another Hurley. This dude has got to suck for a while before he dominates.

I feel like this video encapsulates everything that is good and bad about his game. Elite speed, great handle, tenacious defense. Recklessness, questionable shooting, poor finishing. Great court vision.

Reports from the open practice was excellent finishing around the rim, and questionable shooting. Pretty solid D, apparently.

Luke and Grayson were also taking a lot of midranges in drills and the scrimmage. Between this year and next, we're going to have some anti-Rockets shot charts.

Can we crowdsource a freshman season projection for Thornton?

Here is Rajon Rondo as a freshman (with the death of Statsheet.com, stats for older players are going to be limited until something better comes out):

51% fg
30% 3pt
58% ft
17% 3pt rate
52% ft rate
25 minutes/game
3.5 assists/game
5.5 assists/40 minutes
2.6 steals/game
4.1 steals/40 minutes
2.0 turnovers/game
3.2 turnovers/40 minutes
1.7 assists/turnover

Given what we know of Thornton, I'd be pretty happy with Rondo freshman stats out of him. Ideally, our point guard will shoot lots of 3s and shoot them well, but if lack of range is the only major drawback we have to live with in the short run with Thornton, we can contend with him on the court for 15-25 minutes. Hopefully he is not a 58% ft shooter. Surround him with shooters when he is on the court and try to maximize his defensive value by putting him out there when up against quick guys who would otherwise kill Duke, and I think Duke will be fine.

I think his FT shooting will be better than that but that his overall FG percentage will be worse. Hard to shoot that well from the field as a guard these days without being able to hit threes.

I'd accept poor shooting if he is able to take care of the ball. Sounds like turnovers are expected to be a problem.

People on TDD gave nice reports on his defence, which is encouraging.

As of now, Thornton is as eye-testy as it gets. On paper, offensively, he has been the worst Duke regular in recent memory and I'm not sure there should be a time qualifier on that.

He sure looks like the guy to ultimately raise Duke's ceiling this season, but his small sample size numbers are beyond the usual hyperbole:

82 offensive rating
17% usage
29% eFG
32% TS
17% assist rate
25% turnover rate
8.3% FT rate

I think his numbers are going to look a lot better in about 5 more games, but if you're watching him and thinking he's serviceable offensively, you're basing it purely on some vague sense of quickness/athleticism, along with some optimistic precognition based on potential.

There needs to be a stat for "number of times a player falls down for no apparent reason"

Sulaimon Rate should not be confused with Sulaimon Rape.

Too soon? Not soon enough?

rome8180 said:
Sulaimon Rate should not be confused with Sulaimon Rape.

Too soon? Not soon enough?
or juuuuuussssssttttttt right <creepy emoticon smile face>

Because DT joined the team late, I'll give him some extra time to play shittily before I start judging him too harshly (damn, he's quick!). But if he doesn't have his game under control by the 1st UNC game....

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
As of now, Thornton is as eye-testy as it gets. On paper, offensively, he has been the worst Duke regular in recent memory and I'm not sure there should be a time qualifier on that.

He sure looks like the guy to ultimately raise Duke's ceiling this season, but his small sample size numbers are beyond the usual hyperbole:

82 offensive rating
17% usage
29% eFG
32% TS
17% assist rate
25% turnover rate
8.3% FT rate

I think his numbers are going to look a lot better in about 5 more games, but if you're watching him and thinking he's serviceable offensively, you're basing it purely on some vague sense of quickness/athleticism, along with some optimistic precognition based on potential.

I totally see your point here, but I think to truly be the most eye-testy guy ever, it'd have to be the case that the team does worse with him out on the floor than without him, too. I don't think anyone thinks he's looked great individually yet this year, but maybe that our team plays better (defensively? maybe offensively?) when he's on the floor.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom