Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

Anyone with two eyes could tell that the best players this year nationally have been Towns, Wright, Kaminsky, WCS, Anderson, Russell, Plumlee, Tuttle, Gill.

Bottom 25 NBA BPM among players with 750+ minutes:

1. Lance Thomas
2. Zach LaVine
3. Anthony Bennett
4. Enes Kanter
5. Gary Neal
6. Chris Copeland
7. Tim Hardaway
8. Kendrick Perkins
9. Dante Exum
10. Dion Waiters
11. Jason Smith
12. Henry Sims
13. Austin Rivers
14. Luc Mbah a Moute
15. Norris Cole
16. Tony Parker
17. Nick Young
18. Matthew Dellavedova
19. Mo Williams
20. Shabazz Napier
21. Quincy Acy
22. Kirk Hinrich
23. Andrew Wiggins
24. Hollis Thompson
25. Marreese Speights

Not sure the "should we count Kanter as a Kentucky product?" debate is even worth having. The winner doesn't win.

The Cavs have managed to shed 3 of the worst 25 players in the NBA this season - Bennett, Waiters and Wiggins. God, they also have another one in Dellavedova. Can't blame Blatt or the GM for the start they had. Working from ground zero.

Of the top 50 players in BPM this year with a minimum of 200 total minutes played, Marshall (214 minutes) is the only one who has played fewer than 400 minutes. Which makes sense, because generally when you are a highly valuable college basketball player, the coach puts you in the game.

Okay one more post before I lose my mind over this. Going back to 2010-11, which is as far back as B-R goes, there are just 21 seasons in which a guy had a BPM over 10 and between 100-500 minutes played the entire season. Most of those are guys this year who are eventually going to break 500. Also on the list: Kyrie Irving 2011 :( and Jerian Grant and Mitch McGary last season.

There's only 2 other guys who are on the list because they were behind someone: Jeff Withey 2011 (behind the Morris twins and Robinson) and Kaminsky in 2013 (behind some imaginary big man that Bo Ryan must have thought he had).

Jared Bergerren. that's who Bo Ryan decided was worthy of three times more minutes than Kaminsky.

NBA number on this is much more trustworthy than the CBB numbers because the all the players are facing equal levels of competition.

There is more noise in the CBB data because of the disparity in the levels of competition.

Still, based on this and the eye test Marshall deserves at least a chance to prove himself.

A lot of people have highlighted K's need to play Okafor over Plumlee for recruiting perception/purposes. Fuck that. We have a chance to win a national title this season, and I'm sick of feeling like we have to pander to recruits to prove that Duke is cool or whatever. This isn't 2009. Duke is cool again and guys like Marshall are what make college basketball unique and great. Really just a completely indefensible failure by K to not play him more.

I just assume Jah dominates him in practice.

K's practice eye test > actual game statistics.

So back to the expected performance vs spread vs the quality of opponent post:

Are there any teams left that we should be concerned about as being shitty enough for Duke to suck against but just good enough to beat a sucky Duke team? Maybe Syracuse?

physicsfactor said:
So back to the expected performance vs spread vs the quality of opponent post:

Are there any teams left that we should be concerned about as being shitty enough for Duke to suck against but just good enough to beat a sucky Duke team? Maybe Syracuse?

I may regret saying this, but I actually think that Syracuse gets a "name on the front of the jersey" boost here. I think our guys will take them seriously because of how good they've been in recent past years (including last year). Virginia Tech I'm more worried about.

From Luke Winn's weekly power rankings:
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... nzaga-duke

duke.gif

Cancer.

(actually too small a sample size to draw any conclusions IMO, but still, cancer)

gonzaga.gif

Cancer.

Who is happy getting 1.0 point per possession, adjusted for strength of schedule? Duke gets 1.2 points per possession as a team, adjusted.

Yeah I think the Sulaimon numbers are silly to extrapolate anything from. I'm actually surprised Winn posted that. Maybe if he posted Jones' splits comparing the minutes he has played without RS to the minutes he's played with RS, that would be valuable.

Jahlil post ups are probably still a net positive because of our ability to get open threes off of double teams. K needs to tell Jah that as soon as the double comes, he needs to look to pass. Only go up with the shot if it's single coverage, as I'm sure his efficiency in those situations is absurdly high.

Two more away games, and one of them is @Vtech

favored by 90% in all our remaining non-unc games.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom