Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

Thanks to Tyus Stones, we've pretty much secured a double by in the ACCT. Would have to lose three out of the remaining five.

I think we can still get a one seed even if we lose 1 more to close the regular season and lose in the ACCT finals. Just need Wiscy to lose at least one of their remaining tough big10 games or the Zags to drop one

Good stuff.

Duke still needs to take care of what is in front of them. Zags schedule is shite (no help expected from them) and Wisconsin is playing well.

If the Devils can someway, somehow win the ACC Tourney, a #1 seed is not up for debate.

We've played better in the last duke-UNC matchup of the year 4 out of the last 5 seasons. For some reason i'm really irrationally confident about the Dean Dome game.

DurhamSon said:
We've played better in the last duke-UNC matchup of the year 4 out of the last 5 seasons. For some reason i'm really irrationally confident about the Dean Dome game.
3 out of the last 5 regular season finales though. Not sure that means much. Hopefully this is like 2013 where the home game was a lousy win before a beatdown on UNC's senior night.

DurhamSon said:
Thanks to Tyus Stones, we've pretty much secured a double by in the ACCT. Would have to lose three out of the remaining five.

We'd have to lose 3 out of the remaining five AND have both Louisville and UNC go undefeated in their next five games (we should have tiebreaker with both based on head-to-head (Louisville) and our win against Virginia (if we tie UNC and split head-to-head).

I'm a little worried about the Dean Dome. I know we're road warriors, and have played well recently at the Dean Dome, but outside of 2013 Roy Williams has done very well on senior night at UNC (if my memory is accurate) and I have a feeling UNC's season could turn around after tonight. You know they will be ready for us again in the Dean Dome.

with all of that said, I believe we will win. Our young team got their first taste of the rivalry and at times may have let their emotions get the better of them in the second half. Having experience the rivalry I don't think it happens again, and typically the road team in this game plays very well.

This game is going to leave a bad taste in UNC's mouth. I am extremely worried about the rematch. Of course a lot depends on if we use the same shitty gameplan or not.

The problem with switching to zone (if that is the preferred adjustment) is that is still leaves the Devils susceptible to offensive boards. Stay with a man-to-man (pack in?) IMO.

It's really weird that we haven't played a "good" game against UNC at home since 2010

2011 - Let UNC have that 14 point lead and needed heroics by Nolan and Seth to win
2012 - Asskicking
2013 - The Hairston-joins-the-starting-lineup game. UNC had a halftime lead, and we scraped by
2014 - Our "best" showing. Had a 15 point lead or something and blew it and was up by very little at halftime, IIRC. Had a 20 point lead or something like that in 2nd, and then collapsed near the end, and almost let Paige make it a two possession game if not for offensive interference.
2015 - No comment

I have no idea what's going on. Obviously we got our asses kicked from '06-'09. 2005 we scraped by on one point cause they couldn't get a shot off. Think Dahntay had to save us in 2004. Basically we've had one good game against UNC in cameron, no matter what they are ranked, since the Doherty years. I guess I can't complain about those wins though.

Dahntay was gone in 04. 04 at Cameron was when McCants lost the ball. Very similar to the end of the 05 game.

I want to see MP3 & Grayson get decent minutes vs. Clemson. Need these 2 more involved in the rotation.

If we want to go deep in the NCAAT it is imperative that MP3 and Grayson are getting increased minutes.

I agree. I know his drives to the basket right now have not been fruitful but I see a kid who is going to be ridiculous good for Duke in a year or two. He has flashes such as his pump fake, side step jumper a game or two ago, his Winslow like block, etc. He just needs to adjust to the speed of the game and mature a little.

I liked even his misses last night. He was fouled in transition, which caused him to miss. And then the driving layup in the halfcourt simply rimmed in and out.

K has his rotation just where he's always wanted it--6 players getting minutes, 2 other players playing 4 minutes a game, and no one else even on the bench.

DurhamSon said:

BPM:

"As outlined in its introduction to Basketball Reference, BPM is an advanced stat intended to measure a player's total contribution as reflected by advanced, context-dependent box-score metrics like USG% and AST%. It was developed for the NBA using regression techniques against a 14-year-long sample of historical Regularized Adjusted Plus-Minus (RAPM) data. BPM estimates the number of points contributed by a player greater or less than an average player, per 100 team possessions."

Eye test is confirmed, not only is Karl Anthony Towns better than Okafor, but Marshall is too:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... der_by=bpm

They haven't added conference-only BPM, but when they do, I'm sure it will show Okafor as the 6th best player on our team

Okafor is down to 31st in this now. There have only been two games since you posted it (when he was 18th).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom