Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

I could not find who originally posted this on D-F, but how amazing is this tweet?

He was a banked 3 away from having a perfect bracket!

Last edited by a moderator:
rome8180 said:
Might have been the same one as on another video. I don't remember.

It is indeed m83. For the UVA video they used "My Tears are Becoming a Sea," by m83.

The song Outro is fitting for so many reasons. I think DBP stands alone in their ability to tell a story with their videos.

Some interesting SportsVU stuff from the Michael Rosenberg article in the championship edition of Sports Illustrated:

-- Duke averaged .99 ppp allowed on ball screen defense in Jan and Feb, but only .81 in March

-- Cook made just 18.9% of his three-pointers off the dribble but 44.6% in catch-and-shoot situations; he saw and understood these numbers and that's why we saw so many catch-and-shoot threes this year

-- Winslow averaged 1.0 points each time he drove in Jan and Feb; in March this jumped to 1.2 points per drive; this roughly coincides with his switch to playing PF full-time

I think the moral of all this is that Coach K and Capel don't hate analytics, even if they claim they do in interviews (Capel called them a "young man's game"). It doesn't matter what they say publicly as long as the info is getting applied somehow. It's also up to smart players like Cook to listen and put it into practice.

rome8180 said:
Some interesting SportsVU stuff from the Michael Rosenberg article in the championship edition of Sports Illustrated:

-- Duke averaged .99 ppp allowed on ball screen defense in Jan and Feb, but only .81 in March

-- Cook made just 18.9% of his three-pointers off the dribble but 44.6% in catch-and-shoot situations; he saw and understood these numbers and that's why we saw so many catch-and-shoot threes this year

-- Winslow averaged 1.0 points each time he drove in Jan and Feb; in March this jumped to 1.2 points per drive; this roughly coincides with his switch to playing PF full-time

I think the moral of all this is that Coach K and Capel don't hate analytics, even if they claim they do in interviews (Capel called them a "young man's game"). It doesn't matter what they say publicly as long as the info is getting applied somehow. It's also up to smart players like Cook to listen and put it into practice.

Even if you are an eye test guy, you can notice that a player's catch and shoot 3's go in and their off the dribble 3's don't. Eye testers will talk about having your "feet set" when you shoot a jumper. I don't think there's any analytic revelation with Cook there.

Completely eliminating long 2's is another story altogether. I think K does sand bag the media with this stuff. What's the point of installing the cameras for SportsVU if you aren't interested in the data. And if you are interested in the data, and you don't use it (or know how to use it) then what's the point of that?

"Analytics" is K's new "best player in practice" bullshit.

I'm just going by what the article claimed about Cook, though of course articles like that tend to construct convenient narratives.

And of course all the other changes could be made on an eye test level too. It was pretty clear without looking at any numbers that Winslow was better at the PF. It was also clear our ball screen defense had to improve. (What's awesome to read is how much it did. It went from average to elite.)

Re: Duke basketball 2015-2016 discussion thread

Re: Duke basketball 2015-2016 discussion thread

GoDuke only has three videos up so far. That one, and then two short ones with the MVP presentation (co-MVPs of Okafor and Cook) and the team captain announcement.

best4heisman said:
I'd give anything to hear Quinn's speech.

Just what you'd expect. Such a likeable kid. Really earnest.

Not that it's any surprise, but I think the biggest reason K enjoyed this year so much was Quinn. I've only been to 3-4 of these things, and never seen anything like the mutual affection shown by K and Quinn as they spoke about each other. I'd guess that K is more proud of Quinn's development than the title. I can't imagine he's ever been closer to one of his kids.

deeyoukayeee said:
best4heisman said:
I'd give anything to hear Quinn's speech.

Just what you'd expect. Such a likeable kid. Really earnest.

Not that it's any surprise, but I think the biggest reason K enjoyed this year so much was Quinn. I've only been to 3-4 of these things, and never seen anything like the mutual affection shown by K and Quinn as they spoke about each other. I'd guess that K is more proud of Quinn's development than the title. I can't imagine he's ever been closer to one of his kids.
Yeah, it was clear that Quinn's personal development & growth took some tremendous strides over the course of his college career. There was a lot of love in K's comments to Quinn about early-Quinn and the leader he became.

I would imagine K was as close to Wojo and Scheyer. I mean, dude cried when Scheyer came off the floor in his senior night game. That's really cool to hear about Quinn though. You could see how much K loved him late in the year.

I think guys like Jon and Wojo - and JD and Shane and Tommy and Bobby, etc. - definitely hold a high place in K's heart. But those guys came in if not fully-formed, close to it. Quinn's journey has been far more of a rollercoaster, and Quinn is in many respects K's 'creation'. They both had to struggle to get Quinn to the mountaintop, and I think K probably takes as much pride in that - especially because Quinn so openly and reverently acknowledges it - as in anything he's done.

Respecting the hell out of someone for being dedicated, hard-working and enthusiastic is one thing, respecting the hell out of someone for becoming dedicated, hard-working and enthusiastic in a large part because of your own effort and guidance is something else.

I'm sure K loves more than a few of his charges as if they were his sons. I think he may actually consider Quinn his son. In his speech Quinn said 'you've been my father', not 'like a father'. K went on and on about how his favorite part of the year was hugging Quinn and holding his hand in huddles.

In 2010, as much as he respected Jon (and Lance and Z), there was not nearly this level of affection. Obviously, having one senior facilitated it, but you could just tell how much they care for each other.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom