Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke basketball 2015-2016 discussion thread

Duke plays against Kentucky in the Champions Classic next November. They (likely) get another road game in the B10 challenge since they had home games in the two years prior to this past season.

Duke is playing in a preseason tournament in MSG featuring Georgetown, Wisconsin and VCU. They also play UNC, State, Wake and L'Ville 2x in conference play.

The experience our guys gained from the Final Four and winning it all is invaluable and will help us a lot next season. We obviously won't be as good, but we can be a top 10 team if things go right. If we get Ingram and Thornton I really think we could be a contender by the end of the season. Ingram isn't one and done but having another wing scorer will help us a lot, and our interior defense/rebounding is going to be one of the best in the nation.

We won't be young next season, either. Matt Jones is a junior, Amile and Marshall will be seniors, Sean Obi will be in his third year of college ball, and Grayson will only be a sophomore, but like the rest of the guys, the experience he gained from this past tournament and just being a part of that journey is such a huge thing.

Around the nation the talent level and quality of team's are going to be down. If our defense is as good as it should be, and Grayson, Matt and someone else can provide a scoring punch, we will be more than fine. Having the huge advantage we have on the sidelines will help a lot. Coach K/Capel has to be one of the best coaching duo in the game right now.

Not ready to call that team top 10, especially with the schedule STPFS laid out. So much depends on Thornton (who will essentially be a high school senior).

If Tyus returns, I'll call them top 5. That's how much of a difference he makes.

We'll have some guys with experience, but none of them are actually good offensive players with the exception of Allen. Jefferson is good within his limited skill set.

rome8180 said:
Not ready to call that team top 10, especially with the schedule STPFS laid out. So much depends on Thornton (who will essentially be a high school senior).

If Tyus returns, I'll call them top 5. That's how much of a difference he makes.

Is that first opinion with Ingram?

Yes. I like Ingram but don't think he's a transcendent talent that would really tip the balance.

And I am a huge Thornton fanboy, but the issue still lies with running a team through a high school senior and having no true PG to back him up.

Jeter has legit size, Kennard too, per the hoop summit measurements:

CCRoal_UAAAJ6vG.jpg

Izzo will get 4 years out of the midget sized Swanigan, who like every MSU player the last ten years plays much "grittier" than his undersized stature would indicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Briscoe's wingspan is nearly a foot longer than his height in shoes. WTF?!?!?

If Ingram really is practically goddamn center sized... jesus.

Not to go all golden raptor, but imagine playing this lineup for a stretch:
Kennard(6'5)/Jones(6'5)/Ingram(6'9.75)/Jeter(6'10)/Plumlee(7'0)

aiw said:

Apparently that, and Ingram's plumee arms are a mistake:

Jeter's weight (almost 240) is much better that I thought. We people not expecting him to be around 220?

Kennard wears shoes with a 1/4" sole on them?

DurhamSon said:
aiw said:

Apparently that, and Ingram's plumee arms are a mistake:

That's more like it. The previous one was just unbelievable.

Sounds like there could be a ton of midrange jumpers at Duke next season.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/201 ... Three-4891

The US Team also got a nice contribution from long, lanky wing Brandon Ingram. The 17-year-old, who measured 6' 9.5” in shoes with a 7' 3” wingspan on Friday, showed off his offensive versatility and soft touch from the perimeter by knocking down a few jumpers from mid-range spots, tipping in his own miss in the lane, and flashing to a soft spot in the opponent's zone and earning a trip to the line. Ingram has very good scoring instincts and a world of potential given his soft touch, size, length and fluidity.

The USA bigs also did some nice things on the offensive end, as Caleb Swanigan and Jeter both knocked down mid-range jumpers and had a pair of nice finishes around the rim

Kennard did well in the first scrimmage.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/201 ... y-Two-4885

Duke-bound Luke Kennard also did some nice things offensively for the US Team after a strong showing in 5-on-5 play during the team's early afternoon scrimmages. The 6' 5” smooth lefty wasn't completely automatic from the perimeter, but drilled a handful of spot up triples with a hand in his face, sporting a smooth compact release to go along with his excellent basketball instincts.

Kennard proved he still has room to improve his ability to pull up off the bounce or get to the rim in a straight line, but the Franklin, Ohio native does a lot of really impressive little things that, combined with his shooting stroke, should make him a very productive player for Duke next season.

Kennard makes the simple play offensive, sees the floor and finds cutters on the move, shows impressive anticipation in the passing lanes and keeps plays alive on the glass despite his fairly thin body and poor wingspan, things that should make him a Cameron Crazies fan favorite.

We're going to find out a lot about Jeter today. If he can rebound and protect the rim against the World team, he can do it against anyone in college next season.

Luke Kennard plays basketball in fivefinger barefoot shoes.

torontoduke said:
Jeter's weight (almost 240) is much better that I thought. We people not expecting him to be around 220?
I was just about to comment on this. He's really not that skinny. Mason is only 235 now. As an NBA player.

Jeter being ~240lbs is really encouraging considering none of it is bad weight. With his frame he would look really good with 20-25 more pounds, but I'm not really sure how that would affect his athleticism and quickness though.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom