Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2021-2022

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's uncommon to face guard a hot shooter, and I would argue it's actually simpler than reading the defense and angles. Just stick on him and follow him wherever he goes. As you trail him around a screen, you know you have Mark and Paolo sagging to help on anything inside; just don't give up a look from three.

The problem is Moore doesn't stick with Cattoor. As Cattoor cuts around the screen, Moore turns his back on Cattoor - not only losing sight of his man, but also taking himself completely out of position to get around the screen. There was no reason at all to turn inside. Tech doesn't run curls into the paint, and even if they did there was no spacing on this play for it.

I think Moore is just bad off ball on defense. He turns his back on his man too much without actually having some sort of a read on how to blow the play up, and he doesn't fight through screens.

The last play Childress posted is pretty much just bad awareness and effort by Moore. I don't think I'd agree that faceguarding all over the court is generally a wise strategy though, precisely because it's so easy to get picked off by screens anywhere at any time. This is kind of the same root issue as when Larranaga used to kill us with halfcourt ballscreens that we would inexplicably hit and try to fight over, except off the ball and moved to the corner of the court. Same silly philosophy of being 6 inches from your man's face even in situations where that's easily exploited.

And it may be simpler in theory, but that doesn't equal more effective or easier to execute in practice. You can't follow someone around a screen if you don't see it coming, and going over isn't always a viable path to stay tight. Plus, there's just more room for error when you cut off a wider swath of space from the ball than if you try to stay perfectly positioned right in front of your man's face at all times, all else equal. Takes less effort too.

How vulnerable do you think this particular defense is to getting beat by McKillop's backdoor cuts? My sense had been that they're less committed to jumping the passing lanes like in prior years but there are obviously still some major issues as you guys are detailing (really well).

From what I've noticed regarding Duke's defense this season is that it isn't necessarily committed to the on the line up the line defensive pressure philosophy that Coach K is generally associated with. Duke still pressures the ball far from the basket, but what Duke is doing off the ball seems to be dependent on the scouting report. I'm re-watching the Virginia Tech game, and there are examples of this early in the game. Below I'm going to link a clip I created on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxE8z0n_DT0wdMAoFClSP54UyaaBhxDqyB

At 0:04 on the catch in the slot (lane line extended) AJ Griffin is not denying one pass away. He's in a gap, shrinking the floor. If you go to roughly 0:06, Trevor Keels is playing far more aggressively than AJ was. Keels is guarding Storm Murphy, and it's my assumption that this was a personnel scouting based decision to try and prevent Murphy from getting the ball back once he's given it up. Eventually in this clip, Keels is denying Murphy by being active in the passing lane and not allowing a straight line pass.

In this clip, this is a great action from VT, and just really poor defense by Duke.

Duke had success earlier in the season with the small ball line-up defending Virginia Tech. In the ACCT Championship, Duke curiously did not return to that line-up, and VT just picked it apart by including Mark Williams in as many actions as possible, whether it be in ball screens, DHO's, or off-ball screens. In order for Duke to guard Virginia Tech competently, it is necessary to be able to aggressively switch actions, and to do their best to keep the ball out of the paint via dribble penetration. Mark struggles to aggressively switch this, leading to a wide open catch & shoot 3 from Cattoor. Additionally, Duke got abused in their drop coverage in ball screens because it allowed Virginia Tech to play downhill, an example of this being in the clip below.

Murphy simply rejects the screen and he has Williams and Keels spinning their heads. This is terrible defense that stemmed from a lack of execution. In my opinion, this should be an aggressive switch, or a more aggressive ball screen defense that will keep the ball on the perimeter. Allowing Storm Murphy, a very good point guard, to get downhill at his leisure, is not a recipe for success, especially when the drop coverage is that poor.

This is just ugly at this point- VT is exposing Duke and there's nothing that Duke can do about it unless the coaches made an adjustment, which they did not. Again, VT and Cattoor (?) get a wide open 3 because of Duke's inability/struggle to aggressively switch this because Mark is involved in the play.

How vulnerable do you think this particular defense is to getting beat by McKillop's backdoor cuts? My sense had been that they're less committed to jumping the passing lanes like in prior years but there are obviously still some major issues as you guys are detailing (really well).
No worries. Our ACCT defense effectively neutralized the backdoor cut threat at the expense of giving up open 3s. As long as Davidson can't hit 3s, we're fine.

The last play Childress posted is pretty much just bad awareness and effort by Moore. I don't think I'd agree that faceguarding all over the court is generally a wise strategy though, precisely because it's so easy to get picked off by screens anywhere at any time. This is kind of the same root issue as when Larranaga used to kill us with halfcourt ballscreens that we would inexplicably hit and try to fight over, except off the ball and moved to the corner of the court. Same silly philosophy of being 6 inches from your man's face even in situations where that's easily exploited.

And it may be simpler in theory, but that doesn't equal more effective or easier to execute in practice. You can't follow someone around a screen if you don't see it coming, and going over isn't always a viable path to stay tight. Plus, there's just more room for error when you cut off a wider swath of space from the ball than if you try to stay perfectly positioned right in front of your man's face at all times, all else equal. Takes less effort too.
I'm not advocating for all out face guarding, but I don't think it's hard to execute and I don't think it's a bad idea to use against a team whose main threat is outside shooting and who has a few especially good shooters. Especially on Cattoor with the night he was having.

When I picture face guarding though, I picture something along the lines of Fred VanVleet against Curry in the finals, where he chases him everywhere and gives him as little space as possible so Curry is never open. You should be using your body to block one path (e.g. block baseline when you're in the corner to prevent a backdoor), keeping an arm on the offensive player to know where he is, and then using your peripheral vision to watch for any screens, usually looking towards where the ball is.

I'm definitely not in favor of any sort of off ball defense where you just stare into the guy in the corner's chest.

“That’s not the biggest problem, though. The issues Krzyzewski and his staff are working to correct include guards like Trevor Keels, Jeremy Roach or Wendell Moore, Jr., not closing out on shooters to make them uncomfortable. It’s those same players getting caught up in screens despite the switches.”

edited to add “”

“That’s not the biggest problem, though. The issues Krzyzewski and his staff are working to correct include guards like Trevor Keels, Jeremy Roach or Wendell Moore, Jr., not closing out on shooters to make them uncomfortable. It’s those same players getting caught up in screens despite the switches.”

edited to add “”

I'm reading from that: We're gonna start Joey Baker!

Here are some more clips I created of Duke's defense.

In this clip below, Mark does a better job than in the clip I posted in my previous post in drop copverage. He's able to get into Murphy here by being low and meeting him closer to the screen. This takes away the pull-up and forces the drive. Keels does a horrible job getting over- this is lazy- to the point where they have to switch- Mark onto Murphy, and Keels onto the screener. This next action VT runs becomes nearly indefensible with Mark on the switch to Murphy. VT runs the down screen in the corner immediately after Mark gets switched onto Murphy. Moore is naturally calling for the switch, because I'm assuming Duke is switching all off-ball screens in their gameplan. Switching this is extremely difficult, if not impossible, with Mark now switched onto Murphy because it's a brutal cover for him and not something he often does. Moore switches, Mark is late, Duke gets roasted.

This clip highlights Duke's overall incompetence defensively in this game, because it's a play where Duke gets a live ball turnover. Keels gets cooked by Murphy here, and I don't know Duke's specific man to man rules, but in theory, there should be help from Banchero here. Banchero should be in help to wall-off the drive, Griffin sinks and is in rotation to guard 2- his man and Banchero's. Moore is ball-side and should not leave Cattoor- he stunts at Murphy but that's probably a mistake because if the ball is kicked to Cattoor that's likely enough space for him to get an open 3. There is no help that arrives from the weak-side. Banchero doesn't even see the drive happening until after Murphy has gotten beneath the ACC logo.

Last edited:

Wildly frustrating that this is a struggle for our entire backcourt a full 4.5 months into the season.

Last 5 minutes of a tight game against Davidson. Keels, Moore and Roach have all fouled out due to desperately flinging themselves toward jumpshooters. Paolo is the de facto PG down the stretch.

Here are some more clips I created of Duke's defense.

In this clip below, Mark does a better job than in the clip I posted in my previous post in drop copverage. He's able to get into Murphy here by being low and meeting him closer to the screen. This takes away the pull-up and forces the drive. Keels does a horrible job getting over- this is lazy- to the point where they have to switch- Mark onto Murphy, and Keels onto the screener. This next action VT runs becomes nearly indefensible with Mark on the switch to Murphy. VT runs the down screen in the corner immediately after Mark gets switched onto Murphy. Moore is naturally calling for the switch, because I'm assuming Duke is switching all off-ball screens in their gameplan. Switching this is extremely difficult, if not impossible, with Mark now switched onto Murphy because it's a brutal cover for him and not something he often does. Moore switches, Mark is late, Duke gets roasted.

This was also made possible by an obvious moving screen by Cattoor to block Moore from being able to switch. I hate how uncalled those are now in the NBA and college, and that if Moore tries to fight through it's more likely to be a defensive foul than offensive.

Feels like Duke has never really taken advantage of that as it's gotten worse over the past 10 years. Maybe has something to do with guys coming from high school and being more inexperienced in taking advantage of and defending moving screens.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom