Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2024-2025

How will this season end?

• Total voters
Hopes:
-Proctor to the portal
-MItchell to the portal
-Schutt to the portal
-Roach graduates or portals

-Blakes stays
-Stewart stays
-Foster stays
-McCain stays
This is fucking stupid.

We have 6 recruits coming in. Filipowski is going pro, Ryan Young and Begovich are graduating.

-Mitchell, Power, Stewart, Reeves, Blakes, Foster, McCain, Roach, Proctor, Schutt.

Players are going to have to transfer. There is not enough scholarship room.

I literally have him on ignore. But you fuckers won't do it, and so you keep saying things to him which then I end up quoting so I can see what he's saying and not just be reading a thread filled with replies to no one.

If Duke loses a bunch of the guards….will they ever be able to land a big time transfer? Do they need to?!

Last edited:
How would we feel about something close to this squad next season?!

Proctor/Blakes
Foster/Harris/Schutt
Isiah/Kon
Cooper/Power
KM/Sean/Pat/Reeves?

Mitchell and Proctor are big wildcards. Jared staying would be really awesome!

I have the same comment I have going into every off-season - balance is key.

Perimeter shooting, rebounding and defensive competency.

Proctor/Blakes
Foster/Harris/Schutt
Isiah/Kon
Cooper/Power
KM/Sean/Pat/Reeves?

Mitchell and Proctor are big wildcards. Jared staying would be really awesome!

I don't think this team is capable of winning it all. Too young and not a good enough back court. If Proctor, Foster and Blakes are back that's fine but they need another guard that can score/shoot a little bit because Blakes hasn't shown he can do that well enough. It's good to have a four guard rotation. I don't love having Isiah as the starting 3 considering how easy it is to bring in an experienced veteran wing from the portal, like that 6'7 shooter from Belmont.

Duke is the biggest brand in college basketball. The university has to bend on the transfer portal the same way they do on incoming recruits, otherwise Duke will be forever operating at a disadvantage compared to the competition. If there is a free agency and Duke is only operating in a fraction of the pool, that's a disservice to Scheyer, the staff, players, and fans.

We simply need more juniors/seniors in today's game. Unless they're bona fide lottery picks.

I think Proctor will be much better if he were to return next year. I think he will thrive defensively with Cooper and Khaman behind him. I think he’ll do better facilitating with more lob threats around him assuming Sean gets more time as well.

I’m not sure I see how Mitchell fits with the roster next year. I don’t want him at the 3 if he can’t shoot. I guess we could go for being all world defensively and offense rebound the shit out of everything?

We need to lose 4 players next year to have room for scholarships and probably might want to lose 2-3 more to improve roster construction. I assume Flip, and McCain (he’s 20 already I just found out) are gone. In addition if I had to pick another 4, I think I would choose Reeves, Blakes, Schutt and Mitchell (simply due to fit).

I’d guess in all likelihood we probably only keep two of Roach/Proctor/Foster though. And TJ is a big question mark.

We presumably have enough rim protection next year between Khaman, Flagg and Sean as he gets better on rotations where I actually think TJ and Schutt would be playable and effective offensively.

I think we need a solid big wing (3/4) and another ball handling guard. It would be nice too if we actually played the bench.

I've always felt that getting 3 of McCain/Roach/Proctor/Foster/Mitchell back is the make or break thing Scheyer has to be able to accomplish this summer. Can't go into his championship-or-bust third season with freshmen at the 3-5, when it's a weak class and there are still 25 year-olds everywhere else.

The question now is whether MAGA Mitchell at the 3 as one of those three would be acceptable. Knee-jerk reaction is "no". OTOH, he was still an objectively good player this year before he re-lost his mojo, and having a top 15-20 talent as a junior is generally a good thing.

Plus, there's precedent for him working at SF on a Jon team. We should have significantly better shooting at the 4/5 than we did in 2023, and that team was playing as good as anyone by the end of the year.

Ultimately, the decision on him just comes down to whether you think he can (re?)become a respectable open shooter this offseason. I'd probably roll the dice with him unless he just seems to not get that he needs to put up 50k shots before he puts on a uniform again, because he'd lock in a clear identity for the team if so, and it's one that tends to do well in March.

However, my (hopefully never relevant) hot take is that I think playing him next to two large guys - assuming they can actually hit open threes themselves - actually helps limit how much he can crush your spacing. You can't just put DJ Burns on him and sit in the paint if that means you're putting a guard on Flagg and a PF on Maluach.

A smaller defender can still sag off him if he's bricking shots, of course, but it's both higher risk and less benefit than if you can do that with a big.

Ultimately, the decision on him just comes down to whether you think he can (re?)become a respectable open shooter this offseason. I'd probably roll the dice with him unless he just seems to not get that he needs to put up 50k shots before he puts on a uniform again, because he'd lock in a clear identity for the team if so, and it's one that tends to do well in March.

However, my (hopefully never relevant) hot take is that I think playing him next to two large guys - assuming they can actually hit open threes themselves - actually helps limit how much he can crush your spacing. You can't just put DJ Burns on him and sit in the paint if that means you're putting a guard on Flagg and a PF on Maluach.

A smaller defender can still sag off him if he's bricking shots, of course, but it's both higher risk and less benefit than if you can do that with a big.
The thing is that aside from a weird stretch of 12 games to start this season, he actually has shot very well from three in his Duke career. The bigger problem is the volume, of course.

I didn't include the most recent four games because he didn't attempt a single three. But here were his stats from his favorite holiday on.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 12.49.13 AM.png

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom