Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

You are certainly in the right to question him, but who really gives a shit anymore.

If Scheyer works out, great, we'll have Duke basketball for 10 more years. If he doesn't work out, this program is cooked and we won't care anyway because the sport is dying and soon to be dead, and we were at least witnesses to Coach K and Duke an elite program for 30 years when the sport actually mattered.

I will continue to foolishly hope for them to just chuck 3s on offense. I know they only shot 5 of 20 tonight from three but I want them taking close to 30 threes a game with the team's overall shooting ability. I know it was MIA tonight but don't care. I also need McCain, regardless of foul trouble, to be taking more than 6 total shots.

Gotta hope this season is similar to what we were feeling about Hubert last season (ie he ain't it). Hubert looks like he turned it around (granted having a 22 year old RJ Davis and 24 year old Bacot helps a ton), gotta hope Scheyer can do the same next year.

Gotta hope this season is similar to what we were feeling about Hubert last season (ie he ain't it). Hubert looks like he turned it around (granted having a 22 year old RJ Davis and 24 year old Bacot helps a ton), gotta hope Scheyer can do the same next year.

I get your point, but our season is a disappointment, not a disaster. UNC was a dumpster fire last season.

Not smart enough to have noticed, but did he gameplan anything specific to get as many open 3 looks as we did against one of the best 3 pt shooting defenses?

I just got done watching. I liked how much middle ball screen we used and how we made it a point to hit the short roll man because of how aggressive JMU was being defending the ball handler. I’m assuming that was part of the game plan. It certainly led to some of those open threes. Proctor hit at least two, maybe three, from that little BLOB set he and Flip like to run. McCain gets loose in transition for two, hits the first one of the game because of them crashing on Flip inside.

Gotta do a better job of letting the emotions die off before slandering Scheyer going forward.

Beat a 12 seed and all of sudden the scheyers truthers are trying to climb back aboard? Pfft. Yall sound like the pussies being controlled by big pharma and the lame stream media.

Where are my true believers? Who amongst you shall swim with me?!?!

It’s all relative. Making the Sweet 16 looks good after the last two games going into the tournament, but Duke was #2 in the preseason poll and was expected to be a national title contender. I don’t think many here would have been pleased with a 4 seed and being swept by UNC back in November.

Jon now has the chance to silence any doubters with this game vs Houston. I’ll be impressed if he and Duke keep it close.

Only Year 2 as a head coach though. He’s still learning. Plus he’s handsome. I like him.

I don’t think the underachievement in the regular season was due to any serious coaching flaws, though. The lack of a true rim protector and Mitchell being completely incapable of hitting jump shots were the culprits, imo.

I’m excited to see what he can do with Flagg and Malauch next year, personally. On net, I don’t think we could’ve hoped for too much more from the first two seasons of the youngest P5 coach in the country, who is replacing the GOAT, no less.

We’ve had a gap of at least 5 years between Final Fours ever since 2004, so I wasn’t really expecting one this year, even with our preseason ranking.

Yeah but Houston is a monster team this year, if you told me we'd lose a close game to the KP #2/Torvik #1 team in the tournament, I think I wouldn't have been too disappointed.

Basically I'm mostly good with the season if we lose a close game game to Houston. If we get blown out ala UT last year that's a different story.

It’s dumb to predicate our belief or not belief in Jon off one game good or bad. If we get run out of the gym by Houston, folks will change their tune again.

But physics is right, compared to general expectations this year we underperformed, which regardless of excuses put out there is disappointing. We have shown the ability to play excellent defense without an elite rim protector. That’s not what led us to underperform this season relatively speaking. Not developing a scheme that maximized Mitchell early hurt us. Him not learning to shoot, being too Flip centric at times and not getting consistency out of Proctor were probably the biggest things that prevented us from reaching full potential over the course of the year. There were also injuries that weren’t Jon’s fault that hurt us too.

Jon is doing ok, but there are still plenty of things he can do better. I would like to see trends that show he is improving in areas of development for him. I remain critical of Jon’s ability to adjust esp on the fly and whether it is fast enough. I think he generally keeps composure but may stick with certain game plans for too long. He didn’t have to adjust today. In Jon’s two years I can’t recall us ever really coming back after being punched in the mouth. I would like to see some signal of this to show he’s growing here.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom