Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Did anyone hear Scheyer explain the end game against Houston? Didn’t foul up 3 with 8 seconds left when they only had 4 fouls and would have had to foul us 3 times to put us on the line.

Underperformed vs expectations. All the glaring weaknesses of this team didn’t improve from last year. We run around like headless chickens in games we get behind. Elite 8 was nice but lucked out with Shead getting hurt. And 1-4 vs UNC and State was pretty fucking awful, especially because 3 of those games really mattered.

This team just has the anti clutch gene, outside maybe McCain.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and have my own theory that this past two seasons (peak COVID year grad transfers + Portal + NIL bubble) are the best measure we've ever had of coaching ability, because there are 50 or so programs that are basically at parity in terms of players. Different strategies to build a roster, sure, but I think it roughly nets out between teams of young superstars and teams that have 5th/6th year, experienced players. The latter were able to build their rosters with perfectly fitting puzzle pieces due to more than double the transfers being immediately available and in some cases economically irrational NIL $$$ to throw around (I suspect).

In that environment, any coach that takes their team to an ACC title and E8 on consecutive years must be pretty damn good. And once the fog of war clears a bit, recognizing some other really great coaching jobs that have been going on in other programs (as well as some really poor ones).

With our squad in particular, no idea whether their general lack of toughness was inherent, youth, or coaching, but hopefully that trend turns around with Flagg.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and have my own theory that this past two seasons (peak COVID year grad transfers + Portal + NIL bubble) are the best measure we've ever had of coaching ability, because there are 50 or so programs that are basically at parity in terms of players. Different strategies to build a roster, sure, but I think it roughly nets out between teams of young superstars and teams that have 5th/6th year, experienced players.
Young superstars? There have hardly been ANY the past two years, though.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and have my own theory that this past two seasons (peak COVID year grad transfers + Portal + NIL bubble) are the best measure we've ever had of coaching ability, because there are 50 or so programs that are basically at parity in terms of players. Different strategies to build a roster, sure, but I think it roughly nets out between teams of young superstars and teams that have 5th/6th year, experienced players.
Young superstars? There have hardly been ANY the past two years, though.

Yeah the 2022 and 23 HS classes being INCREDIBLY weak hurt our program a lot, as have the COVID year and transfer portal, considering they don’t fit how we construct our roster.

My main complaint in the coaching was how often the offense bogged down. We've seen we can hang 93 when a team wasn't talented enough to gum up the works (JMU) or everything was clicking. But in many other circumstances -- whether it was for a half or a full game -- we looked way worse than we should have given the personnel.

Defense has exceeded my expectations in both seasons so far. The principles are really good, imo.

Finished 8th on offense for the season, but should probably have been more like 3rd. Also didn't play at the pace I think we needed to. An offensive improvement over last year, but I credit that to the personnel. McCain and Flip alone probably guarantees a top 15 offense.

This thread will grow by about 10 pages in the next few days, so not going to try to organize thoughts. One thing that initially comes to mind is whether Duke has had memorable comebacks under Scheyer. When the opponent “knocks us back” and Duke feels “game pressure,” how does Duke under Scheyer respond?

It felt like the game was over when NC State took the lead today. Is that just because I’m an old crusty asshole, or is that because there really hasn’t been any reason to have hope for a Scheyer team to stand up to that? I don’t watch many games anymore so I don’t know the answer to this.

I guess we could count coming back from horrendous starts against Houston and some others, but I’m thinking more of higher leverage situations. Maybe we’re spoiled by Duke doing something ridiculous seemingly every single season in Chapel Hill for the past 10-20 years under K.

We had some nice minor comebacks. Late vs. Clemson. Early versus State in Raleigh. Early vs. Houston. But the Clemson one was just a couple of possessions. And the State and Houston ones were both at the start of the game.

The other one I remember was Pittsburgh in Cameron last year. Not sure we were even down by more than six or so. And again, first half.

This thread will grow by about 10 pages in the next few days, so not going to try to organize thoughts. One thing that initially comes to mind is whether Duke has had memorable comebacks under Scheyer. When the opponent “knocks us back” and Duke feels “game pressure,” how does Duke under Scheyer respond?

It felt like the game was over when NC State took the lead today. Is that just because I’m an old crusty asshole, or is that because there really hasn’t been any reason to have hope for a Scheyer team to stand up to that? I don’t watch many games anymore so I don’t know the answer to this.

I guess we could count coming back from horrendous starts against Houston and some others, but I’m thinking more of higher leverage situations. Maybe we’re spoiled by Duke doing something ridiculous seemingly every single season in Chapel Hill for the past 10-20 years under K.
I can’t recall us ever really coming back under Scheyer but I think there is blame with him as well as the personnel. I can see us doing this next year with Flagg

I also remember Duke coming from behind from multiple possessions in the second half to win @ UNC last year and against Baylor at MSG in December. Should’ve won from that position @ UVA in 2023 too, but Lee Cassell took a piss on us.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom