Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Mullins isn't even a real coach. The assistants were the ones drawing up plays. He's basically a recruiting tool.

Was so fucking stupid for K to even schedule St. John's in the first place. The MSG experience made it totally worth scheduling a team that's much better than their record but still probably going 2-16 in their shitty conference.

Yeah we were saying that before the game. Zero upside to a win that wouldn't have helped at all from a seeding perspective, and of course disaster potential for a loss against a team that is much better than their record, something that the NCAA committee won't consider. We're trending toward a 3 seed right now, maybe a 4 if the wheels really fall off. But at least we got the Duke brand on national TV!!!!!!

If his team can't fucking show up for 40 mins and beat this St John's team that's on them,

Reactions: TBC
Was so fucking stupid for K to even schedule St. John's in the first place. The MSG experience made it totally worth scheduling a team that's much better than their record but still probably going 2-16 in their shitty conference.

Yeah we were saying that before the game. Zero upside to a win that wouldn't have helped at all from a seeding perspective, and of course disaster potential for a loss against a team that is much better than their record, something that the NCAA committee won't consider. We're trending toward a 3 seed right now, maybe a 4 if the wheels really fall off. But at least we got the Duke brand on national TV!!!!!!

If his team can't fucking show up for 40 mins and beat this St John's team that's on them,

If he gets no blame when his players don't show up to play, then he should get no credit when they try hard and play well.

Players try hard --> "K is one of the greatest motivational coaches of all time." (This is true, IMO.)

Players don't try --> "It's on them."

I think a major problem is inconsistency and I think it comes from our coaches. Some of these guys don't know when or if they're playing and that's horrible for a basketball player.

We're obviously not as deep as we originally thought we would be(shocker). But K needs to find a consistent rotation and quit having the starting 5 play an entire half. That's dumb. Pro players don't even do that. Allen was atrocious today and played 40 minutes. It's insane he can't find a spot before a TV timeout each half to let Trent and Allen sit for 3-5min but in reality only miss 1-2min of game time.

Duval played 32 minutes tonight. With how up and down he is, that's probably where he needs to be. More if he's on.

Allen and Trent played 40 minutes against a team that had lost 11 straight.

Bagley and Carter played 34. Bagley would've been around 40 if not for foul trouble.

I think we need about 25mpg from the bench. I think it would help them with confidence and the star players have a bit more left in the tank at the end. I'd like to see Bolden and AOC get about 10 minutes each and DeL get about 5 minutes.

Kentucky is 17-6. Duke is 19-4. Judging by recruiting rankings, both are miserable failures.

I have gained an incredible amount of respect for things like experience, continuity, leadership, etc. I would have dismissed these three as subordinate to raw talent as recently as a year ago. Pretty obvious to me now that you need the right mixture.

Coach made the decision to go the all-out-OAD route and he is reaping the consequences. We will either view losses like UVA and St. John's as growing pains on the way to ultimate March success or as harbingers of the inevitable early exit to which we will succumb. That is TBD. I have seen Duke teams make tremendous improvements before.

Today was a total clunker, but I ride with Five-Time (be careful what you wish for when wanting him to retire or be fired; none of the branches of his coaching tree coach defense, and they don't have the brand and aura of Coach K)

I think the best hire Duke could possibly make to succeed Coach K is LeVelle Moton from NC Central. Anyone from the K tree will be a cheap imitation. Hurley, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Dawkins, Brey- no thanks.

Make an inspired hire.

Bennett would probably be a monster at Duke. I think he plays that garbage offense because he has too. Give him blue chips and I think he'd put out a better product.

I think everyone here wants the next coach to come from outside the Duke family, but we’re realistic that it’s probably not going to happen.

What if K has a 3 year window of Tatum, Giles, Carter, Trent, Bagley, Barrett, Tre, Zion, Cam and doesn't get to the final four? I feel like with that much talent there should be 2 final four appearances as a minimum.

What if K has a 3 year window of Tatum, Giles, Carter, Trent, Bagley, Barrett, Tre, Zion, Cam and doesn't get to the final four? I feel like with that much talent there should be 2 final four appearances as a minimum.

I wouldn't include Giles.

I think everyone here wants the next coach to come from outside the Duke family, but we’re realistic that it’s probably not going to happen.
Yeah I'd be shocked if it's not Capel. I love him but don't think he's an elite coach. I want a great Xs and Os guy who can adjust.

Yeah I'd be shocked if it's not Capel. I love him but don't think he's an elite coach. I want a great Xs and Os guy who can adjust.

Maybe Capel has learned a lot since he was patrolling the court in Norman.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom