Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke-forum Death Pool 2013 - bfactor leads

I hope Springsteen does a tribute for me when I die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this should go in the terrible person thread, but I don't think I would have liked him had I been old enough to watch him. He was a loudmouth and annoying as hell in his heyday.

physicsfactor said:
Maybe this should go in the terrible person thread, but I don't think I would have liked him had I been old enough to watch him. He was a loudmouth and annoying as hell in his heyday.

Probably not. I didn't like him for that reason. The social and political commentary was fine, but the boxing shit-talking annoyed the hell out of me. In fact, if you go back and listen to some of his pre- and post-fight comments, he actually sounds a lot like Donald Trump.

Don't care about boxing. In fact I find it pretty barbaric and difficult to watch. Love him for his political stands.

I always thought he was pretty damn funny. A much more original - the original - shit-talker than most of today's fools.

One of my favorite experiences ever as an American happened in Indonesia 20 years ago. My wife and I were waiting for the ferry in Lombok one morning, and the ferry office had the opening ceremonies of the Atlanta olympics playing on this small black and white set. When Ali came out to light the torch, two dozen Indonesians, who spoke little to no English, simultaneously uttered 'Aaaaah, the champ' in a reverential tone. I can't imagine more than a few people in history who weren't wartime politicians have ever had that kind of worldwide cachet. Maybe Einstein or Pele. Maybe.

rome8180 said:
Don't care about boxing. In fact I find it pretty barbaric and difficult to watch. Love him for his political stands.

But he owed everything to boxing. Boxing is what made him special, boxing is what gave him an international platform to speak from. Without boxing, Muhammad Ali would in all likelihood have remained Cassius Clay and never left Kentucky. The odds that a black youth from Louisville, KY in the 1950s/early 60s would ever be more than a laborer, fry cook, or auto mechanic were on par with winning the Powerball lottery.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom