Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

DurhamSon said:

Just fucking with the rest of CBB right now

There has never been anyone cooler.

I seriously wonder how much of an effect him being such a fucking badass superhero of human overflowing with charisma and swagger has had on the program's brand. How can you not want to attach yourself to Justise freaking WInslow, though?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hilarious to me that we're not even really recruiting Dennis Smith and yet Carolina is relieved that this Jackson commitment crosses us off his list.

rome8180 said:
There's no way we should offer Javin DeLaurier, but he seems to really want to come to Duke. After Frank's announcement he followed DBP and Jon Scheyer. He favorited the tweet about Jackson's announcement.

Unfortunately any honest pitch would be "Come to Duke and be a 4-year player with a chance to play big minutes as a senior while winning titles."

I think he might go for the honest pitch. He clearly knows what we're doing right now, so a dishonest pitch isn't even possible. Kid is apparently a damn smart guy with a 4.0 gpa at a very good HS. I have a number of friends whose kids attend STAB and will try to get some scoop. If his head is screwed on right, a place on a great team playing against great players every day and being a strong contributor as an upperclassmen while getting a real education isn't a bad choice. Guys like Luke and Vrank and maybe this kid go a long way towards stabilizing a program.

Personally, after Giles, I'd rather any other commitments in 2017 be longer-term guys. I'd love to get DeLaurier for that reason, even at the expense of Gabriel.

It's fine if he understands the situation fully. If he wants to play immediately, or even really as a sophomore, he needs to go elsewhere.

rome8180 said:
It's fine if he understands the situation fully. If he wants to play immediately, or even really as a sophomore, he needs to go elsewhere.

No doubt. But any big-time recruit in HS right now with a pair of working eyes and ears knows what Duke is putting together. If fighting for time against the best of the best year in year out isn't factored into their decision, they are either functionally retarded, arrogant as hell, or looking at the situation more holistically. This kid ain't dumb so any interest is based on him believing he will be better than the best or being in it for more than a star turn.

Recruits are going to have a higher opinion of themselves than an objective third person would. This is no different than in any other context, like Ph.D. applicants who look at a program with a 50% dropout/failure rate and think "this won't happen to me, I'll work harder and be smarter than the average student there," or law school applicants who attend terrible law schools thinking they'll just work harder and be top of the class so they can get a job. This is how Gbinije happens. I doubt K is promising anything to any recruit, and I'm sure he expects many guys to come in and wash out regardless of how honest he is with them. They're not going to be honest with themselves. Except Thornton, because his dad has the right perspective.

Gbinije was a little different. He wasn't exactly looking at a who's who of future NBA all-stars playing his position. He must have - somewhat legitimately - thought ' sheeeeittt, I got this sf job in the bag', even if he never said so. Because he doesn't communicate audibly.

Gbinije was delusional; thought he was legitimate OAD material whose mom started crying in the stands because his ass was on the bench. Fuck him.

New scout 2017 rankings:

#2 Carter
#3 Duval
#4 Porter
#5 Bamba
#9 Harvey
#14 Trent Jr.
#32 Trae Young
#40 Tremont Waters

Give me Carter, ,Bamba, Harvey, Trent an Young, and call it a day.

I would like it if there were some other option between Trevon "Can't Shoot" Duval and Trae "Less Than Impressive" Young. Not sure why Troy Brown isn't a possibility. Both ESPN and 247 claim we offered. He's ranked in between the two and he's pass-first, which would be beneficial for our talent level.

247 even has us as the favorites, but those must be some old predictions.

We're probably going to lose at least one of Thornton/Allen/Jackson in addition to Matt graduating. Maybe two. So I wouldn't mind taking 2-3 guards in this class including a long term guy like Young.

Trent Jr I think should be the primary target still.

On film, I like Tremont Waters's game more than Trae Young's. But Young has to be better than he looks, right?

I've only watched him once, so it's not fair of me to judge him too harshly. All I know is that he had trouble even bringing the ball up the court against a vastly overmatched Bahaman team. His handle looked pretty bad.

He did hit a couple of threes. And his defense looked decent.

It wouldn't totally shock me if K is insinuating that visiting UNC will be held against a recruit re Duke's interest. Wouldn't this be at least the third time it has happened in the last three months? I know Frank bailed on a scheduled UNC visit, and I'm pretty sure there was someone else.

Obviously, you couldn't do this for every kid, but I could see it for those who clearly favor us more than them and for whom we have alternatives. Just to humiliate Roy a little more. K is just living in his head right now.

He should just recruit every player UNC wants. Get them to sign an LOI. And then one semester in, dismiss them from the team.

rome8180 said:
He should just recruit every player UNC wants. Get them to sign an LOI. And then one semester in, dismiss them from the team.

"Sure, go ahead and transfer, anywhere you want. Unfortunately, UNC is in our conference though, so..."
shrug.jpg

It's pretty natural for a kid to visit Duke and UNC on the same weekend, given the proximity. The fact that it isn't happening is a stunning indictment of UNC's status with the elite kids.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom