Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

If it's between Duval and Trae Young, I hope we go after Duval. Sure, his shooting is questionable. But he does literally everything else better.

I'm sure Cal would find a way to make him work, just like he made Derrick Rose and John Wall work. I would hope that Coach K is as smart as Cal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize Mo Bamba was on campus at the same time as Frank Jackson. I don't really see how we land both him and Carter if both Bolden and Jeter are still around. Jeter is often projected as a two-year guy, so maybe that won't be an issue.

Just judging off the video with this article, he seems like a good guy.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... tar-center

Bamba also visited Wake Forest this weekend. Even if he strikes out on the super elite recruits like Giles and Bamba, Manning is going to make that program relevant again for a few years before taking over when Self leaves Kansas for an NBA job. You can't beat the street cred of Danny Manning among teenagers these days.

rome8180 said:
Didn't realize Mo Bamba was on campus at the same time as Frank Jackson. I don't really see how we land both him and Carter if both Bolden and Jeter are still around. Jeter is often projected as a two-year guy, so maybe that won't be an issue.

Just judging off the video with this article, he seems like a good guy.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... tar-center

Sounds like Bolden's recruitment is getting a bit messier, to the point that Alabama might be his landing spot.

Interesting, considering just a few days ago certain insiders were all but calling him to Duke.

After Jackson commits, all I really care about from a recruiting standpoint re: our 2017 team is Giles. I don't really think we need to get some great top 15 recruit that's going to leave after a year. I'd rather add a 3-4 year player with the last spot; I just hate the idea of a class that's non-existent by the time they are juniors.

And speaking of that, in addition to Giles, seems to me that keeping Allen around for year three is going to be the biggest key to success. Otherwise, we're looking at one upperclassman on that team (Matt Jones). This is kind of where losing Semi (or not choosing a different multi-year guy) could hurt, much like the attrition in Cook's once large class probably hurt us in 2014. We think of 2015 as an extremely young team, but even they had three upperclassmen, one of which was a fourth year junior and one of which was a senior guard. I think most of us would agree that if we had to choose the positions we'd like to allocate to our experienced players, we'd choose the backcourt first.

We've been through this list, but since '08 (other than '12 UK) every champion has had substantial upperclass experience at the guard spot. I'm bolstering my own argument here, but Duke '15 had a senior Quinn Cook and a once in a generation type mature freshman at PG. Not sure if there's any chance of Allen leaving early, but hope not. Thornton alongside Jackson or Kennard (I think of Jones as more of a 3) would be the youngest backcourt to win it all in recent memory with the exception of Teague/Lamb in 2012. Don't think the firepower we'd otherwise have is comparable to Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones and Kidd-Gilchrist.

I agree that the key is hoping 26th in his HS class Grayson Allen stays in school as long as top 10 players James McAdoo, Reggie Bullock, John Henson, and Ty Lawson.

I know you probably meant upperclassman guards only, but technically Sean Obi will be like 22 years old that year too.

Honestly, Giles, Jackson, Tatum is a perfectly functional class. Will it be #1 in the nation? Maybe not, but who gives a fuck?

If we had to add one guy, I'd go with Gabriel rather than Bolden. I think he makes more sense in Duke's offense/defense and is a low enough ranking where he might not mind limited time as a freshman. And then the following year, I think he conflicts with Bamba/Carter less.

Hopefully it's another Winslow situation where Arizona is leading for a while and then the Duke fit is too good to pass up.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the perimeter player I want the most from that class. Porter could be a savant and better long term, but K almost never fails to get the most out of a guy like Harvey. Young/Trent/Harvey/Carter/Bamba is almost a perfect team.

rome8180 said:
Honestly, Giles, Jackson, Tatum is a perfectly functional class. Will it be #1 in the nation? Maybe not, but who gives a fuck?

If we had to add one guy, I'd go with Gabriel rather than Bolden. I think he makes more sense in Duke's offense/defense and is a low enough ranking where he might not mind limited time as a freshman. And then the following year, I think he conflicts with Bamba/Carter less.

Not that Scout rankings are gospel but Gabriel is now up to 10. Jackson fell to 17.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom