Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

DurhamSon said:
I know you probably meant upperclassman guards only, but technically Sean Obi will be like 22 years old that year too.

I kind of forgot about Obi. But then again, not sure he will be a rotation player, in which case he counts much less to the team's overall experience factor.

Hadn't seen the updated rankings. What a huge jump.

Bolden is 23 in the composite while Gabriel is 31. Not really a big difference, and I'm guessing at least one of the recruiting services hasn't updated their rankings yet. So scratch that point.

I feel like I could start my own recruiting website from my bedroom. I'd just steal "insider" info from other sites and from twitter. For my rankings I'd just copy whatever the best guys are doing -- Daniels and Telep or whoever -- and make minor arbitrary tweaks.

Would still be more accurate than Jerry Meyer.

Maybe Jackson will not be a OAD. 6-3 combo guards in the 10-20 overall recruiting range aren't usually OADs. That would be helpful. It doesn't seem like K even wants Duval or Brown (the inevitability of Trae Young's commitment is probably the biggest factor), and Thornton might actually be great and then go pro after 1-2 seasons. We're potentially looking at Young starting at point as a freshman, with no true backup (I guess it would be Kennard). I don't think Thornton will leave until he's dominating college, though, based on his dad being so reasonable about it.

Here is the current edition of my written-in-stone rosters:

2016-17
Smalls: Grayson Allen (jr), Matt Jones (sr), Frank Jackson (fr), Derryck Thornton (so)
Mediums: Jayson Tatum (fr), Luke Kennard (so)
Bigs: Harry Giles (fr), Chase Jeter (so), Marques Bolden (fr), Sean Obi (rs jr), Antonio Vrankovic (so)

Should be 8-9 good players and the eccentric duo of Obi and Vrankovic.

2017-18
Smalls: Grayson Allen (sr), Frank Jackson (so), Derryck Thornton (jr), Trae Young (fr), Gary Trent (fr)
Mediums: Luke Kennard (jr)
Bigs: Wendell Carter (fr), Mohamed Bamba (fr), Marques Bolden (so), Sean Obi (rs sr), Antonio Vrankovic (jr)

It would be nice to get another Medium for that season, like DJ Harvey. Maybe Kennard will blow up like the similarly skin colored Nik Stauskas and leave after 2 seasons. That would leave us with a pretty funky roster where I imagine we'd have 3 little slashing guys on the court with 2 big freaks most of the time. You could even say DJ Harvey is the key to everything at this point.

For whatever reason, we've been short on "mediums" in recent years. And the ones we have landed with the exception of Winslow have transferred after never playing.

So basically we've had Winslow and before that Singler. And Winslow played the 4 during the most critical period of the season.

I would say that either of Kennard or Trent probably have enough size to play the 3. That might even be the best place to minimize Kennard's defensive deficiencies, assuming he has them.

Duke Mediums only stay one full season. It's the disgusting way K-Rat does business these days.

Gbinije
Murphy
Hood
Parker
Ojeleye
Winslow
Ingram
Tatum

If you're a medium-sized basketball player who wants a great long-term college experience, you go to UNC.

#blessed

How did I forget about Hood? I guess I'm trying to mentally erase that season.

I'm counting Parker as a "big."

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Duke Mediums only stay one full season. It's the disgusting way K-Rat does business these days.

Gbinije
Murphy
Hood
Parker
Ojeleye
Winslow
Ingram
Tatum

If you're a medium-sized basketball player who wants a great long-term college experience, you go to UNC.

#blessed

If you go back to '99 and include Maggette, Dunleavy, Deng, Jones and Henderson (maybe even Boykin) and throw in Czyz, you've got the ultimate boom/bust position in college athletics. McClure and Singler are the only 4-year guys. Other than that you are at Duke for a year or two and become a lottery pick or totally wash out.

Pretty insane probability of real success though. Someone forward this to DJ Harvey.

Probably not the kind of place guys like Grant Hill or Shane Battier would really look at anymore.

Just fucking with the rest of CBB right now

Last edited by a moderator:
CK86 said:
This recruiting run is incredible.

Thornton, Ingram, Tatum, and Jackson makes four Top 20 recruits in less than 5 months since cutting down the nets.

There's no way we should offer Javin DeLaurier, but he seems to really want to come to Duke. After Frank's announcement he followed DBP and Jon Scheyer. He favorited the tweet about Jackson's announcement.

Unfortunately any honest pitch would be "Come to Duke and be a 4-year player with a chance to play big minutes as a senior while winning titles."

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom