Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

What's gross is Duke's indifference to wasting valuable years of these kids' life.

And if we're talking about business, the correct business decision is going elsewhere.

K will destroy this kid. It's hard to imagine him getting much PT even with only Duval, Allen, and Trent at the 1-3 next year and then he'll get absolutely buried if the 2018 wing recruitment goes anywhere near as planned.

Like I posted earlier, using one year of practice and no playing time at Duke as a springboard to 4 more years at UCLA/Florida while getting a free bachelor's and master's is a great idea for a player of Tucker's caliber. I would advise him to go this route as long as he's comfortable not playing for two years.

HAHAHA.

So much good about that, not to mention that his parents should have done a little research on that name. Pretty sure the Klan dude was around at that time.

We would lose that recruiting battle with Villanova.

"Duke" on both sides of the jersey and on a retired jersey in the rafters would be good.

If K is going to throw some scholarships away on guys like White and Goldwire, I'd like to see him go after guys with funny/interesting names for added benefit to the program's perception. There must be a 2-star junior with the last name "Butt" or something. Jake Butt was entertaining to Michigan football fans and haters alike. Really helped the program off the field.

This is where I am with Duke basketball. Don't even care if we're competitive until K retires. Totally satisfied after 2015, broken for having any expectations of 2017, now just riding it out hoping for scholarships to be given to Butt-named players.

I'm alright with the Tucker offer. We had to do something after missing on Knox. He seems like a good shooter and has good size, and good perimeter skills overall for his size. He's definitely more 2/3 whereas Knox was more 4/3. He seems like the kind of guy that will never be a good defender at Duke, which sucks. If he commits, I think the best case scenario is that he sticks around for 4 years and develops into a good player. If he actually develops like Quinn Cook and Amile Jefferson did at Duke, and not develop like Matt Jones, I think he could be similar to Josh Hart- I think there are some similarities in their games skill wise and Coach K and Wright have similar approaches in playing small on both ends. It also appears that Tucker and Hart are similarly ranked, at least on 247.

With all of that said, Tucker will be probably not be given the chance to develop like Hart did. It looks like we are at least landing 2 of Reddish/Barrett/Zion in 2018 which would completely diminish any role significant role Tucker could have as a sophomore. As a freshman Hart averaged 21MPG and 7ppg, as a sophomore 25mpg and then he exploded his junior season with 31mpg and 15.5 and 6.8reb.

Absolute worst case scenario is Tucker is decent enough next season where he winds us costing us 2 commitments from the 3 I mentioned earlier, but isn't good enough where K would put give him a serious role or minutes in 2018. If he transfers out it wouldn't hurt the brand because he's not a potential one and done or considered a top recruit.

All in all I guess it's fine. Maybe Coach K will learn to balance putting together a rotation capable of putting the team in the best position to win every night while also developing guys like DeLaurier in a few minutes a game in ACC. It would help for overall depth and keeping guys for the future. I always point to Grayson Allen- he is a prime example of why we should at least give a DeLaurier or a Jeter minutes during meaningful games, even if it is just a few minutes. Had Sulaimon not been dismissed, Grayson Allen probably remains buried on the bench, he doesn't play well in the Final Four and he may not have had the confidence to explode in 2016 like he did.

If Tucker comes to Duke I see him following the Matt Ryan of Notre Dame career path. Very good shooter off the bench gets 10-15 minutes per game as a freshman due to roster circumstances, sees role diminish as better and more versatile talent comes in his second year, transfers.

I could also see this, but I could see him having a path more like Andre's first 2 years, where even on a talented team as a soph, there's a role for him to snipe away off the bench.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
If K is going to throw some scholarships away on guys like White and Goldwire, I'd like to see him go after guys with funny/interesting names for added benefit to the program's perception. There must be a 2-star junior with the last name "Butt" or something. Jake Butt was entertaining to Michigan football fans and haters alike. Really helped the program off the field.

This is where I am with Duke basketball. Don't even care if we're competitive until K retires. Totally satisfied after 2015, broken for having any expectations of 2017, now just riding it out hoping for scholarships to be given to Butt-named players.

Here ya go. Every time he makes a play, the crowd can yell "SODOMIZED!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't looked at anything relating to Jordan Tucker until today. His junior season stats (senior stats aren't available) scream college PF and no possibility of anything beyond that to me, so I'm assuming he has changed his game or improved a lot in certain areas as a senior. Otherwise, he's going to be limited to playing PF at Duke.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jordan- ... -stats.htm

26 games
17.8 points
9.6 rebounds
2.7 assists
3.8 turnovers
1.3 steals
1.2 blocks
39% 2pt
35% 3pt
72% ft
43% 3pt rate
62% ft rate

Seems to be a smart shooter - takes a good number of 3s for a PF, gets to the line a lot - not sure how he ends up shooting 39% from 2. Maybe he's a terrible finisher?

Not a great 3pt shooter, probably best that he takes them wide open from the corners like a typical stretch PF.

Assist/turnover ratio is terrible, points to him being closer to a center than a perimeter player.

Seems like a good rebounder unless 9.6 rpg is misleading in a major way.

I'd like to see his senior stats, though. Looking at data that's over a year old is a bad way to evaluate a teenager's ability.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I haven't looked at anything relating to Jordan Tucker until today. His junior season stats (senior stats aren't available) scream college PF and no possibility of anything beyond that to me, so I'm assuming he has changed his game or improved a lot in certain areas as a senior. Otherwise, he's going to be limited to playing PF at Duke.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jordan- ... -stats.htm

26 games
17.8 points
9.6 rebounds
2.7 assists
3.8 turnovers
1.3 steals
1.2 blocks
39% 2pt
35% 3pt
72% ft
43% 3pt rate
62% ft rate

Seems to be a smart shooter - takes a good number of 3s for a PF, gets to the line a lot - not sure how he ends up shooting 39% from 2. Maybe he's a terrible finisher?

Not a great 3pt shooter, probably best that he takes them wide open from the corners like a typical stretch PF.

Assist/turnover ratio is terrible, points to him being closer to a center than a perimeter player.

Seems like a good rebounder unless 9.6 rpg is misleading in a major way.

I'd like to see his senior stats, though. Looking at data that's over a year old is a bad way to evaluate a teenager's ability.

There are a few unattractive numbers here: http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jor ... mary/88909

I hope he doesn't play PF. I am not looking forward to our tiny lineup of Duval, Allen, Trent, Tucker, Carter. Four freshmen, no size. Should be great.

He could play SF - it's just that you'd be putting an inefficient scorer and terrible passer at that position, which hurts a lot more than if he's your PF, and you'd be somewhat wasting a good rebounder by generally putting him further from the basket on defense and offense. We have seen too many times what happens to good mid-sized rebounders at Duke. They play the 4, or even the 5 in a pinch. If Duval is on the court basically all game, I don't want to see a less-than-great shooter at SF. You need great to elite shooters at SG, SF and PF to go with Duval and Bolden/Vrankovic/THE GREAT MOHAMED BAMBA, or else you need Carter providing some spacing at center.

Carter can hit an open midrange shot. I am less convinced of his ability to hit college threes. The high school three is a midrange shot, and he wasn't especially good at that. I think by year three as an NBA professional he will have developed a good three pointer. The mechanics are there. But I don't expect it at Duke.

I don't want a roster that goes 6'3", 6'4", 6'5", 6'7", 6'10". And the 6'10" for Carter is generous; I won't be surprised if he measures 6'8" at the NBA combine next summer. That lineup is going to be sub-100 in defense, given the height, the four freshmen, and Coach K. Of course, playing DeLaurier at the 4 wouldn't change much. And certainly Tucker provides more spacing. But I keep hearing from everyone that Tucker is more of a 2/3. The solution, imo, is Carter at the 4 and Vrank at the 5 and to emphasize something besides offensive spacing, but it will never happen.

Tucker is definitely coming to Duke as his final official visit is this Wednesday. Signing soon to follow.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom