Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Oh, I agree with that. I think it fits in with K not wanting to suffer sub-elite play in the current season. If each season could potentially be your last, why take the time to develop kids who might be valuable two years from now when you know you can win riding the studs you already have.

Also, IMO part of it is just Coach K's "trust" thing. Some guys who don't even seem to be that good earn his trust very early on. Some guys never earn it. Maybe it's as simple as communicating and rotating correctly on defense. Maybe it's a practice thing that we'll never see. I don't know, but that's my perception as an outsider anyway.
Yeah, the "trust" thing is baffling. There's always one, and usually only one, player who is "sub elite" who gets so much grace that it's inexplicable. Honestly, it makes the inequality of playing time that much more difficult to explain. Like, if you are obviously willing to play Matt Jones extended minutes during stretches where he was fucking shockingly awful, it undermines the whole process. It says, "if you are an elite recruit, I will play you no matter what. If you are the one guy that I irrationally trust who isn't an elite recruit, I will play you no matter what. If you are better than the one guy, but not elite, I won't play you no matter what"

It's weird.

We made David McCormack's Final Six. So there's that.

vIf0lAD.gif

Oh, I agree with that. I think it fits in with K not wanting to suffer sub-elite play in the current season. If each season could potentially be your last, why take the time to develop kids who might be valuable two years from now when you know you can win riding the studs you already have.

Also, IMO part of it is just Coach K's "trust" thing. Some guys who don't even seem to be that good earn his trust very early on. Some guys never earn it. Maybe it's as simple as communicating and rotating correctly on defense. Maybe it's a practice thing that we'll never see. I don't know, but that's my perception as an outsider anyway.

With regard to Semi - I think your second paragraph captures what happened in that situation. He had some rough edges but was not able to get floor time even with all of that potential. His ball handling and willingness to play physical on D were a couple items that he had a hard time with early on.

Silent G was kind of caught in a numbers game on the wing IIRC.

I prefer the current approach. Get as much talent as possible.

This is really only the 3rd year we will have had multiple OAD guys. The first time, we won a national championship. Injuries destroyed last year.

Full-blown Kentucky model is what works if you get the right horses and ride them (IE Don't platoon)

I do not want to revisit 2002-2009 when we had an all-time great JJ Redick with not enough talent to help him win a championship. After he left, we had some brutal losses in the early rounds of the tournament.

2010 was lightning in a bottle with a very easy path, let's be real.

Whether he won a title or not, watching JJ was a treat. That guy poured his heart into the Duke program. Also had all time great Shelden Williams on that squad.

The team had some bad bounces in 2004 & 2006 IMO.

2010 was the most difficult path per Pomeroy IIRC

I think that was discussed here and/or TDD a few years back

Wasn't Krzyzewski the coach of the 2010 team that, according to you guys, had a difficult path to a national championship? Isn't that the same guy some of you bizarrely want to retire or be canned?

WOW.

Not "according to us guys". According to reality. Cut your losses here.

Look, i'm in the accumulate-as-much-talent-as-possible camp with you, for the most part, especially given the vicious cycle we're now in with it. But there's absolutely no need to disparage an upperclassmen laden team like 2010 that by March was playing like a well oiled machine and dominating opponents with relentless second chance offense and elite level defense. A team that played multiple top 10 opponents in their tourney run, including Baylor in Texas, and the title game literally less than three miles away from their opponents' campus.

What did last year's team do when they played a team in "their" arena? Curled up into a ball like pussies and gave up 65 second half points to an awful scoring team, which was more points than 2010 Duke gave up in 5/6 entire NCAAT GAMES.

@AxeS24, we'll tolerate a lot of shit here, but we won't let dumbassery go unchecked. I suggest you go back and reevaluate that 2010 season and come back once you've been properly educated.

@AxeS24, we'll tolerate a lot of shit here, but we won't let dumbassery go unchecked. I suggest you go back and reevaluate that 2010 season and come back once you've been properly educated.
That's fair, and I appreciate that.

I don't view my comments as disparaging. I at least didn't intend that. "Lightning in a bottle" was meant to convey that it is unlikely to recruit that many quality guys who are going to stay 3-4 years like that team did. Scheyers and Nolan Smiths don't grow on trees, especially these days. You are much more likely to win a national championship with a team full of OAD studs like '12 Kentucky or '15 Duke.

The path comment is indefensible and fake news and I am ashamed I typed it. I will self-ban for a few days- just wanted to defend my "lightning in a bottle" comment.

You are much more likely to win a national championship with a team full of OAD studs like '12 Kentucky or '15 Duke.

This is demonstrably false:

2010 Duke no OAD
2011 UConn no OAD
2012 Kentucky 3 OAD
2013 Louisville no OAD
2014 UConn no OAD
2015 Duke 3 OAD
2016 Villanova no OAD
2017 UNC 1 OAD

That's fair, and I appreciate that.

I don't view my comments as disparaging. I at least didn't intend that. "Lightning in a bottle" was meant to convey that it is unlikely to recruit that many quality guys who are going to stay 3-4 years like that team did. Scheyers and Nolan Smiths don't grow on trees, especially these days. You are much more likely to win a national championship with a team full of OAD studs like '12 Kentucky or '15 Duke.

The path comment is indefensible and fake news and I am ashamed I typed it. I will self-ban for a few days- just wanted to defend my "lightning in a bottle" comment.

I will say I agree with one point you made; I don't think all the players on the 2010 team in this day and age would have stayed 3 and 4 years. I think Nolan, Singler, would surely have left early. Just like I believe Frank Jackson and Kennard would have been 3-4 year players back then. There's just too much money in the NBA now. It makes it harder because instead of just saying "recruit guys outside the top 15 so they'll stay 3-4 years" it's more like "recruit guys outside the top 30", at which point it's a lot harder to evaluate talent.

Also I wasn't being literal when I said you should be banned; that's just kind of a saying we've used here for years. Though I guess that could be lost on a relatively new poster. You'll find there are a few things sacrosanct on this board, namely the 2010 team, and Tyler Thornton.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom